Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New to this! Move to San Francisco, advice wanted please.

New to this! Move to San Francisco, advice wanted please.

Old Nov 23rd 2017, 7:42 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 8
Sarg75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to this! Move to San Francisco, advice wanted please.

Hi everyone. My husband has been offered a job in San Francisco and we hope to move next summer. We are currently in the process of searching for the best affordable area to rent in that has a good school for my 15 year old. My husband would need to travel to Mountain View area a couple of times a week.
If anyone can recommend an area to start looking I would be grateful. Not sure where to start!
Thank you x
Sarg75 is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 8:53 pm
  #2  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 23,879
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: New to this! Move to San Francisco, advice wanted please.

Originally Posted by Sarg75 View Post
Hi everyone. My husband has been offered a job in San Francisco and we hope to move next summer. We are currently in the process of searching for the best affordable area to rent in that has a good school for my 15 year old. My husband would need to travel to Mountain View area a couple of times a week.
If anyone can recommend an area to start looking I would be grateful. Not sure where to start!
Thank you x
One of the first things to get sorted is what visa the company is getting for your husband. Everything else is moot until he finds that out.
mikelincs is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 9:13 pm
  #3  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 29,810
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: New to this! Move to San Francisco, advice wanted please.

Hi, and welcome to BE.

'Affordable' and 'San Francisco' aren't usually in the same sentence. But we have a lot of forum members on that area, if you can give people an idea of your budget and what sort of property/amenities you'd want for it, I'm sure they'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Best of luck.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 9:15 pm
  #4  
Lt Cl (Rtd)
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 49,045
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: New to this! Move to San Francisco, advice wanted please.

Originally Posted by Sarg75 View Post
Hi everyone. My husband has been offered a job in San Francisco and we hope to move next summer. .....
As Mike said, "offered a job" can mean several different things - and we see a number of people every year who come here to BE to ask about moving because they have been "offered a job" in the US, only to discover that there is no way for them to get a visa that would allow them to take up the job offer.

For starters, has he been offered a job transfer by his current employer? If so there is a very good chance he will be able to get a visa, and you will be able to to get a visa that will enable you to work, from about three months after you arrive, after you have applied for and received an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

If he has been offered a job unrelated to his current position/employer, is he in academia or research? If so it is likely he will be able to get a visa, but you will be unable to work.

If he has been offered a job in some sort of scientific, technical, or engineering role (or a some other technical occupations), then he won't be able to apply for a visa until next April, and there will likely only be about a one in four chance of him being able to get a visa, and won't be able start work until October 2018; if he is lucky enough to get a visa, your derivative visa will not enable you to work.

So please tell us more and we will be happy to advise.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 23rd 2017 at 9:55 pm.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 10:49 pm
  #5  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2016
Location: Cascade Mountains, WA
Posts: 1,089
Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: New to this! Move to San Francisco, advice wanted please.

Affordable all depends on what they are paying him.
Twinkle0927 is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 11:25 pm
  #6  
Lt Cl (Rtd)
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 49,045
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: New to this! Move to San Francisco, advice wanted please.

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927 View Post
Affordable all depends on what they are paying him.
And what he and his wife want to buy.

To buy a home like we have, and buy the same things that we do, if we lived in SF I would need a seven figure salary. In other words, it is extremely unlikely that anyone would ever pay me enough to persuade me to relocate to SF.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2017, 6:25 am
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 8
Sarg75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: New to this! Move to San Francisco, advice wanted please.

Thanks for your replies. To clarify, my husband's job is a transfer with his current employer for a minimum term of 3 years. We want to rent a 3 bed property, preferably a house rather than an apartment as my son plays the drums! To be close to a good high school is a main priority.
We think our budget will be 3500 to 4000 usd per month but we could possibly increase this for a good school. We are interested in an area within an hours drive of Mountain View.
Sarg75 is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2017, 10:47 am
  #8  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Boiler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 33,360
Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: New to this! Move to San Francisco, advice wanted please.

Sounds like a L1.
Boiler is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2017, 10:59 am
  #9  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 29,810
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: New to this! Move to San Francisco, advice wanted please.

Originally Posted by Sarg75 View Post
Thanks for your replies. To clarify, my husband's job is a transfer with his current employer for a minimum term of 3 years. We want to rent a 3 bed property, preferably a house rather than an apartment as my son plays the drums! To be close to a good high school is a main priority.
We think our budget will be 3500 to 4000 usd per month but we could possibly increase this for a good school. We are interested in an area within an hours drive of Mountain View.
Thanks for the further info - I'm going to edit your thread title so that those in the SF area will be more likely to look at the thread and see your questions, hopefully they'll be able to suggest some suitable areas that may suit.

