Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New UK life insurance while in US

New UK life insurance while in US

Old Apr 5th 2016, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New UK life insurance while in US

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That might not be true, and certainly isn't for some financial services, because the law that applies to the contract is the law where the customer is located. I do not know if this is the case for insurance products, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is. .... This is why British/non-US stockbrokers won't touch US residents - they have to comply with US/SEC laws and regulations.
I am not an underwriter, but I have worked in the industry for many years and have managed to acquire a little bit of knowledge. I cannot think of any other insurance product that needs to be taken out whilst the policyholder is physically in the country due to contract law. Although indeed there can be a very fine line between some life insurance products and saving products so that could be it. I am sure it would would not be an underwriting rule though.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
I concur. Where you are situated can have a lot of bearing on a contract.
That is also confirmed in one of the links I give above:

The second requirement when applying for a U.S. life insurance policy for foreign nationals or non U.S. residents is the life insurance application, medical exam and delivery of the policy all must be completed while you are in the U.S.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 6:20 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I am not an underwriter, but I have worked in the industry for many years and have managed to acquire a little bit of knowledge. I cannot think of any other insurance product that needs to be taken out whilst the policyholder is physically in the country due to contract law. .....
It might not so much where you are required to be but rather where you are required to not be.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 5th 2016 at 6:52 am.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It might not so much where you are required to be but rather where you are required to not be.

How much business is Lloyd's allowed to do in the US?
Well funnily enough but my OH is also in insurance and he works for a Lloyds syndicate. He has just walked through the door and has confirmed that they write heaps of insurance in the US. In fact he has just said their syndicate exposure is about US$9 billion.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 6:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Scrub that. .... I was thinking of the US prohibition on USCs becoming Lloyds "names". A USC had (has?) to visit London to sign up as a "name", they could not do so while in the US.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 5th 2016 at 6:51 am.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
I checked with our life insurer when we left the UK, and they wrote back saying no problem at all, just to let them have a US address for correspondence. I think that's Aviva (ex Norwich Union, who may be called something different by now!)
Ditto with Aviva term life insurance here. They are happy to cover us in both Switzerland and the US, and they have my US address.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 5:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kodokan
Ditto with Aviva term life insurance here. They are happy to cover us in both Switzerland and the US, and they have my US address.
It does seem the OP is only interested in term.

The rating structures use actuarial calculations that differ from country to country.

So where you are resident makes a difference.