Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New to VA, advice welcome

New to VA, advice welcome

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 12:42 am
Just Joined

willowstar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to VA, advice welcome

Just moved from the UK to VA (west of Washington), wondered if there are any Brits living here who can give advice on life in the area?
Old Feb 24th 2010, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

coachlover1000 is a name known to allcoachlover1000 is a name known to allcoachlover1000 is a name known to allcoachlover1000 is a name known to allcoachlover1000 is a name known to allcoachlover1000 is a name known to allcoachlover1000 is a name known to allcoachlover1000 is a name known to allcoachlover1000 is a name known to allcoachlover1000 is a name known to allcoachlover1000 is a name known to all
Default Re: New to VA, advice welcome

Hi willowstar, welcome to the USA. Don't stress about your visa/green card if you don't have it yet, it'll happen, it just takes time.
I've no advice, apart from if you're anything like me before long you'll be having your family in England send you sweets and other food that you can't get here. I miss the food so much!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

willowstar is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. I am already missing the tea!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

coachlover1000 is a name known to allcoachlover1000 is a name known to allcoachlover1000 is a name known to allcoachlover1000 is a name known to allcoachlover1000 is a name known to allcoachlover1000 is a name known to allcoachlover1000 is a name known to allcoachlover1000 is a name known to allcoachlover1000 is a name known to allcoachlover1000 is a name known to allcoachlover1000 is a name known to all

With the tea I'm lucky. Our commissary has a small British section, and it sells PG Tips, which just happens to be my brand!
Old Feb 26th 2010, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by willowstar
Just moved from the UK to VA (west of Washington), wondered if there are any Brits living here who can give advice on life in the area?
Hello Willostar, welcome to the USA, Virginia, and the DC Metro area. Have a gander at the DC City Guide Wiki. Best regards.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 1:34 am
Just Joined

uk-lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by willowstar
Thanks. I am already missing the tea!
Welcome to the USA! Most supermarkets across the US sell Twinnings tea, the Breakfast tea variety usually does the job. The world market store sells some of the UK brands, PG tips, Twinnings, Yorkshire tea, Typhoo, a bit hit and miss as to which teas each store will have. There will probably be a British store somewhere in your region, stocking plenty of tea and other goodies from back home.

Last edited by uk-lad; Feb 27th 2010 at 1:45 am.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 11:35 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

There is a grocery chain called Wegmans (I think the nearest to you may be at Dulles) but they have an international section with a few shelves dedicated to UK food. They also have a lot of other great food and is worth checking out.

Check the DC wiki as there is a great deal in there. Washington DC is quite an international city so you'll get your fill of folks in there. The Reston area is developing into quite an Indian-community (all the tech folks) so if you need some Indian food you will likely find some nearby.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk-lad
There will probably be a British store somewhere in your region, stocking plenty of tea and other goodies from back home.
Finding marmite may be a bit of a chore, though!

Ian
Old Feb 27th 2010, 2:05 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Finding marmite may be a bit of a chore, though!

Ian
Plenty at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...MITE&x=14&y=20
Old Feb 27th 2010, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
Ooooooooo yum! I love my marmite.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Foreign Redneck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by coachlover1000
Ooooooooo yum! I love my marmite.
You can find it in KROGER stores, in the foreign foods.

They don't have a lot of Brittish foods and the ones they have are expensive.

Best bet is get someone in UK to get them for you and mail them over, but watch out some foods are tabboo.

Last edited by Foreign Redneck; Apr 8th 2010 at 12:15 am.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

USUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, welcome to the USA and VA. I too live west of DC. Over the years we have found places to get most things we like. The British Pantry on John Mosby Highway has a lot of things including (proper) bacon, white and black pud. Most of the stores such as Giant, Wegmans, Whole Foods and Harris Titter have an international section. The English Tea store and Amazon have good stuff (we get Dorset cereal and Robinsons although they can also be found in the shops). I get Haggis from the Caledonian Kitchen online (which you can get through Amazon now) and they also have Irish Stew and general British stuff.

Would be happy to tell you more places if you have any specific wants etc.