Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New Hampshire - an idea of what life will be like..

New Hampshire - an idea of what life will be like..

Old Jul 11th 2013, 2:04 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Hampshire - an idea of what life will be like..

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Really? Whoa... Learn something new every day...
I think Wisconsin has, or at least used to have, the same thing regarding car insurance. I always drive carefully around cheeseheads as a result
Old Jul 11th 2013, 3:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Really? Whoa... Learn something new every day...
It's why the roads are so crap, they forfeited getting a bunch of Federal money to have those freedoms.

They only count in state though, but it's why insurance in MA is so expensive, in part for the just in case that people don't have insurance. Saying that, they do have a higher percentage of people who have car insurance than MA
Old Jul 11th 2013, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

MelinUSA will become famous soon enoughMelinUSA will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jackattack
Gorgeous in the summer but beware, the mosquitos are the size of small rodents.
I can deal with the snow and cold weather, crappy roads but mosquitoes the size of small rodents ..... is this true????? My husband has just told me about the black flies ......is this also true or is he pulling my leg?
Old Jul 11th 2013, 10:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MelinUSA
I can deal with the snow and cold weather, crappy roads but mosquitoes the size of small rodents ..... is this true????? My husband has just told me about the black flies ......is this also true or is he pulling my leg?
They do have a lot of mozzies, they are bad. Black flies too, especially near the water and mountains.

The cold and snow is also really bad. Some towns deal with it very well, others not so, so that would affect your quality of life because badly ploughed roads and pavements really suck the life out of you during the long winters and they are long.

The other annoying thing about NH is the amount of toll roads, you can't go anywhere it seems without hitting one and per mile, it's so much more expensive than ME/MA...but on the other hand, you do have a few speedy drive through tolls if you have the EZ Pass which is quite nicely done. Sucks if you don't though.

Still, definitely one of the more nicer states to live in if you don't have to worry about work....and it's not Manc-vegas. Manchester really is a bit of a student dive compared to some of the nearby towns.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The other annoying thing about NH is the amount of toll roads, you can't go anywhere it seems without hitting one and per mile, it's so much more expensive than ME/MA...
... well that's the price you pay for no state income tax or sales tax ...
Old Jul 11th 2013, 11:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by md95065
... well that's the price you pay for no state income tax or sales tax ...
It's alright for the locals, but annoying for those on either end as you need to drive through NH for 5 mins to get to either state

Oh and the other plus in NH, you can buy fireworks....and you can buy really big ones.

They're banned in MA and they might as well be banned in ME as you can only have them in towns that recently allowed them and as many haven't, made it pretty pointless.

Oh and guns are popular and cheap too
Old Jul 12th 2013, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MelinUSA
There is definitely some leg-pulling going on :-)
Old Jul 12th 2013, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

There's a British pub in Portsmouth NH that does ploughman's lunches, sticky toffee pudding and bakewell tart if you need it.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 3:58 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by kins
There's a British pub in Portsmouth NH that does ploughman's lunches, sticky toffee pudding and bakewell tart if you need it.
Coat of Arms, or something like that? Good curry and chips too.

Plenty of great places to eat and drink in Portmouth if you figure out the weird parking. The hippy dippy pizza place in the middle of the main street is amazing too
Old Jul 12th 2013, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Portsmouth-Portsmouth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Coat of Arms, or something like that? Good curry and chips too.

Plenty of great places to eat and drink in Portmouth if you figure out the weird parking. The hippy dippy pizza place in the middle of the main street is amazing too
The British Beer Company is there too- I was there 2 weeks ago. They have an English beer or 2, and a few pubgrub items, but it is so new, it smells like a new car in there. They need to douse the walls and floor with beer to give it a better pub smell.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 7:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Portsmouth-Portsmouth
The British Beer Company is there too- I was there 2 weeks ago. They have an English beer or 2, and a few pubgrub items, but it is so new, it smells like a new car in there. They need to douse the walls and floor with beer to give it a better pub smell.
It's not a bad chain, there's a few of them down our way. Not bad bangers and mash and curry sauce too if you ask for it with your chips
Old Jul 29th 2013, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

cavalaire is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved up here to Dover NH from Florida last year and we love it. Its lovely to have four seasons again. The winters are an eye opener but the roads are kept clear but i have developed muscles from the snow shovelling on my driveway. Portsmouth is just like being in a small Georgian town in England, good little Pubs and Cafe,s and a relaxed vibe. I counter the Mozzie probem by drinking 4 cans of Stella before gardening...it works or me!
Old Jul 29th 2013, 5:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Portsmouth-Portsmouth
Just found out that A.B have bought the BBC chain of pubs and the beer process seemed to have gone up... Not noticed any other changes yet though :-(
Old Jan 14th 2014, 10:41 am
Just Joined

nina3 is an unknown quantity at this point

MelinUSA - I just saw your post on the forums about the leave to remove that was granted in your favor last year. I am in a similar situation as you.. first time on the forum and wanted to know how best to reach you to privately speak/communicate with you.. thank you.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 11:20 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nina3
Test - 2
Check

Check, check.

Check, check, check. Check, check.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.