Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New York at New Year

New York at New Year

Old May 3rd 2008, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice
Default Re: New York at New Year

Originally Posted by penguinbar
It really is easy to get around and as Big D mentioned it's not really that big of a place! London is much more spread out. Most of New York is laid out like a grid and most of the streets are numberd so it's pretty easy to navigate. It gets more confusing downtown when you are in Greenwich Village , Soho, and Wallstreet. Don't be afraid to ask for directions either. People ask me all the time and I'm glad to help. I don't think the men like it when I tell their wives and girlfriends all the great places to shop though! LOL
Penguinbar - you have to tell us more!!!!
Old May 3rd 2008, 9:29 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denzil75
Penguinbar - you have to tell us more!!!!
What would you like to know?
Old May 3rd 2008, 10:46 pm
Playing the game

Pinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the rough

Wow, what an amazing amount of information!! If we can't find a good hotel and a great place to spend the new year after this then I'm definitely not trying hard enough. I will definitely check out the site you guys have included, I'm getting more and more excited about this trip with every visit to this site

Got a nice lazy day here today in Adelaide (just got up and it's great to have loads to read with my coffee!!) so I'll come back with any specific questions, thanks. OH is the shopper so Penguinbar, any tips on that would be great. He's a geek though so any tips on the techie places to go would be great - just not too many as I have to trapse round with him!! You can imagine how much fun Hong Kong was for me.....

Thanks again everyone and if you're ever visiting Australia let me know and I'll help all I can
Old May 3rd 2008, 10:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pinkie
Wow, what an amazing amount of information!! If we can't find a good hotel and a great place to spend the new year after this then I'm definitely not trying hard enough. I will definitely check out the site you guys have included, I'm getting more and more excited about this trip with every visit to this site

Got a nice lazy day here today in Adelaide (just got up and it's great to have loads to read with my coffee!!) so I'll come back with any specific questions, thanks. OH is the shopper so Penguinbar, any tips on that would be great. He's a geek though so any tips on the techie places to go would be great - just not too many as I have to trapse round with him!! You can imagine how much fun Hong Kong was for me.....

Thanks again everyone and if you're ever visiting Australia let me know and I'll help all I can
Do a search of the USA forums for 'New York City'. Over the last year or so there have been several threads giving information about what to do and see and where to stay. Give me a shout if you can't find them.
Old May 4th 2008, 12:18 am
Playing the game

Pinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Do a search of the USA forums for 'New York City'. Over the last year or so there have been several threads giving information about what to do and see and where to stay. Give me a shout if you can't find them.
Hi Jerseygirl, I did do a search as I figured people would very possibly have asked this question before - using the Aussie forum a lot I see people ask the same questions time and time again too! I just couldn't find anything very recent or about New Year specifically, maybe I used the wrong search terms?

I have read a few other threads about stuff to see when we are there but if you know of any good threads I might have missed please do let me know
Old May 4th 2008, 1:33 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pinkie
Hi Jerseygirl, I did do a search as I figured people would very possibly have asked this question before - using the Aussie forum a lot I see people ask the same questions time and time again too! I just couldn't find anything very recent or about New Year specifically, maybe I used the wrong search terms?

I have read a few other threads about stuff to see when we are there but if you know of any good threads I might have missed please do let me know
Hey Pinkie, For New Years eve in New York find a nice restaurant or pub. Bars in New York City are open untill 4am. As I said earlier avoid Times Sqaure. When I managed a place there a few years ago the owners friend was a police Leiutenant and about 20 minutes before midnight he led me and two others passed all the people who had been waiting since that morning to watch the ball drop. It was a neat experience but I would not have stood there all day to experience it. I think your best bet is to try and find a package deal and not do theflight and hotel seperately. There are lots of techie stores in New York but you need to be careful with alot of them. Best Buy and Circuit City are chains but reputable. I was in Australia two years ago. Went to meet a guy that I had met online. Long story but Thank God it never went anywhere! That was in Melbourne and I also have friends in Sydney. I loved it and can't wait to go back!
Old May 4th 2008, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

