Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New law means expatriates will have to pay for NHS care back in Britain

Wikiposts

New law means expatriates will have to pay for NHS care back in Britain

Old Sep 30th 2011, 2:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New law means expatriates will have to pay for NHS care back in Britain

Originally Posted by nun
That's a bad idea...I don't agree with prescription chargers as well. Free at the point of service is crucial so that there is no barrier for people to see a doctor. For the poor a small charge, even if it is reimbursed, can be a discouragement. Access to healthcare is vital for public health. I believe it's why the UK is healthier than the US.
I think it's one of many reasons. But that comparative study also concluded that Americans in the wealthiest third (?) had poorer health than Britains in the poorest third. That's unlikely to be explained by access to healthcare; wealthier Americans are the ones that typically do have health insurance.

I don't see what's wrong with a targeted charge for doctor's visits. Prescription charges exclude whole ranges of people and doctor's charges could too. There's no reason why a lot of the population couldn't pay a charge and it wouldn't act as a disincentive to access. Otoh, I think the NHS studied this at one point and concluded that it would be a logistical nightmare that was more trouble than it's worth. I guess the difference with prescriptions is that pharmacies are already set up to deal with financial transactions; doctor's offices are not.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 4:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New law means expatriates will have to pay for NHS care back in Britain

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
Interestingly, the local GP where I lived in Scotland, would not see me based on my spouse visa (residency) but would only register me (or see me) when I got my NI card.

So obviously NHS within themselves doesn't really know what they are to do in the first place.

And even though we've not lived there in over a year, I'm sure if I went back to them, they'd see me without a question? I never planned to go back to them as we are expats now and covered here in the USA, and we honestly thought not paying into NI meant no NHS services. We were wrong! So go figure! Obviously the average person doesn't really know the rules, but those who want to take advantage DO know the rules and know that the NHS folks are powerless or unsure of the rules. I'm glad they are tightening these rules and enforcing.
NI contributions have nothing to do with the NHS. The NHS is funded by UK taxpayers. National Insurance funds pension, social security, child benefits and other social services...it does not fund the NHS.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ja5on
Yeah, as are college fees.....Maybe the Scotts should start paying their way!
Ha, that is why we charge anyone who is not Scottish.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Middlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Perthbum
You say you could not get a job as a nurse in the UK even though they are bringing in temporary nurses from abroad.
Its been like that for a long time, the department I worked in was staffed 90% Filipino.

AND the universities are still traing nurses, even though most will not find jobs. Of the dozen or so students I had in my last year, only one has since found a job.

AND the last 5 years or so there have been a LOT of closures, if I give just one example, the 'elderly care/respite beds' in one London borough alone were cut from 220 in 2005 to just 10 in 2011.
That's a lot of nurses looking for jobs.

AND now of course, cutbacks in the MOD mean there are now ex-military nurses also chasing jobs.

If you care to look at the NHS jobs website, its pretty dismal.

I recently looked on Friends Reunited for the nurses I trained with, and found that 19 out of 22 have emigrated.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 9:13 am
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Middlemore
Its been like that for a long time, the department I worked in was staffed 90% Filipino.

AND the universities are still traing nurses, even though most will not find jobs. Of the dozen or so students I had in my last year, only one has since found a job.

AND the last 5 years or so there have been a LOT of closures, if I give just one example, the 'elderly care/respite beds' in one London borough alone were cut from 220 in 2005 to just 10 in 2011.
That's a lot of nurses looking for jobs.

AND now of course, cutbacks in the MOD mean there are now ex-military nurses also chasing jobs.

If you care to look at the NHS jobs website, its pretty dismal.

I recently looked on Friends Reunited for the nurses I trained with, and found that 19 out of 22 have emigrated.
Really..that's amazing
Old Sep 30th 2011, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Middlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the rough

Really..that's amazing
Sorry, what is your point?
If there are no jobs in the UK, folk go elsewhere.
Is that a problem?
Old Sep 30th 2011, 9:19 am
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Middlemore
Sorry, what is your point?
If there are no jobs in the UK, folk go elsewhere.
Is that a problem?
Just found that 19 out of 22 you trained with have emigrated very hard to believe.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 9:25 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
NI contributions have nothing to do with the NHS. The NHS is funded by UK taxpayers. National Insurance funds pension, social security, child benefits and other social services...it does not fund the NHS.
Actually, I think a small portion of the NHS costs is funded from NI payments, but you are correct that it is primarily funded by taxes.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 11:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
I wonder how they could possibly police it effectively. There is really no way of telling where someone is or isn't living, or if you have or haven't recently returned to the UK. Are they going to challenge every patient to demonstrate their eligibility? Trying to staff that would be an enormous challenge!
No different to what Canadian provinces do - you have to have a healthcare card which is only issued to residents of the province. It might be possible for a Canadian citizen to "trick" a province into issuing or renewing a health card but then it's hard to convince the Canadian tax authorities that one is non-resident.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Actually, I think a small portion of the NHS costs is funded from NI payments, but you are correct that it is primarily funded by taxes.
Showing your NI card wouldn't prove you had made any contributions anyway. The poster who said this may have got confused with the NHS card.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 11:17 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Just found that 19 out of 22 you trained with have emigrated very hard to believe.
How fitting that a thread that started with a scurrilous article in the vile DM should question the viability of the right to health care and promote animosities within the Union.

I got Middlemore's claim that the NHS is overrun with freebie foreigners and that it's staffed by foreigners. The answer is given in one of her earlier posts -- she worked in a central London A&E. So it's actually quite understandable, even if it is wholly misleading. But like you, I'm stumped on 19/22
Old Sep 30th 2011, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Why is everyone talking about 1922? I thought the NHS started in 1948........
Old Sep 30th 2011, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ja5on
On a side note I have been saying for a while now that the NHS should charge a standard fee for seeing a Dr, even if it's only 10 pounds. It would free up a lot of offices! They charge for prescriptions now a days and no one seems too upset about that.
Then they all turn up at A&E because they wouldn't have to pay which would make emergency care for those who need it pretty crappy. Overall it would probably cost the NHS more to charge a tenner for a GP appointment than it would keeping them at no charge. You would end up it a situation similar to the US where you'd have a significant charge for A&E that may get wiped out depending on if you got admitted but also stops a lot of people who should go there from going and a low charge for a doctors appointment.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 4:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Then they all turn up at A&E because they wouldn't have to pay which would make emergency care for those who need it pretty crappy. Overall it would probably cost the NHS more to charge a tenner for a GP appointment than it would keeping them at no charge. You would end up it a situation similar to the US where you'd have a significant charge for A&E that may get wiped out depending on if you got admitted but also stops a lot of people who should go there from going and a low charge for a doctors appointment.
That already happens in the UK.

The difference is that in the US it has to be life threatening to get any treatment.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 8:56 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Showing your NI card wouldn't prove you had made any contributions anyway. The poster who said this may have got confused with the NHS card.
NHS card doesn't prove eligibility any more than an NI card though either - plenty of expats still hold an NHS card.

My point was simply correcting a point of fact regarding the source of funding for the NHS. These threads on the NHS always end up with incorrect statements about who is eligible, who pays for it, etc.

My understanding from the multiple times these threads have come up before, and reading the UK government Web sites is:

Emergency NHS treatment is free at point of service to anyone who is in the UK, whether they are a permanent resident or a visitor

Routine NHS treatment is free at point of service to UK residents (not just citizens) only, regardless of how long they have been resident, whether they are employed, or whether they pay taxes.

If you give up UK residency, you lose eligibility for routine NHS care (even if you are a UK citizen, or pay UK taxes).

NHS is funded by taxes and NI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.