Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New Hampshire excitement now!!

New Hampshire excitement now!!

Old Jan 20th 2004, 3:59 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future
Default New Hampshire excitement now!!

Wow stunning result for John Kerry in Iowa. Dean has bombed badly coming a weak third. New hampshire will be a real battle now and will probably decide who starts getting the big Mo for the key March 3rd dates.

Its a fascinating process i wish we'd had primaries in Britain.

Just my politics nerd comments for anyone who has an interest.

regards,

Duncan
Old Jan 20th 2004, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Jxab12 is an unknown quantity at this point

It certainly is an interesting process isn't it. However it took me a long while to get my head around the 'calculation' for the IOWA caucauses! Interesting that during the whole process, it's never really one man, one vote. The Electoral College is another confusing one for me.

Anyway, I would say good for Kerry, glad Gephardt is out of the way, don't write off Dean as many IOWA 3rds have got the Dem nomination before and John Edwards is a nice guy - but not for the office of president.

Cheers
Old Jan 20th 2004, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

In the last 11 elections, Iowa have chosen only 6 of the 11 eventual nominees. That is the same for New Hampshire also btw.

I dont see Kerry winning overall, when Clark and Lieberman enter the race. Dean and Clark are neck and neck here in AZ so the local news keeps saying. I think Kerry is another Al Gore waiting to happen. Stiff!. Edwards could be another Bill Clinton if they can work with yesterdays 2nd place. A young southerner in the same mold may be?
Old Jan 20th 2004, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Jxab12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good point - and I have to agree that Edwards gives a good speech (like Clinton did). If he gets a half decent NH, followed by storming SC he may well be the dark horse. It's just the inexperience that will likely hold him back. He does seem to have a good campaign team though.

Personally I'd like to see Clark take New Hampshire but he's not on 'home' ground. Can't see Lieberman doing much - they don't even like him in CT! Prediction for NH:

1. Kerry
2. Clark
3. Edwards
4. Dean
5. Lieberman
Old Jan 20th 2004, 9:46 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Hampshire excitement now!!

Originally posted by Duncs
Wow stunning result for John Kerry in Iowa. Dean has bombed badly coming a weak third. New hampshire will be a real battle now and will probably decide who starts getting the big Mo for the key March 3rd dates.

regards,

Duncan
Duncan: You're the politics wonk so explain this to me: Who gets to vote in the primaries? "Registered Democrats"? If so, what's to stop people who are really Republicans registering with the Democratic party and then voting in the biggest fool on the Democratic ticket (primaries), but voting Republican in the election?

Maybe my mind is just too treacherous....
Old Jan 20th 2004, 11:01 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by dunroving
Duncan: You're the politics wonk so explain this to me: Who gets to vote in the primaries? "Registered Democrats"? If so, what's to stop people who are really Republicans registering with the Democratic party and then voting in the biggest fool on the Democratic ticket (primaries), but voting Republican in the election?

Maybe my mind is just too treacherous....
As i understand it it varies state to state some primaries are open and all voters can take part, some are for registered Dems?Reps only. I suppose there is nothing to stop people doing as you suggest unless states have rules abour how and when you can register. In some cases they probably do. A Republican columnist here was suggesting Republicans go vote Dean in the Mississippi primary(which is open).

I am still on a learning curve myself with all this but its an interesting process.

regards,

Duncan
Old Jan 21st 2004, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Duncs

regards,

Duncan
I have the same name as one of the Democratic presidential candidates. Only I don't chase ambulances.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 2:01 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

The Edwards campaign reminds me so much of New Labour and their re-election.

With the young thrusting, media friendly candidate and especially the slogans: "New this.." and "New that..."
His press people have looked at the UK elections and borrowed heavily from that.
But... his official website he has slogans of offering "solutions" for various things.
No no no no NO !
As a Webbie I come across many hosting and web design companies and all I read was about them offering me "solutions."
It got that bad that every bastard was offering ******* solutions.
You went into Tesco and they had all these meal solutions !!
STOP USING "SOLUTIONS !" ARRRRRGHH !

"Being proactive" makes me puke as well.
Late 90's I worked for a hotel chain and I heard the word "proactive" about 5 times in 20 minutes.

Stop with these useless media buzz words !
You are only using them to sound clever and they mean NOTHING !

And a company having a Mission Statement.
That was another one...

MISSION STOOPID NOBODY ******* CARES STATEMENT !
Stop this madness !

Sorry... Need to go and lie in a darkend room now.

Edwards for President.
He's very proactive and will bring a new America and has many solutions.
(That's his mission statement.)
Old Jan 21st 2004, 2:04 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Webbie
The Edwards campaign reminds me so much of New Labour and their re-election.

With the young thrusting, media friendly candidate and especially the slogans: "New this.." and "New that..."
His press people have looked at the UK elections and borrowed heavily from that.
But... his official website he has slogans of offering "solutions" for various things.
No no no no NO !
As a Webbie I come across many hosting and web design companies and all I read was about them offering me "solutions."
It got that bad that every bastard was offering ******* solutions.
You went into Tesco and they had all these meal solutions !!
STOP USING "SOLUTIONS !" ARRRRRGHH !

"Being proactive" makes me puke as well.
Late 90's I worked for a hotel chain and I heard the word "proactive" about 5 times in 20 minutes.

Stop with these useless media buzz words !
You are only using them to sound clever and they mean NOTHING !

And a company having a Mission Statement.
That was another one...

MISSION STOOPID NOBODY ******* CARES STATEMENT !
Stop this madness !

Sorry... Need to go and lie in a darkend room now.

Edwards for President.
He's very proactive and will bring a new America and has many solutions.
(That's his mission statement.)
So, Webbie, what would be your mission statement for John Edwards? Come on, get out of your darkened room and give us the "true" John Edwards mission statement....
Old Jan 21st 2004, 2:23 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dunroving
So, Webbie, what would be your mission statement for John Edwards? Come on, get out of your darkened room and give us the "true" John Edwards mission statement....
I did it - the one above.

But seriously what should his mission (*eyelid starts twitching*) statement be ?

"We really are better that the devil you know."