Reload this Page >

New York School Recommendations

New York School Recommendations

Old Jan 29th 2018, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

CaliMo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New York School Recommendations

Hi, newbie here!

We are looking at a possible move to New York for 2-3 years for my husband's job. There are obviously many things to think about, but my first two major things to tackle are schools and renting a property in a nice area!

We have two kids aged 9 (year 5) and 7 (year 2) currently at a Primary school.

We are interested in Private schools in the New York area as part of our relocation package and would love to hear any suggestions you might have as to which ones are good, and maybe ones to avoid!

Once i've a good idea about which schools are suitable i will be focusing on up to three areas to look for a property.

I plan to visit NYC in the next month to scout out areas and visit schools if possible.

Both our kids are very confident, sociable children who enjoy sport, and they are both doing well academically at the moment!

We are looking to spend $6,000-$8,000 per month rent on a 4 bed place as a guide.

Any help greatly received! Thank you.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New York School Recommendations

Are you looking for the children to stay in the U.K. system as there is a private UK school in NYC, l think it is about 40k a year per child. It is the only one in the area l believe. There are lots of beautiful commutable areas around Manhattan that are very family friendly with a mix of good public and private schools, Westchester, in NY, Connecticut, NJ. I am over in NJ so unfortunately can only offer decent info on this area, let me know if you do but there are plenty of people on here that know NY and Connecticut as well.
I have 6 yr old and came out last summer so we are still quite new but l just wanted to say how much we are enjoying it, our little one loves school and all the activities and as a family we are really enjoying all the opportunities the area offers. Good luck with your move.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 1:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

As Ecto stated, a lot depends on where you are residing and what type of private school you want your children to attend. If you are living in Manhattan, then your choices are many.

If you chose to live in Westchester County, NY, just outside of Manhattan and with a commute by rail, then I might suggest the Hudson River Valley towns for residence. i.e. Irvington, Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow, Hastings, Dobbs Ferry, and further north Croton-on-Hudson and the Hackley School for the kids.

https://www.hackleyschool.org/page

Last edited by Rete; Jan 29th 2018 at 1:23 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

Hi and thanks for your reply.

We are not sure whether to keep kids in the UK system or not, I don't know what the benefits are other than them being able to slot back in more easily on our return. If anyone has experience of this that would be a huge help! I'm aware of the British Intenational School but being it's in Manhattan it will be a bit of a pain to commute there if we want to live a little further out.

I saw some lovely places to live in Jersey City on Zillow, what can you tell me about NJ, how is the commute to Manhattan? Husband will be working in the financial district.

Thanks
Old Jan 29th 2018, 1:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If you wanted the eastside of Westchester County, NY, I would suggest towns such as Bronxville, Scarsdale, Purchase, Rye Brook, Armonk, Briarcliff, Somers.

Connecticut is also a great place to live, especially the coastal towns such as Greenwich.

Sorry, I'm not a fan of New Jersey but it apparently does have lovely little towns that have become enclaves for Brits and will let others expand on this.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 2:06 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliMo

I saw some lovely places to live in Jersey City on Zillow, what can you tell me about NJ, how is the commute to Manhattan? Husband will be working in the financial district.

Thanks
NJ is a better commute to the downtown financial district than Westchester County, NY, or Fairfield County, CT. You might want to search for posts by Englishmum, who has provided some very comprehensive information about living in NJ in prior threads.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
NJ is a better commute to the downtown financial district than Westchester County, NY, or Fairfield County, CT. You might want to search for posts by Englishmum, who has provided some very comprehensive information about living in NJ in prior threads.
Thanks, good to know the commute is easier, I'll have a look at Englishmum.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
As Ecto stated, a lot depends on where you are residing and what type of private school you want your children to attend. If you are living in Manhattan, then your choices are many.

If you chose to live in Westchester County, NY, just outside of Manhattan and with a commute by rail, then I might suggest the Hudson River Valley towns for residence. i.e. Irvington, Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow, Hastings, Dobbs Ferry, and further north Croton-on-Hudson and the Hackley School for the kids.

Thank you, I'll have a look at those areas.
When you say type of private school what do you mean? Apologies but this is new to me! They will not be boarding, and will be in Elementary school I guess from their ages?

Last edited by Bob; Jan 29th 2018 at 7:52 pm. Reason: fixing quote
Old Jan 29th 2018, 6:27 pm
Concierge

Thank you, I'll have a look at those areas.
When you say type of private school what do you mean? Apologies but this is new to me! They will not be boarding, and will be in Elementary school I guess from their ages?
British International or just a private school. Was not referring to boarding schools. Horse of a different color.

Last edited by Bob; Jan 29th 2018 at 7:53 pm. Reason: Fixing quote
Old Jan 30th 2018, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and thanks for your reply.