What would you like to know?
More on the shopping please! If you know of any area that have boutiques etc that sell clothes/accessories inculding vintage would be great. I've done the usual high street stores and dept stores, living in Jersey I'm familiar with these. Also have you done any of the flea markets in New York? I sew and love to make to clothes/bags etc so I also need to check out the fabric stores in the garment district. Thanks for any help.
Old May 4th 2008, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Pinkie, For New Years eve in New York find a nice restaurant or pub. Bars in New York City are open untill 4am. As I said earlier avoid Times Sqaure. When I managed a place there a few years ago the owners friend was a police Leiutenant and about 20 minutes before midnight he led me and two others passed all the people who had been waiting since that morning to watch the ball drop. It was a neat experience but I would not have stood there all day to experience it. I think your best bet is to try and find a package deal and not do theflight and hotel seperately. There are lots of techie stores in New York but you need to be careful with alot of them. Best Buy and Circuit City are chains but reputable. I was in Australia two years ago. Went to meet a guy that I had met online. Long story but Thank God it never went anywhere! That was in Melbourne and I also have friends in Sydney. I loved it and can't wait to go back!
Hey Penguinbar! My OH just left for NYC this morning for work. He'll only have this afternoon and possibly a little time tomorrow morning to poke around town and has never been. He's staying on Times Square (that's where the convention is). Is there one thing in particular that you'd recommend that he see? I know that's a tough question - I'd imagine you could spend a lifetime and not see NYC.
Old May 4th 2008, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by KJ2007
Hey Penguinbar! My OH just left for NYC this morning for work. He'll only have this afternoon and possibly a little time tomorrow morning to poke around town and has never been. He's staying on Times Square (that's where the convention is). Is there one thing in particular that you'd recommend that he see? I know that's a tough question - I'd imagine you could spend a lifetime and not see NYC.
Hi. He difinately should go down to Ground Zero. While down there he can go to the Staten Island Ferru and take the boat acroos and vback so he can see the Statue of Liberty. Its a 20 min ride each way and it's free. He can walk around Times Squre as well. He can wander around Chinatown and Little Italy and go around Wall Street and got to Greenwich Village. The West Village is nicer than the East. If he wants to shop. Tell him there are lots of stores on 34th Street. This sounds like alot but most of the things I mentioned are quite near each other. Hope I was some help!
Old May 4th 2008, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by denzil75
More on the shopping please! If you know of any area that have boutiques etc that sell clothes/accessories inculding vintage would be great. I've done the usual high street stores and dept stores, living in Jersey I'm familiar with these. Also have you done any of the flea markets in New York? I sew and love to make to clothes/bags etc so I also need to check out the fabric stores in the garment district. Thanks for any help.
Hi! I would go down to the Est Village and Soho for vintge. Not sure of specific stores but go to 8th street and round Bleecker and West 4th and Cornelia streets.Lots o boutiques there. There is the 26th street Fle market and the 77th street flea market. also since summer is coming up there are loads of street fairs! I love them! Great bargains. Most of them are held on Sundays. Google NYC street fairs and you should get the dates. They are usually 11am-6 pm. Everyone please excuse my typing! Feel free to ask anyquestions. Glad to be of help.
Old May 4th 2008, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. He difinately should go down to Ground Zero. While down there he can go to the Staten Island Ferru and take the boat acroos and vback so he can see the Statue of Liberty. Its a 20 min ride each way and it's free. He can walk around Times Squre as well. He can wander around Chinatown and Little Italy and go around Wall Street and got to Greenwich Village. The West Village is nicer than the East. If he wants to shop. Tell him there are lots of stores on 34th Street. This sounds like alot but most of the things I mentioned are quite near each other. Hope I was some help!
Thanks for the tips! He's planning to go see Les Paul tomorrow night, but didn't have plans otherwise. I relayed your advice to him. I'm glad you mentioned that those locations weren't too far apart because it did sound like a lot! He's currently waiting for a shuttle at LaGuardia and called me amused at a cab driver who drove by, blasting Pakistani music.

I keep envisioning my husband arriving a bit like Crocodile Dundee in NY - though without the hat and Aussie accent.
Old May 4th 2008, 4:37 pm

Thanks for the tips! He's planning to go see Les Paul tomorrow night, but didn't have plans otherwise. I relayed your advice to him. I'm glad you mentioned that those locations weren't too far apart because it did sound like a lot! He's currently waiting for a shuttle at LaGuardia and called me amused at a cab driver who drove by, blasting Pakistani music.

I keep envisioning my husband arriving a bit like Crocodile Dundee in NY - though without the hat and Aussie accent.
Please tell him to get a day pass for the subway as well. It costs about $7 and he can use it as many times as he wants for 24 hours.
Old May 4th 2008, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Please tell him to get a day pass for the subway as well. It costs about $7 and he can use it as many times as he wants for 24 hours.
Good tip! He's going to call me once he gets to the hotel and I'll relay this. Thank you!!
Old May 4th 2008, 4:41 pm

Good tip! He's going to call me once he gets to the hotel and I'll relay this. Thank you!!
You're welcome! What hotel is he staying at? I can tell you bit more about it and the area that he's in if you'd like
Old May 4th 2008, 4:42 pm

I forgot to say that the pass for the subway is called the metrocard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.