Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New job in NYC, not sure what to do first.

New job in NYC, not sure what to do first.

Old Jan 5th 2011, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Bode is just really niceBode is just really niceBode is just really niceBode is just really niceBode is just really niceBode is just really niceBode is just really niceBode is just really nice
Default New job in NYC, not sure what to do first.

Hi everyone,

I am about to move to NYC for a new job as a graphic designer, I am about to be granted a H1-B visa, and am trying to put together a list of things I have to do to set up a life stateside.

The company will provide international medical cover (not sure how extensive this is) and are assisting with a modest financial contribution (few thousand $).

I am in the process of finding accommodation, but am unsure what I will need to do first i.e SS no, bank account, etc. Can I begin the process from here in UK or do I need to be in US.

I am hoping to get my partner of 8 years across with me, but judging by previous posts it will make more sense to get married. Given that my visa application is almost complete, is it too late for us to get married and her to come with me in February? or can she come out on VW, then I go home with her, get married, then apply for spousal visa and come back to US together.

Sorry if this is a bit much for a first post.
I have a million more questions, but I should pace myself (I'm a novice).

Thanks for any help (sorry if these issues have already been dealt with, just give me a slap and send me in the right direction ha ha)
Old Jan 5th 2011, 7:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New job in NYC, not sure what to do first.

Hello again. There are literally dozens of threads about relocating to the US and relocating to NYC specifically. Take a look down the index for the old threads or try searching using the BE search engine. It's located in the pink bar at the top of the page...go to Advanced Search...and put in relocating/New York/healthcare etc. Make sure the US forum if highlighted in the large box. Good luck and if you need any help locating the threads please give me a shout.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 8:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bode
I am hoping to get my partner of 8 years across with me, but judging by previous posts it will make more sense to get married. Given that my visa application is almost complete, is it too late for us to get married and her to come with me in February? or can she come out on VW, then I go home with her, get married, then apply for spousal visa and come back to US together.
Just making sure you know that your spouse won't be able to work in the USA on an H4 (nor on the B-2 cohabitating partner visa).

Rene
Old Jan 5th 2011, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Bode is just really niceBode is just really niceBode is just really niceBode is just really niceBode is just really niceBode is just really niceBode is just really niceBode is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Just making sure you know that your spouse won't be able to work in the USA on an H4 (nor on the B-2 cohabitating partner visa).

Rene
Yes thanks, I had hoped she would be able to work but understand thats not going to happen. I understand she can do voluntary work if she wants?
I just don't want her to get bored, and its too good of an opportunity for us to miss.

Now I'm more concerned we can't afford it.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 9:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Now I'm more concerned we can't afford it.
There is a recent thread just down the page about NYC and the salary needed/cost of living which may be worth a read if you haven't already done so.

Good luck.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
There is a recent thread just down the page about NYC and the salary needed/cost of living which may be worth a read if you haven't already done so.

Good luck.
Yeah have seen a few posts that made my eyes water.
I am only getting around $48000, and people are worried about $190k not being enough. wow
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:06 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I am only getting around $48000, and people are worried about $190k not being enough. wow
OMG...I'd say $48K is way too low for 2 people on 1 income of that amount. Especially in NYC.

Rene
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

48k - not that people can not survive but it would be really tough in that kinda money (for two).....you will constantly be in survival mode. No luxuries, little eating out, little to no bar scene etc.

Thats my opinion, it's personal lifestyle of course.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
OMG...I'd say $48K is way too low for 2 people on 1 income of that amount. Especially in NYC.

Rene
It looks that way.
Not even sure that will cover one person very well.

Does anyone know if I can get a second job on a H1-B visa?
How far away from NYC would I need to stay to make the numbers seem better?
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

It looks that way.
Not even sure that will cover one person very well.

Does anyone know if I can get a second job on a H1-B visa?
How far away from NYC would I need to stay to make the numbers seem better?
H1B is employer specific. You can not work for anyone else. Don't know if you could get two H1B's

48K for two (in my opinion) will be almost impossible (with my lifestyle) and that in NYC or even outer areas.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Untitled 3 is an unknown quantity at this point

The other thread was for a family of four which comes with the additional expense. But $48 is very low for two adults. You'll need to do some serious budgeting.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by E3only
H1B is employer specific. You can not work for anyone else. Don't know if you could get two H1B's

48K for two (in my opinion) will be almost impossible (with my lifestyle) and that in NYC or even outer areas.
Thanks for the input, is this even enough for one person?
I have researched this quite a bit have obviously missed something big.

salary $48000

Tax $16000
Rent $16000 @ 1300/month
Travel $1000
Gas, Elec $2000
Food $5000
Internet/Phone $1000
Remaining $7000

Is this a realistic budget or have I got it horribly wrong?
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

salary $48000

Tax $16000
Rent $16000 @ 1300/month
Travel $1000
Gas, Elec $2000
Food $5000
Internet/Phone $1000
Remaining $7000

I very much believe that US offers a certain lifestyle for every budget. Mathematically it's doable but don't forget there are other costs that you might be ignoring. Visiting family back home, high insurance costs, little to no vacation etc...

Taco Bell has $1-2 food items. It's not necessarily stuff you want to eat every day but I am just pointing out that mathematically it may well make sense.

Take another example, to avoid paying huge rent you will either have to live in unsafe areas (closer to work) or have to go far away from NYC which will mean you might need a car - not necessarily to commute to work but still...

After tax you will get around 3,300 in hand (I am assuming married with deductions). Sure, you can live in that but it won't be fantastic living...
Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much for the direct, albeit frightening advice. I have been nieve, and blinded by my desire to work in NY. I am increasingly skeptical about significantly downgrading my lifestyle just to live in Gotham.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:08 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

salary $48000

Tax $16000
Rent $16000 @ 1300/month
Travel $1000
Gas, Elec $2000
Food $5000
Internet/Phone $1000
Remaining $7000

You say your company is providing health cover, but normally you need to contribute to the payment, this could run into the thousands.

Also $83 a month for travel?? You will have to live on the doorstep to work and your wife isn't going to be getting out much on that budget.

What are you planning to have covered in your Internet/Phone of $83, you have no TV budgeted in here and no cell phones.

Although as E3 said you could do this, but its not going to be much fun, especially for your wife. She can't work, will be in a very small not very nice apartment, she can't go anywhere on that travel budget, you are never going to go out to eat/drinks and she has no TV to watch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.