Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New bank cards from UK bank to US address

Wikiposts

New bank cards from UK bank to US address

Old Sep 4th 2007, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New bank cards from UK bank to US address

Originally Posted by Rushman
I used a cheap (??) rate international calling card.

Silly cow told me to "pop into my nearest Barclays and ask the counter staff to order it"...this was AFTER I'd already given her my US address.
haha that's funny. I just remortgaged with barclays. I would rather deal with any bank other than them but they were the only ones that would give me the deal I wanted. THey required all sorts of documents, bank statements and proof of idea. I sent everything. I called to check and they said they had not received proof of id or address. I said that they had my bank statements as requested and a notarised copy of my passport. They said that the notarised copy wasnt good enough as it didnt have the wording that they needed. They then said that I needed the branch number and employee number stamped on the copy. I explained that I didnt think they had those things here. She told me to just go to my local barclays branch and they would sign it. I told her " I am in Los Angeles, 6000 miles away from the nearest Barclays". That rather flummoxed her. We laugh at Americans for not understanding the concept of another country but this woman was just as bad.
Guy phoned me today to explain that all was well. It turns out they couldnt verify the dates because they were reading the american dates as english ones. They still needed a new notarised copy of my passport. Apparently my bank's stamp authorised by the US government was not good enough. For future reference it has to say "i certify that this is a true copy" no toher wording is sufficient. Other banks in the UK aren't as fastidious about this apparently.