Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New law means expatriates will have to pay for NHS care back in Britain

Wikiposts

New law means expatriates will have to pay for NHS care back in Britain

Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New law means expatriates will have to pay for NHS care back in Britain

Originally Posted by rpjs
BTW, before anyone has a Daily Mail-induced aneuryism at the bloody foreigners and/or expats bleeding the NHS dry, a quick google suggests at the very worse, "health tourism" costs the NHS £200m p.a., and is probably more likely to be around the £50-£60m mark. It may even be as low as only £7m p.a. (that last figure apparently is the government's most recent annual write-off of money owed by non-residents for treatment as unrecoverable - for instance bills run up by EU visitors get reimbursed by their governments).

When you consider that the NHS's current annual budget is around £100billion it puts it in a bit of perspective.
What about de free money and free house mon?
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:43 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New law means expatriates will have to pay for NHS care back in Britain

BTW, before anyone has a Daily Mail-induced aneuryism at the bloody foreigners and/or expats bleeding the NHS dry, a quick google suggests at the very worse, "health tourism" costs the NHS £200m p.a., and is probably more likely to be around the £50-£60m mark. It may even be as low as only £7m p.a. (that last figure apparently is the government's most recent annual write-off of money owed by non-residents for treatment as unrecoverable - for instance bills run up by EU visitors get reimbursed by their governments).

When you consider that the NHS's current annual budget is around £100billion it puts it in a bit of perspective.
Good point, it's a very limited problem. The biggest issue that this thread exposes is the lack of understanding about who has free access to the NHS. If you live in the UK you get free care. It doesn't matter about your accent, colour, religion or wealth. If immigration lets you in to live then you get the NHS.

I've been paying Medicare taxes and private health insurance premiums in the US for 25 years. But if I retire early, say at 55, my insurance premiums will go from $100/month to $500/month and Medicare won't start until I'm 65. So my plan is to return to the UK where I can get care free on the NHS. I don't mind that I'll have paid a lot in Medicare taxes and won't be using the system as it's part of the "social contract".
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:46 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, before anyone has a Daily Mail-induced aneuryism at the bloody foreigners and/or expats bleeding the NHS dry,....
If I was UK resident I could get treated for that for free on the NHS. But I live in the US so my US insurance will have to pay for it, even if I'm visiting the UK.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

When you consider that the NHS's current annual budget is around £100billion it puts it in a bit of perspective: even the £200m figure comes out to a fifth of one percent of the total, and the £7m figure is probably less than what the NHS loses down the back of its collective sofa each year
I'd like to see their methodology for coming up with that number. For example, how are they estimating the cost of treatment for expats who return to Britain for the purpose of using the NHS? We've seen from this message board that many people have "flown under the radar" and got treatment that in reality they should have paid for. I doubt this is a huge financial drain, but it must be difficult to come up with an accurate assessment of the likely cost.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I'd like to see their methodology for coming up with that number.
http://tinyurl.com/6dr6y7b
Old Sep 29th 2011, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

And the most pertinent part of the report would appear to be this:

"The figure is “bound to be an underestimate” since new rules intended to prevent the abuse of the NHS by foreign patients are being ignored, according to the report. "

Again, I wonder about the methodology used to come up with the estimate given that the report itself concludes it's an underestimate.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=nun;9648354]As pointed out many times before free NHS care is based solely on residency in the UK, not on anything you've paid. QUOTE]

NHS care is not free. It's currently free at point of use, but it is NOT free.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Eligibility is not based on what you've paid in, though.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 1:52 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Ozzidoc;9649199]
Originally Posted by nun
As pointed out many times before free NHS care is based solely on residency in the UK, not on anything you've paid. QUOTE]

Yes Yes "free at the point of use" sorry for being lazy. The point is that it does not depend on what you pay as an individual in tax of NI etc. You get the same level of free at point of use care if you are homeless or if you're a banker.

Interesting to Google that report on "health tourism" and read the coverage by the Guardian and then the Daily Mail. The Guardian concludes that it's not a big problem, the Mail says it's "rife". I know which paper I trust to look at the report and present a rational piece of journalism
Old Sep 29th 2011, 3:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=nun;9649247]
Originally Posted by Ozzidoc

Yes Yes "free at the point of use" sorry for being lazy. The point is that it does not depend on what you pay as an individual in tax of NI etc. You get the same level of free at point of use care if you are homeless or if you're a banker.

Interesting to Google that report on "health tourism" and read the coverage by the Guardian and then the Daily Mail. The Guardian concludes that it's not a big problem, the Mail says it's "rife". I know which paper I trust to look at the report and present a rational piece of journalism
Neither?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-tourists.html

Brussels threatens to sue Britain to let in 'benefit tourists'
The European Commission has threatened to take legal action against Britain if ministers do not water down rules limiting foreigners’ ability to claim benefits.
I wonder if it includes health?
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
And the most pertinent part of the report would appear to be this:

"The figure is “bound to be an underestimate” since new rules intended to prevent the abuse of the NHS by foreign patients are being ignored, according to the report. "

Again, I wonder about the methodology used to come up with the estimate given that the report itself concludes it's an underestimate.
Also the fact that people are going and getting treatment then leaving.....At which point do they realize that someone has used the system that wasn't meant to? I'm sure people use the NHS that aren't supposed to and the NHS has no idea. I think that is the real problem.

On a side note I have been saying for a while now that the NHS should charge a standard fee for seeing a Dr, even if it's only 10 pounds. It would free up a lot of offices! They charge for prescriptions now a days and no one seems too upset about that.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 11:13 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ja5on
Also the fact that people are going and getting treatment then leaving.....At which point do they realize that someone has used the system that wasn't meant to? I'm sure people use the NHS that aren't supposed to and the NHS has no idea. I think that is the real problem.

On a side note I have been saying for a while now that the NHS should charge a standard fee for seeing a Dr, even if it's only 10 pounds. It would free up a lot of offices! They charge for prescriptions now a days and no one seems too upset about that.
That's a bad idea...I don't agree with prescription chargers as well. Free at the point of service is crucial so that there is no barrier for people to see a doctor. For the poor a small charge, even if it is reimbursed, can be a discouragement. Access to healthcare is vital for public health. I believe it's why the UK is healthier than the US.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
If you are a legal immigrant and resident in the UK then the NHS is free at the point of service. Once again, access to the NHS has nothing to do with how much or what type of tax you've paid or you NI contributions, it depends on your residency in the UK, that is it's beauty. If you live abroad then you have to find local healthcare
Interestingly, the local GP where I lived in Scotland, would not see me based on my spouse visa (residency) but would only register me (or see me) when I got my NI card.

So obviously NHS within themselves doesn't really know what they are to do in the first place.

And even though we've not lived there in over a year, I'm sure if I went back to them, they'd see me without a question? I never planned to go back to them as we are expats now and covered here in the USA, and we honestly thought not paying into NI meant no NHS services. We were wrong! So go figure! Obviously the average person doesn't really know the rules, but those who want to take advantage DO know the rules and know that the NHS folks are powerless or unsure of the rules. I'm glad they are tightening these rules and enforcing.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

I think a nominal fee to see the GP or nurse is absolutely a practical idea.

Prescriptions are free in Scotland, btw. Started last year. Amazing. Especially with a $100 prescription deductible we have with our US insurance, CIGNA.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
I think a nominal fee to see the GP or nurse is absolutely a practical idea.

Prescriptions are free in Scotland, btw. Started last year. Amazing. Especially with a $100 prescription deductible we have with our US insurance, CIGNA.
Yeah, as are college fees.....Maybe the Scotts should start paying their way!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.