Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A new user be gentle

Wikiposts

A new user be gentle

Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A new user be gentle

Originally Posted by Manc
so can I cash in my 401k and try be Tiger Woods or no?

Do you have the stamina to keep "up" with Tiger Woods????
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:49 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Do you have the stamina to keep "up" with Tiger Woods????
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Normee
Hi all, I know that this paticular subject may have been done to death, but just after a little information.

My son has been accepted into a Golf Academy in Bradenton Florida.

The potential problem we have, is he leaves school at the age of fifteen and we really do not want him over there on his own, at this young age?
What exactly is this golf academy? Is it an institution for which a foreigner can get a student visa? You need to read up on student visas here. If it isn't a SEVIS registered school, I don't think he'll be able to get a student visa to attend. Even if he does get a student visa, there's no visa for parents to accompany their children. Does your son HAVE to go now? Can he put the golf academy off a few years?
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Normee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
The reason people can be abrupt is that they've been here a long time, and get a lot of the same questions asked over and over, as you might expect.

Rather than BS someone, or give them false hope, BE users tend to give it to you straight. Unfortunately, and often, the answers are not what people want to hear. And so they get hostile, and the regulars get defensive.

Just take the rough with the smooth. If you stick around, you'll usually get some pearls of wisdom that people have gained through experience.
Yes hence my first line, done to death, I guess I am just after some quick answers, perhaps not many people have the answers...
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bill_S
What exactly is this golf academy? Is it an institution for which a foreigner can get a student visa? You need to read up on student visas here. If it isn't a SEVIS registered school, I don't think he'll be able to get a student visa to attend. Even if he does get a student visa, there's no visa for parents to accompany their children. Does your son HAVE to go now? Can he put the golf academy off a few years?
It is a Leadbetter Academy...Yeah I guess he could be put off for a few years, this is yet more questions that need to be answered, I know we will be having meetings with the right people....If there are no visas for parents, how long can we stay in the States before having to leave?

I ask this in case in the years ahead we can go, get him settled the sciddadle off back to blighty...?
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:23 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Yes hence my first line, done to death, I guess I am just after some quick answers, perhaps not many people have the answers...
There aren't any clear answers to your issue unless you have half a million bucks lying about.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:24 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

It is a Leadbetter Academy...Yeah I guess he could be put off for a few years, this is yet more questions that need to be answered, I know we will be having meetings with the right people....If there are no visas for parents, how long can we stay in the States before having to leave?

I ask this in case in the years ahead we can go, get him settled the sciddadle off back to blighty...?
Issue is that as a minor he won't be able to sign any contracts. That's why you need to consider some sort of guardianship.

You've got 90 days on a VWP entry. Spend at least as much time out as you do in.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Issue is that as a minor he won't be able to sign any contracts. That's why you need to consider some sort of guardianship.

You've got 90 days on a VWP entry. Spend at least as much time out as you do in.
Sorry, what does that mean.....

I need a beer after the mayhem of today...
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:36 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, what does that mean.....

I need a beer after the mayhem of today...
pretty much the most time you can spend in the USA is 89 days at any one time.

then return back to the UK for 3 months.

he said spend as much time outside of the USA, as you do inside it.
don't make it look like you are using a tourist visa (or visa waiver) in order to live there.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Manc
pretty much the most time you can spend in the USA is 89 days at any one time.

then return back to the UK for 3 months.

he said spend as much time outside of the USA, as you do inside it.
don't make it look like you are using a tourist visa (or visa waiver) in order to live there.
ah ok, my god we have some work and reading to do....lets hope its worth it...
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Imo, a reputable "academy" making a reputable offer would have already supplied the relevant financial/visa information as part of an offer package. I really wonder whether this place has a clue as to what's involved here.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Imo, a reputable "academy" making a reputable offer would have already supplied the relevant financial/visa information as part of an offer package. I really wonder whether this place has a clue as to what's involved here.
I have not said a reputable offer, merely an invite...from his UK coach, which was received from the States....
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:51 am
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

I have not said a reputable offer, merely an invite...from his UK coach, which was received from the States....
Sounds like they don't really realize the complexities of actually having him attend. While it was nice of them to invite him, it doesn't sound overly feasible.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TracyTN
Sounds like they don't really realize the complexities of actually having him attend. While it was nice of them to invite him, it doesn't sound overly feasible.
Probably not, I have already got serious negative vibes about how we are going to do this...probably, after talking with them, and if there is any positive outcomes then we move on, but right now I have serious reservations...shame really...

However, I cannot just say no, based on a few posts on an internet forum can I..
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TracyTN
Yeh, sounds like this "acceptance" isn't worth the paper it wasn't written on... my advice to the OP is to make very sure that this is a legitimate school that has actual experience of having under-age foreign citizens attend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.