Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A new user be gentle

Wikiposts

A new user be gentle

Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:58 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A new user be gentle

Originally Posted by Normee
However, I cannot just say no, based on a few posts on an internet forum can I..
not at all, hopefully you're able to ask a few more searching questions
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

Normee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Yeh, sounds like this "acceptance" isn't worth the paper it wasn't written on... my advice to the OP is to make very sure that this is a legitimate school that has actual experience of having under-age foreign citizens attend.
Its not a written acceptance, its a verbal "if you would like to come to the Academy you are welcome", yes of course its legitimate...dear me...
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Manc
not at all, hopefully you're able to ask a few more searching questions
I intend to Manc..
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Its not a written acceptance, its a verbal "if you would like to come to the Academy you are welcome", yes of course its legitimate...dear me...
I meant legitimate in the sense that it's a school that under-age foreigners can legitimately get a visa for to attend.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I meant legitimate in the sense that it's a school that under-age foreigners can legitimately get a visa for to attend.
Well I would have thought so...all I ever wanted was advice on all three of us being able to live in states...never ever looked into it before....
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just spent about 3 minutes googling. So I am sure that the OP knows about this but for everybody else:

http://www.imgacademies.com/_assets/...ate%20Card.pdf

About $50k for 5 months. So could not be done on the VWP.

No mention of any Student status, but I would not have thought a F1 would be suitable.

So my suggestion:

Child applies for B2 to attend, make sure you have all the documentation etc for the application.

Parents can go over to help him settle in and then maybe at the end, no need to move over there, a couple of short trips on the VWP should suffice.

I guess they would invite me as well, except I have no interest in paying that sort of money to learn a game I have no interest in.

They have European options as well:

http://www.leadbetter.com/worldwide_locations.html
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

There is a "Pendleton School" associated with the IMG David Leadbetter golf academy in Bradenton... that school is on the SEVIS list, which means a foreign student can get an F1 visa to attend. BUT, it appears to be a K-12 academic school. It's not clear to me yet that the golf academy is part of the SEVIS approved program.

Have you looked at the prices for this place yet? LINK Very $$$$

ETA: Boiler beat me by 3 minutes
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:45 am
Account Closed

I did!

I saw the schooling part as well, but it did not sound like he was interested in continuing formal education, just golf.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
I did!

I saw the schooling part as well, but it did not sound like he was interested in continuing formal education, just golf.
Now I am getting interested, yes, I think it is more than in his interest to continue his education...
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Boiler;8971758]I just spent about 3 minutes googling. So I am sure that the OP knows about this but for everybody else:

http://www.imgacademies.com/_assets/...ate%20Card.pdf

About $50k for 5 months. So could not be done on the VWP.

No mention of any Student status, but I would not have thought a F1 would be suitable.

So my suggestion:

Child applies for B2 to attend, make sure you have all the documentation etc for the application.

Parents can go over to help him settle in and then maybe at the end, no need to move over there, a couple of short trips on the VWP should suffice.

I guess they would invite me as well, except I have no interest in paying that sort of money to learn a game I have no interest in.

They have European options as well:

And this is the academy he attends for his coaching with the director mentioned..http://www.leadbetter.com/wynyard.html

Would still prefer to be over there full time with him..I cannot in my business come and go it has to ba all or nothing..
Old Nov 9th 2010, 8:00 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

This is a boarding school as well; he does not need a chaperon.

International Students International students will need to obtain a
Form I-20 to apply for an F-1 student visa. The form will be issued by the
academic school of choice only after an offer of admission is made and a
deposit is received by the school. Students must contact the Admissions
Office of the particular school to which they want to apply.

This, and other of their sales materials, indicate that international students are welcome (the I-20 is the doc you need for the student F-1 visa).

I'm afraid that this is what is at the crux of your interest in this specific program: "...all I ever wanted was advice on all three of us being able to live in states...never ever looked into it before...."

That is at odds with the program, and it is not possible for Father & Mother to move with their student as the reason.
As you have an existing business you've mentioned a couple of times, you may want to post in the Immigration forum about what's possible via that route, if what you want is for your family to move to the US.

edit, meant to add, this makes my hinky meter go off: IMG Academies Affiliate Program
Old Nov 9th 2010, 8:03 am
Account Closed

It is a 5 month course so not really permanent.

If you want to tie it in with education he is at a difficult age, might be better looking for something combined with a College course (UK Uni) Not something you would do at 16. In the US he would be in the last year of high school. A difficult transition.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

This is great, thankyou people....
Old Nov 9th 2010, 8:16 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

This is great, thankyou people....
I've got a young friend who has recently gone pro on the US golf circuit. He did not go to an Academy, he played his azz off every day and got a caddy job at his local golf course (it doesn't hurt that he's living in N Carolina/golf heaven) and got himself promoted to junior pro or somesuch title.
His father supported him financially, as far as he could. He recently secured the sponsorship of a wealthy member of the club, who is helping him cover the tournament costs (they are staggering) and cover his cost of living (I think the grant was something like $50K/year). The young friend has had to gamble everything on this (quit his job, has had no other higher education).

Whatever happens to him, he's pretty much committed to a career in the industry, either as a winner on the circuit or as a resort pro. He has been playing daily since at least age 10.
You have a lot of famous golf on your side of the Atlantic, so I think it's important for you to separate out what your real goals with this are.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 8:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by meauxna
I've got a young friend...
Perhaps this needs to be moved to Off Topic?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.