Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New homeland security buzz: Bomb-sniffing bees

New homeland security buzz: Bomb-sniffing bees

Old Nov 28th 2006, 3:32 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post New homeland security buzz: Bomb-sniffing bees

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science...eut/index.html

Scientists at a U.S. weapons laboratory say they have trained bees to sniff out explosives in a project they say could have far-reaching applications for U.S. homeland security and the Iraq war.

Researchers at the Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico said they trained honeybees to stick out their proboscis -- the tube they use to feed on nectar -- when they smell explosives in anything from cars and roadside bombs to belts similar to those used by suicide bombers.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 3:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New homeland security buzz: Bomb-sniffing bees

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science...eut/index.html

Scientists at a U.S. weapons laboratory say they have trained bees to sniff out explosives in a project they say could have far-reaching applications for U.S. homeland security and the Iraq war.

Researchers at the Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico said they trained honeybees to stick out their proboscis -- the tube they use to feed on nectar -- when they smell explosives in anything from cars and roadside bombs to belts similar to those used by suicide bombers.

Sure I read about this a couple of years ago...along with the bomb sniffing dolphins.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 3:51 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: New homeland security buzz: Bomb-sniffing bees

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sure I read about this a couple of years ago...along with the bomb sniffing dolphins.
Yes, I remember those dolphins, whatever happened to them? Well the bees are a good idea, sniffing out bombs while making honey lol.

Old Nov 28th 2006, 4:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I remember those dolphins, whatever happened to them?
the dolphins kind of sucked on land, put a bit of a dampener on the project
Old Nov 28th 2006, 5:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I remember those dolphins, whatever happened to them? Well the bees are a good idea, sniffing out bombs while making honey lol.

The bomb sniffing dolphins are alive and well. They are used in the cruise ship ports of Miami and Ft Lauderdale, to name a few. Yep bees, dogs, whatever they can use to locate explosives should be used...although I'm not keen on honey.