Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New law means expatriates will have to pay for NHS care back in Britain

Wikiposts

New law means expatriates will have to pay for NHS care back in Britain

Old Sep 30th 2011, 10:26 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New law means expatriates will have to pay for NHS care back in Britain

Originally Posted by dunroving
NHS card doesn't prove eligibility any more than an NI card though either - plenty of expats still hold an NHS card.

My point was simply correcting a point of fact regarding the source of funding for the NHS. These threads on the NHS always end up with incorrect statements about who is eligible, who pays for it, etc.

My understanding from the multiple times these threads have come up before, and reading the UK government Web sites is:

Emergency NHS treatment is free at point of service to anyone who is in the UK, whether they are a permanent resident or a visitor

Routine NHS treatment is free at point of service to UK residents (not just citizens) only, regardless of how long they have been resident, whether they are employed, or whether they pay taxes.

If you give up UK residency, you lose eligibility for routine NHS care (even if you are a UK citizen, or pay UK taxes).

NHS is funded by taxes and NI.
This may well be so, but I am aware of a number of Expats that still have homes in the UK, and they have been able to stay / register with NHS doctors and receive treatment on production of utility bills and quoting their NI number. Now these people are resident outside the UK and receive reciprocal health care as pensioners in Spain. They are therefore registered properly in both countries and receive health care in both countries.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 11:14 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New law means expatriates will have to pay for NHS care back in Britain

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
This may well be so, but I am aware of a number of Expats that still have homes in the UK, and they have been able to stay / register with NHS doctors and receive treatment on production of utility bills and quoting their NI number. Now these people are resident outside the UK and receive reciprocal health care as pensioners in Spain. They are therefore registered properly in both countries and receive health care in both countries.
If they have a European Health Card, yes, they will be be able to present this in order to receive reciprocal health care when visiting the UK as a nonresident of the UK, but resident in an EU country. However, they shouldn't be registered with a doctor in the UK if they aren't resident in the UK. And anyone not resident in Europe shouldn't be eligible for routine NHS treatment.

Further information at www.dh.gov.uk/travellers
Old Sep 30th 2011, 11:19 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

If they have a European Health Card, yes, they will be be able to present this in order to receive reciprocal health care when visiting the UK as a nonresident of the UK, but resident in an EU country. However, they shouldn't be registered with a doctor in the UK if they aren't resident in the UK. And anyone not resident in Europe shouldn't be eligible for routine NHS treatment.

Further information at www.dh.gov.uk/travellers
I know the rules DR, I'm just telling you the reality

As a UK non resident (but citizen) if you have utility bills and an NI number as well as a UK address, then you can register with a doctor, and receive normal standard NHS care

As usual in the EU, the law and what really happens do not tie up
Old Sep 30th 2011, 11:26 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I know the rules DR, I'm just telling you the reality

As a UK non resident (but citizen) if you have utility bills and an NI number as well as a UK address, then you can register with a doctor, and receive normal standard NHS care

As usual in the EU, the law and what really happens do not tie up
I wasn't really correcting you on the rules (you didn't say anything about the EHIC card).

I was mainly adding a correction to my own earlier statement. I had forgotten about the EHIC card and the reciprocal agreement between EEA countries and Switzerland, that with the EHIC, you should be able to get the same treatment as a resident of the country you're visiting. There's enough inaccurate (or incomplete) information on this topic already and I didn't want to add to it.

And you don't even need a utility bill - as per previous posts, some NHS doctors seem perfectly happy to treat patients who they know live outside of the UK or Europe.

[Edited to ad: Which is quite amazing when you consider that if you live in the UK and move to a different address, your current doctor often will no longer treat you - they'll tell you to register with the doctor in your area]

Last edited by dunroving; Sep 30th 2011 at 11:30 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Middlemore
As a nurse who until recently worked in a London A&E, I see two main problems here.
Firstly, immigrants openly abuse the NHS system, it is common for people to arrive at Heathrow and head straight to the nearest hospital. Not for genuine emergency care, but they usually say something general like 'abdominal pain', which means they get a whole battery of tests.
Something abnormal shows up, maybe a longstanding condition, but they deny all knowledge of it. They end up getting admitted to hospital, (free), via the emergency route, and the really crafty ones then refuse to leave, so that Social Services get involved to find them somewhere to live.

I saw situations like this up to half a dozen times a day.
Some would brazenly tell me that they came to the UK because "your government give me free money, free house and free hospital".

And yet, ex-pats, who HAVE paid into the system all their working life, are denied free care.
Even as an NHS employee with 25 years service, I do not qualify for free healthcare.

Something is very wrong here.
The solution is simple: make only those who (choose to) contribute qualify for NHS care. Everybody else can buy medical insurance, buy medical care when needed, or use charity.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 11:41 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Marocco
The solution is simple: make only those who (choose to) contribute qualify for NHS care. Everybody else can buy medical insurance, buy medical care when needed, or use charity.
Contribute to what? The costs of the NHS? So the unemployed and those on benefits would be ineligible?
Old Sep 30th 2011, 11:45 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Contribute to what? The costs of the NHS? So the unemployed and those on benefits would be ineligible?
He said it was simple. Now you're just going and complicating it....
Old Sep 30th 2011, 11:45 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Issues like this are one reason why I was in favour of the national ID card and the linked databases that would have been part of the scheme. It would make determining eligibility for services somewhat easier. There should be a system whereby every UK resident is registered, the information is frequently reviewed and updated, as well as being readily accessible to agencies which need it such as UKBA, the NHS, Social Security, DVLA or whoever.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 11:57 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
There should be a system whereby every UK resident is registered, the information is frequently reviewed and updated, as well as being readily accessible to agencies which need it such as UKBA, the NHS, Social Security, DVLA or whoever.
But what good would that do?

I can tell you now that I could go to the UK tomorrow and act administratively exactly as if I was a resident there ....... whilst also being a resident here. How can they tell the difference?

When I left the UK I didn't change my medical status ... I wouldn't mind betting now that my records are with the doctor in the village I used to live in. I still have a TV licence, bank accounts, credit cards .......
Old Oct 1st 2011, 12:06 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

But what good would that do?

I can tell you now that I could go to the UK tomorrow and act administratively exactly as if I was a resident there ....... whilst also being a resident here. How can they tell the difference?

When I left the UK I didn't change my medical status ... I wouldn't mind betting now that my records are with the doctor in the village I used to live in. I still have a TV licence, bank accounts, credit cards .......
The ID card could be used to track you entering and leaving the country. Depending on how much time you spent in or out of the UK, you may have a hard time proving you were "resident", regardless of the fact that you maintain a house or address here.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, and yes.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 12:17 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Marocco
Yes, and yes.
Hey, let's kick them out of council houses and stop paying them social benefits while we're at it.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

If someone travels to the UK and buys any item that has a tax attached to it, does a portion of that pay towards the NHS? under those rules anyone visiting and paying for anything is contributing to the NHS........YAY free treatment for all!!
Old Oct 1st 2011, 12:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ja5on
If someone travels to the UK and buys any item that has a tax attached to it, does a portion of that pay towards the NHS? under those rules anyone visiting and paying for anything is contributing to the NHS........YAY free treatment for all!!
Non-EU tourists can claim back VAT at the point of departure from the UK.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Non-EU tourists can claim back VAT at the point of departure from the UK.
So I can claim back vat from my rental car? Also is it just things that I take back to the US with me? how do I go about this wonderful process?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.