Reload this Page >

New York city for toodlers

New York city for toodlers

Old Sep 27th 2012, 2:59 pm
Banned

penney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New York city for toodlers

Thank you everyone.....

So based on my research so far, I think am just going to fly into NY from Syracuse for a day with my son (4yrs old) instead and leave at night. If I am to visit the places below from any of the NY airports, where is a good central spot for easy access to the other places?

South Street Seaport
Intrepid Sea Air Space Museum
Staten Island Ferry or Circle Line cruise
Statue of Liberty
Central Park Zoo
FAO Schwartz toy shop
Toys r us
Empire State Building
Canal street
9/11 memorial
Old Sep 27th 2012, 3:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penney
Thank you everyone.....

So based on my research so far, I think am just going to fly into NY from Syracuse for a day with my son (4yrs old) instead and leave at night. If I am to visit the places below from any of the NY airports, where is a good central spot for easy access to the other places?

South Street Seaport
Intrepid Sea Air Space Museum
Staten Island Ferry or Circle Line cruise
Statue of Liberty
Central Park Zoo
FAO Schwartz toy shop
Toys r us
Empire State Building
Canal street
9/11 memorial
If your children are around 4 I would rule Canal Street out.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 3:14 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penney

where is a good central spot for easy access to the other places?

South Street Seaport downtown
Intrepid Sea Air Space Museum west side
Staten Island Ferry or Circle Line cruise downtown
Statue of Liberty downtown
Central Park Zoo midtown
FAO Schwartz toy shop midtown
Toys r us cross off
Empire State Building midtown
Canal street cross off
9/11 memorial downtown
You would probably get the bus from either LGA or JFK to Grand Central Station (also worth seeing) in midtown at 42nd Street. Why don't you Google for all the addresses and figure it out from there. I've given some ideas of areas above. I don't think you're going to get it all done. (I'd cross off Toys r Us and stick with FAO Schwartz, for example). Also agree Canal Street would not interest a small child. Perhaps you should look up the open double decker bus tours -- that might help you to get around and see things.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 9:06 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

There are also really fun little kids play areas within Central Park, 3 or 4 of them. I also took my daughter to tea at the Plaza (over the road from FAO Schwartz). It's a bit spendy, but if you can swing it definitely worth it. Dillon's sweet shop is also worth a visit, that's on the Upper East Side (I think...).

Naomi.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

I am from upstate NY. I highly recommend taking the train instead. We never flew. It's cheaper and more convenient! If the Syracuse schedule doesn't fit well, drive to Albany as there are trains hourly to Penn Station.

Last time I was in NYC I took the train from Albany to Penn (schedule out of Syracuse was restrictive) then stayed at NYMA hotel about two blocks from Penn near the empire state bldg. I paid $200 a night inc. breakfast. Cheaper hotels can be found in the financial district... But other times I've spent less that $150 for a four star near times square on price line.com.

Nothing is easy from any airport. We often did day trips too, but on Amtrak. NYC can involve a lot of walking so for a day trip, you can't pick too much to do...4 year olds may bore with museums..I'd recommend outdoor activities...Rowing boats in central park or the horses...The zoo there...and there used to be a carrousel. FAO Schwartz is nearby as well.

Then I'd do a circle line cruise around the harbor.

Autumn is wonderful in NYC!
Old Sep 28th 2012, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

SEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to behold

I've done NYC with toddlers several times and I've learnt from bitter experience that you really want to go easy.

Forget the Empire State, you have to stand in about three long (hour+) queues to get to the top;
forget anything around Times Square, unless your idea of a good time is Oxford Street on Christmas Eve x 10;
Definitely forget Canal Street, same thing applies;
Statue of Liberty, same as Empire State;

All those things will be perfect to do when you have a teenager.

Instead, I would pick a couple of things that are only in NY (Central Park / Greenwich Village / a museum you are particularly interested in), and plan on stopping every hour or two at a typical diner to have a sit down with a piece of cheesecake and a coffee. Think more about soaking up the atmosphere of the city rather than ticking the tourist boxes.

Have a look at this:

http://www.nycgovparks.org/facilities/playgrounds/

Make a few notes about where playgrounds are - the one in the West Village at Hudson and W 11th is good -- because while your kid plays, you can do some quality people watching.

Basically, don't try to fit too much in - all that stuff will still be there for next time.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 2:04 pm
Banned

penney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SEL_boy
I've done NYC with toddlers several times and I've learnt from bitter experience that you really want to go easy.

Forget the Empire State, you have to stand in about three long (hour+) queues to get to the top;
forget anything around Times Square, unless your idea of a good time is Oxford Street on Christmas Eve x 10;
Definitely forget Canal Street, same thing applies;
Statue of Liberty, same as Empire State;

All those things will be perfect to do when you have a teenager.

Instead, I would pick a couple of things that are only in NY (Central Park / Greenwich Village / a museum you are particularly interested in), and plan on stopping every hour or two at a typical diner to have a sit down with a piece of cheesecake and a coffee. Think more about soaking up the atmosphere of the city rather than ticking the tourist boxes.

Have a look at this:

http://www.nycgovparks.org/facilities/playgrounds/

Make a few notes about where playgrounds are - the one in the West Village at Hudson and W 11th is good -- because while your kid plays, you can do some quality people watching.

Basically, don't try to fit too much in - all that stuff will still be there for next time.

SEL....thanks for this. You have just validated my thought. I was afraid of trying to do so much in a short time, especially with my guy being the energetic type with the attention span of a peanut :-)

I know he would want to go to FAO Schwartz for sure and the central park zoo