Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New law means expatriates will have to pay for NHS care back in Britain

Wikiposts

New law means expatriates will have to pay for NHS care back in Britain

Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:00 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: New law means expatriates will have to pay for NHS care back in Britain

Originally Posted by Middlemore
As a nurse who until recently worked in a London A&E, I see two main problems here.
Firstly, immigrants openly abuse the NHS system, it is common for people to arrive at Heathrow and head straight to the nearest hospital. Not for genuine emergency care, but they usually say something general like 'abdominal pain', which means they get a whole battery of tests.
Something abnormal shows up, maybe a longstanding condition, but they deny all knowledge of it. They end up getting admitted to hospital, (free), via the emergency route, and the really crafty ones then refuse to leave, so that Social Services get involved to find them somewhere to live.

I saw situations like this up to half a dozen times a day.
Some would brazenly tell me that they came to the UK because "your government give me free money, free house and free hospital".

And yet, ex-pats, who HAVE paid into the system all their working life, are denied free care.
Even as an NHS employee with 25 years service, I do not qualify for free healthcare.

Something is very wrong here.
True. Perhaps it's time to introduce a law all non-UK residents (yes, this includes myself) should have to show proof of medical/travel insurance when applying for their visas to visit the UK or when arriving at the UK immigration channels.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:05 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New law means expatriates will have to pay for NHS care back in Britain

Originally Posted by Englishmum
True. Perhaps it's time to introduce a law all non-UK residents (yes, this includes myself) should have to show proof of medical/travel insurance when applying for their visas to visit the UK or when arriving at the UK immigration channels.
No, thank you.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New law means expatriates will have to pay for NHS care back in Britain

And yet, ex-pats, who HAVE paid into the system all their working life, are denied free care.
Even as an NHS employee with 25 years service, I do not qualify for free healthcare.

What's wrong is people abusing the fact that emergency treatment is free. The same thing happens in the US, of course, in that people with few or zero assets use the emergency room as their "primary" healthcare.

But personally I see nothing wrong with NHS services being available to genuine residents only. Sure, some of us paid into the system when we were resident, but in return we got access to the NHS for the period of time we were resident. I just don't see why current residents should have to pay for the treatment of people - like me - who are now non-residents.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

Middlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Immigration is slowly getting better at policing those people who are essentially health tourists.
Those who 'just happen to give birth while passing through the UK', find that their details are passed to the Border Agency, so that the next time they enter the country, they have to pay their medical bill before being allowed in.

But so often the 'tourists' are one step ahead.
Just before I left I met a young lady from Poland, who again was 'just passing through the UK', while in labour.
It seems she had done it before becuase she gave a false name, of a friend who was in the country legally.

We had no idea she was using a false name until the Overseas Officer came to interview us a couple of days later. Its a good job she didnt need a blood transfusion, because we would have crossmatched the blood with the group listed in "her" notes.
Probably would have killed her.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:13 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know how easy it will be to enforce, but add me to the list of people who think "About bloody time".

What makes me even madder is people who openly boast about getting (unentitled) free care on the NHS. If you are going to cheat the system, at least keep it to yourself.

As for doctors who give free care to people they know live overseas, they should grow a backbone and say No.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:34 am
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all

If you leave the UK to live abroad you have decided you obviously do not want to part of the UK anymore or it's benefits, they should have done this decades ago, people who live and pay taxes in the UK cannot get a bed because of these health tourists.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Middlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Perthbum
If you leave the UK to live abroad you have decided you obviously do not want to part of the UK anymore or it's benefits, they should have done this decades ago, people who live and pay taxes in the UK cannot get a bed because of these health tourists.
Its not always that simple.
As someone who was made redundant twice, I felt it was unwise to stay in the UK. I would rather have a job abroard than benefit in the UK.

Last edited by Middlemore; Sep 29th 2011 at 8:44 am.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:52 am
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all

Its not always that simple.
As someone who was made redundant twice, I felt it was unwise to stay in the UK. I would rather have a job abroard than benefit in the UK.
Just out of interest what job do you do abroad you could not get in the UK?
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Perthbum
Just out of interest what job do you do abroad you could not get in the UK?
I already stated that earlier, I was a nurse in the NHS before it began downsizing and getting sold off.

The A&E I worked in is now run by a private company.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:58 am
Banned

I already stated that earlier, I was a nurse in the NHS before it began downsizing and getting sold off.

The A&E I worked in is now run by a private company.
You say you could not get a job as a nurse in the UK even though they are bringing in temporary nurses from abroad.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

About time they started doing this....I used to work in Specsavers and we would have people come in for free eye tests and free glasses later to find out that they had just been visiting for a week!

I agree that since I live in another country I should pay for healthcare when I go back....I tried to pay the nurse that gave me my shots for immigration at my local GP but she said there was no point.....
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:13 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

As a nurse who until recently worked in a London A&E, I see two main problems here.
Firstly, immigrants openly abuse the NHS system, it is common for people to arrive at Heathrow and head straight to the nearest hospital. Not for genuine emergency care, but they usually say something general like 'abdominal pain', which means they get a whole battery of tests.
Something abnormal shows up, maybe a longstanding condition, but they deny all knowledge of it. They end up getting admitted to hospital, (free), via the emergency route, and the really crafty ones then refuse to leave, so that Social Services get involved to find them somewhere to live.

I saw situations like this up to half a dozen times a day.
Some would brazenly tell me that they came to the UK because "your government give me free money, free house and free hospital".

If you are a legal immigrant and resident in the UK then the NHS is free at the point of service. Once again, access to the NHS has nothing to do with how much or what type of tax you've paid or you NI contributions, it depends on your residency in the UK, that is it's beauty. If you live abroad then you have to find local healthcare
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:17 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just been back to the UK for a couple of days and went to the docs to try and get some meds. I went to a walk in centre, explained that I needed some asthma meds as I'd left them back in Canada by accident.

It cost me 20 quid as a non resident, plus the cost of the prescription- about 14 GBP. So, 34 GBP in total.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

"your government give me free money, free house and free hospital".
That sounds like heap good deal. Mon.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, before anyone has a Daily Mail-induced aneuryism at the bloody foreigners and/or expats bleeding the NHS dry, a quick google suggests at the very worse, "health tourism" costs the NHS £200m p.a., and is probably more likely to be around the £50-£60m mark. It may even be as low as only £7m p.a. (that last figure apparently is the government's most recent annual write-off of money owed by non-residents for treatment as unrecoverable - for instance bills run up by EU visitors get reimbursed by their governments).

When you consider that the NHS's current annual budget is around £100billion it puts it in a bit of perspective: even the £200m figure comes out to a fifth of one percent of the total, and the £7m figure is probably less than what the NHS loses down the back of its collective sofa each year

Last edited by rpjs; Sep 29th 2011 at 10:40 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.