Best of luck.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2017, 4:14 pm
  #10  
 
N1cky's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Google Town
Posts: 7,530
N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to this!

Originally Posted by Sarg75 View Post
Thanks for your replies. To clarify, my husband's job is a transfer with his current employer for a minimum term of 3 years. We want to rent a 3 bed property, preferably a house rather than an apartment as my son plays the drums! To be close to a good high school is a main priority.
We think our budget will be 3500 to 4000 usd per month but we could possibly increase this for a good school. We are interested in an area within an hours drive of Mountain View.
You’ll struggle to get a house for that amount of money, and certainly nothing for double that where your house will be far enough away from the neighbors for your son to play the drums.

My daughter is currently 15, no way would I be wanting to do that transition with her at that age. The school system is very different, there are lots of threads on what to do and the changes to be prepared for. MV high has a good reputation, most of my daughters friends go there, and she would have gone there too if we hadn’t insisted on a different school for her. Personally I’m thrilled she’s not there and I certainly wouldn’t put her there now. No chance you’ll get in Palo Alto at that rent price, so forget that school district, Sunnyvale may be an option for you, but you’ll still struggle on the house prices.
N1cky is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2017, 4:15 pm
  #11  
BE Commentator
 
S Folinsky's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 7,368
S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to this!

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Thanks for the further info - I'm going to edit your thread title so that those in the SF area will be more likely to look at the thread and see your questions, hopefully they'll be able to suggest some suitable areas that may suit.

Best of luck.
As a long ago resident of the City, I would suggest a title relating to "SF Bay Area."

(It was so long ago I bought my first house in the City for under $50K. The younger generation doesn't believe me. )
S Folinsky is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2017, 4:26 pm
  #12  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 8
Sarg75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New to this!

Originally Posted by N1cky View Post
You’ll struggle to get a house for that amount of money, and certainly nothing for double that where your house will be far enough away from the neighbors for your son to play the drums.

My daughter is currently 15, no way would I be wanting to do that transition with her at that age. The school system is very different, there are lots of threads on what to do and the changes to be prepared for. MV high has a good reputation, most of my daughters friends go there, and she would have gone there too if we hadn’t insisted on a different school for her. Personally I’m thrilled she’s not there and I certainly wouldn’t put her there now. No chance you’ll get in Palo Alto at that rent price, so forget that school district, Sunnyvale may be an option for you, but you’ll still struggle on the house prices.
Whilst I respect your opinion, we have decided to do this move. I'm asking for area recommendations. According to Zillow rent, there are
3 bed houses in Sunnyvale and Mountain View for around $4000 a month but we know nothing about these areas or the schools. We have spent a long time researching the school system and as I am a teacher, we certainly haven't gone into this blind. We are realistic and would not expect to be able to live somewhere with no neighbours in order for my son to drum. We have a sound-proofed room here in the UK and would do the same in the USA. We expect this would be harder to do in an apartment.
I'm not interested in a reply saying 'no way would I do that' as it isn't helpful. If you could tell me why you didn't want your daughter going to MV high school, that would be far more constructive.
Thank you anyway.

Last edited by Sarg75; Nov 24th 2017 at 4:30 pm.
Sarg75 is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2017, 4:33 pm
  #13  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 8
Sarg75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New to this!

Originally Posted by S Folinsky View Post
As a long ago resident of the City, I would suggest a title relating to "SF Bay Area."

(It was so long ago I bought my first house in the City for under $50K. The younger generation doesn't believe me. )
Thank you. Our only option is to rent unless we sell our house in the UK. We may decide to do this at a later date but will rent at first.
Sarg75 is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2017, 4:55 pm
  #14  
BE Commentator
 
S Folinsky's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 7,368
S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to this!

Originally Posted by Sarg75 View Post
Thank you. Our only option is to rent unless we sell our house in the UK. We may decide to do this at a later date but will rent at first.
I didn't mean to suggest purchase. I just meant to note that it's been 40 years since I moved back to L.A.

If your home in the UK has appreciated in value, it's sale after coming to the US may have US income tax consequences. This is outside my old legal baliwick, but immigration lawyers would often advise clients to look into this before coming to the US.
S Folinsky is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2017, 4:57 pm
  #15  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 8
Sarg75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New to this!

Originally Posted by S Folinsky View Post
I didn't mean to suggest purchase. I just meant to note that it's been 40 years since I moved back to L.A.

If your home in the UK has appreciated in value, it's sale after coming to the US may have US income tax consequences. This is outside my old legal baliwick, but immigration lawyers would often advise clients to look into this before coming to the US.
Ah ok. Thank you. We will check if we decide to sell.
Sarg75 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.