Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New York State Driving Licence

New York State Driving Licence

Old Sep 18th 2008, 11:40 am
Just Joined

Delzchateau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New York State Driving Licence

Does anyone know if it is necessary to sit exams to get my NY state driving licence. I dread the thought of having to sit a written and a practical test. I will be resident in NY as of Jan 09 and I assume I cannot buy and register a car with a UK licence ? What a pain...the worst part of it is that they take and destroy your UK one once you've got a NYC one !:curse:
Old Sep 18th 2008, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New York State Driving Licence

Although things vary from State to state and I'm not in NY the driving test is no big deal. My written test was multiple choice and you could sit it until you passed. The driving test was a doddle too.....haven't heard about them taking your UK driving license and destroying it..never heard this one..where did you get this info from?
Old Sep 18th 2008, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

It is from the DMV website.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 12:39 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Delzchateau
Does anyone know if it is necessary to sit exams to get my NY state driving licence. I dread the thought of having to sit a written and a practical test. I will be resident in NY as of Jan 09 and I assume I cannot buy and register a car with a UK licence ? What a pain...the worst part of it is that they take and destroy your UK one once you've got a NYC one !:curse:
I got my license in NYC and they never asked for my UK one, but I'd heard the same thing and before I left the UK I applied to the DVLA for a replacement UK license telling them I'd lost the old one (So now I have two).

will you actually be in NYC?
Old Sep 18th 2008, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

Actually I will be in Westchester rather than Manhattan.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 12:59 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I will be in Westchester rather than Manhattan.
Well assuming Westchester County works the same way as the city (and I assume it should, since both are covered by the State DMV) they’ll essentially treat you like a US teenager getting their first license (this is based on my experience back in 2003 so it might have changed):

You have to get a learner’s permit from the DMV (take absolutely every form of ID you can think of, since despite what they have on the list as recognized ID I still ended up arguing with them about accepting my UK passport), and take a piss-easy written test. Then you have to take a mandatory “8 hour safety course” – they’ll tell you where you can get this, for me it took the form of sitting in a dingy room above a bagel shop on West 72nd street watching a lot of wobbly old videos about wearing seat belts and not driving while pissed. They also make you take another quick test, I think.

They give you a receipt to prove you’ve sat the course, which they should ask to see at the actual driving test. You can book the test via the DMV and take it in any car you like, I think. I booked a couple of practice lessons with a local instructor in a decrepit Ford Taurus held together with duct tape and also booked his car to take the test in. The DMV gave me a test appointment which read “8am at Havemeyer Avenue, the Bronx”. When I told my instructor what time they gave me he said “that means we’ll have to be there at about 7am at the latest”. It turned out that 8am was not the time of my test, but the start of the morning test session, they give laods of people this time and it's first come first served– we needed to be there early to be first in the queue – get there at 8am and you get a three hour wait. The driving test itself was a pretty simple cruise round a residential neighbourhood and shouldn’t be a cause for concern.

I hope this is useful, but remember this was July 2003, so things might have changed by now.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:51 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Things haven't changed much, and I think I sat above the same bagel shop.

1) take Mickey Mouse test at DMV office. Get permit.

2) take 5 hour course (of watching ancient videos).

3) take practical test (which consists of driving around the block) if you're lucky. NB that you need a legally-licensed driver to come with you for this, and you need the registration (and insurance?) card for the car you're driving.

They will take and store your UK license if you tell them about it. But having a UK license won't get you any privileges...so don't tell them about it.

I think it might be possible to register a car without a NYS license - the DMV website has everything (although not necessarily in the most accessible manner).
Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Jane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really nice

I took a lesson when I was there in July, just to familiarise myself with US procedures and car. For me the only major difference was executing a 3 point turn, my instructor was quite pedantic as to how this should be completed.

Other than that I was given a copy of the highway code and he thought I should breeze through the test. My fiance wants me to complete a defensive driving course to qualify for a 10% reduction on the insurance.

Good luck

by the way when my immigration is sorted out I shall be in Puttnam County where abouts in Westchester will you be???
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:22 am
Just Joined

hi Jane,
I will be in Westchester - probably Scarsdale or Rye. Am backwards and forwards between London and NY from now until Christmas.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Jane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really nice

You and me both.....I'm travelling next Sunday for 3 weekends. How long have you been doing this for?

My finace lives in Patterson about 30 miles north of White Plains, I'm still getting my bearings around the area but think it is a beautiful part of the world.

Have you had any entry problems with you travelling so often?

xx
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:30 am
Just Joined

I had my employer - Bloomberg - issue me with a visa so came in on it first time last week and all fine. I can imagine there might be an issue going backwards and forwards with no visa as they will probably claim I would be working. Bit tiring but it's good for the airmiles and the hotel points.

Off to look at houses this weekend...which should be interesting !
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

You should be fine with the visa then, I'm travelling on the Visa Waiver Programme so by looking at this forum it seems a bit more fraught with problems!!!!!!

Good luck with the house hunting

Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:38 am
Just Joined

You'll be fine.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Well so far so good, not had any problems, but 5 trips since Xmas and 2 more planned

best wishes
Old Sep 19th 2008, 5:32 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Off to look at houses this weekend...which should be interesting !
When you're thinking about transport: remember that you won't necessarily be able to park at the station. There's a waiting list for residents' passes and the day parking fills up early.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.