Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New Arrival Health Insurance Questions

Wikiposts

New Arrival Health Insurance Questions

Old Aug 31st 2012, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Arrival Health Insurance Questions

Originally Posted by SoundsFishy
I will be in this situation in the next couple of months (hopefully!) .. has anybody experienced any more short term initial healthcare insurance companies... ?

Geoff.. would you use seven corners if you were doing it all again.. or some other option ?
I never made a claim so I can't say what their service is like in that regard! But signing up is easy, no medical questions. It didn't cover us for prescriptions or doctor visits so we paid cash for those ($85 in the case of eyedrops for me; thankfully I had a much larger supply of a second eyedrop which was an eye watering $125 for generic; $65 for a doctor visit plus another $45 for some meds for baby).

I think, if I were to move to the US again, I would do things differently including having health insurance lined up and written in blood.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I've never used an individual policy, so I have no direct experience with them. From my understanding, there really isn't a 'contract' per se that exists between you and the insurance company when you sign up for a 12mo policy. You can stop paying any time you feel, and then that means your coverage will stop at that time. This also means that the insurance company can dump you as well if they come up with a 'valid' reason - usually if you actually do get sick. It's very unfair, and it happens all the time unfortunately. But assuming the Healthcare Reform Act doesn't get repealed, it will prevent insurance companies from doing this.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute

ok so the consensus is I can cancel at any time, and that's great. I suppose I'm too used to the British approach which is tie you in to 12 months and penalise you for trying to cancel.

Originally Posted by GeoffM
However, it doesn't go up to the 3mil mark, nowhere near. How lucky do you feel?
Well, I haven't got as far as completing their questionnaire yet, so that 3 mill is maybe just a teaser to draw me in, you know?