Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping UK to USA - Customs declarations DIY

Shipping UK to USA - Customs declarations DIY

Old Apr 6th 2016, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping UK to USA - Customs declarations DIY

I didn't want to hijack the similar thread running at the moment but I asked last year about a shipping rate here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...d-rate-871063/

Otto, you commented asking if that included customs charges and warehouse charges at the other end. I asked the shipper I was in contact the question as I believe my shipment will be under the $2500 value to process it myself and got this reply:

In regards to US Customs, we have to include this charge on our quotation as we have to lodge the shipment with US customs before it leaves the UK.
Is this correct? Also as the UK warehouse is near (45 mins) my home address, is it worth me delivering the items to them directly? They have informed me that their quote would currently include collection from my address.

Thanks again.

ETA: I would be collecting the pallet shipment from Seattle, so no delivery charges from the port to a mainland address will be needed either.

Last edited by Harveyspecter; Apr 6th 2016 at 7:39 am.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping UK to USA - Customs declarations DIY

I think they are referring to the ISF filing ( Importer Security Filing ) which must be submitted to Homeland Security at least 24 hours before being loaded onto the vessel.
As far as I know there is no requirement to include any fees for clearance upon arrival in the USA in the ISF. It is basically to give HS a heads up on what is coming in.
A very large shipping Company Wallenius Willhelmson do not offer customs clearance only shipping. That was as of last week when I had a car loaded in Bremerhaven.
By all means take the shipment to the warehouse it will save you money.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Otto,

Thanks for that. I have received an official quote from the company today for 3 cubic metres being shipped by sea. They have stated that there will be an £80 reduction if I take the items to their warehouse, approx 45 mins away. Whether I do that or not is dependent on if I can borrow a friends van.

Regarding the customs charges, this is the breakdown I have had:

1 UK Export Documentation and UK Customs Electronic Filing Fees
£39.00 £39.00
1 USA Customs Clearance and advance Homeland Security Filing Fees
£120.00 £120.00

Does that sound reasonable? It also makes no mention of any warehouse charges at the other end. I did ask them and they said the above quote was what I'd pay. Apart from import duty is there anything else I need to prepare for?
Old Apr 6th 2016, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

The ISF filing costs $175 payable to a broker in the USA.

As I mentioned in the other post ask for the name of the USA agent and contact them.
The fees will be container stripping as it is a part load, warehousing and customs clearance.