We are not sure whether to keep kids in the UK system or not, I don't know what the benefits are other than them being able to slot back in more easily on our return. If anyone has experience of this that would be a huge help! I'm aware of the British Intenational School but being it's in Manhattan it will be a bit of a pain to commute there if we want to live a little further out.

Thanks
The location of the British school meant it wasn't practical for us either and we have actually gone into the public system here and have been hugely impressed.
In terms of location, along the water you obviously have Jersey City and Hoboken which are nice areas although with kids, personally l would base myself in one of the commuter towns, Summit, Milburn, Short Hills, Westfield, etc. They all have mainline trains into Manhattan, for the financial area, you would change at Hoboken. I have a friend who works there and drives and parks in Jersey City each day and then gets the ferry over. It isn't a long drive at all from Milburn or Short Hills.
The towns mentioned are beautiful, they are all walking towns with great restaurants, amenities, schools and a real sense of community, which l think would certainly enhance your stay here, especially as a family.
Are you coming over for a visit before the move?
Old Jan 30th 2018, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ecto17
The location of the British school meant it wasn't practical for us either and we have actually gone into the public system here and have been hugely impressed.
In terms of location, along the water you obviously have Jersey City and Hoboken which are nice areas although with kids, personally l would base myself in one of the commuter towns, Summit, Milburn, Short Hills, Westfield, etc. They all have mainline trains into Manhattan, for the financial area, you would change at Hoboken. I have a friend who works there and drives and parks in Jersey City each day and then gets the ferry over. It isn't a long drive at all from Milburn or Short Hills.
The towns mentioned are beautiful, they are all walking towns with great restaurants, amenities, schools and a real sense of community, which l think would certainly enhance your stay here, especially as a family.
Are you coming over for a visit before the move?
Thats great, thanks for the info. I'll have a look at those towns.

Yes i am coming over in the next 3-4 weeks and plan to visit three areas and roughly three schools.

We are definitely thinking private school for the kids, are there any in New Jersey you would recommend?

I'm also researching Westchester County and Nassau County, along with parts of Brooklyn.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 6:31 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

New York City, including Manhattan and Brooklyn, are very different to New Jersey and other parts of New York state. If I was only staying for 2 years, I would want to live in New York City and do as much possible. There's quite a large ex-pat British mums community in Manhattan which is nice when moving to a new country with kids.

There are some great public schools in New York, but there are some really horrendous ones, and you're not guaranteed a space in one of the good ones. I've heard good things about the British International School and there is a new British school called Wetherby-Pembridge. Getting in schools, public and private is highly competitive. Check out nycschoolhelp.com and consider hiring a school consultant or going to one of their talks.

If you're considering a move to the suburbs, check out Suburban Jungle Realty. I've never used them, but I know some people who have.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kateinbrooklyn
New York City, including Manhattan and Brooklyn, are very different to New Jersey and other parts of New York state. If I was only staying for 2 years, I would want to live in New York City and do as much possible. There's quite a large ex-pat British mums community in Manhattan which is nice when moving to a new country with kids.

There are some great public schools in New York, but there are some really horrendous ones, and you're not guaranteed a space in one of the good ones. I've heard good things about the British International School and there is a new British school called Wetherby-Pembridge. Getting in schools, public and private is highly competitive. Check out nycschoolhelp.com and consider hiring a school consultant or going to one of their talks.

If you're considering a move to the suburbs, check out Suburban Jungle Realty. I've never used them, but I know some people who have.
Thank you, i'll have a look at your suggestions. I agree that experiencing Manhattan is a must, but on looking at rental prices you get less for your money. We are used to living in a large detached house with parking and a decent sized garden, within an hour of London by train. I am not sure that city living is right for us as it could be too noisy and cramped, plus schools seem even more expensive!

Can you explain the differences between living in Manhattan or Brooklyn, and then living further out such as New Jersey, Nassau or Westchester counties please? I realise the commute is further but it must be quieter and you get more space for your money? I do like the style of houses in Brooklyn more than the suburban ones though!

thank you
Old Jan 30th 2018, 9:01 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Can you explain the differences between living in Manhattan or Brooklyn, and then living further out such as New Jersey, Nassau or Westchester counties please? I realise the commute is further but it must be quieter and you get more space for your money? I do like the style of houses in Brooklyn more than the suburban ones though!

thank you
Basically, Brooklyn is a city environment, whereas you will be surprised how rapidly you are into lovely countryside and a rural atmosphere in NJ, Westchester, and CT. Long Island also has countryside when you get further out, but is generally more suburban than rural.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you don't wish to share, please don't but where abouts are you guys in the U.K.? Might help with the advise if you like where you already are.
l am a bit like you, l love the city and visiting it but l wouldn't want to live in there. For me, it is a lovely balance here, being in an established smaller community but within easy reach of NYC.
I guess the difference between living in Manhattan and Brooklyn versus the commuter towns is very similar to living in London or greater London versus the Home Counties. Just preference!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.