Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New Arrival Health Insurance Questions

New Arrival Health Insurance Questions

Old Feb 29th 2012, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

MrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Arrival Health Insurance Questions

Hi all,

I have been searching through reams of threads trying to find some advice on what to do for heath insurance when i arrive as an immigrant to the US and would appreciate some advice / personal experiences - there are so many options it is leaving me confused and frustrated.

Basically, I am flying in a week and it seems a bit of forward planning would have been a good idea. My wife is already in Colorado and has an individual insurance set up, with employer group insurance starting in 6 weeks from now. Apparently it could take up to 3 weeks to get me approved on her current individual policy so I am looking for other options. Are 'global medical insurance' plans aimed at expats of any value, and does anyone know if they can be active within a week?

Like I say, with hindsight I would have checked this out earlier, but as things stand does anyone have any useful advice please? I am getting worried...

thanks
Greg
Old Feb 29th 2012, 8:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Arrival Health Insurance Questions

I moved your thread into the General USA forum where there are a lot more discussions on health care and insurance. Hopefully someone will come along to answer your question soon.

Rene
Old Feb 29th 2012, 8:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrBaker2011
Hi all,

I have been searching through reams of threads trying to find some advice on what to do for heath insurance when i arrive as an immigrant to the US and would appreciate some advice / personal experiences - there are so many options it is leaving me confused and frustrated.

Basically, I am flying in a week and it seems a bit of forward planning would have been a good idea. My wife is already in Colorado and has an individual insurance set up, with employer group insurance starting in 6 weeks from now. Apparently it could take up to 3 weeks to get me approved on her current individual policy so I am looking for other options. Are 'global medical insurance' plans aimed at expats of any value, and does anyone know if they can be active within a week?

Like I say, with hindsight I would have checked this out earlier, but as things stand does anyone have any useful advice please? I am getting worried...

thanks
Greg

Your first port of call should be the BE Wiki. You may find the info you're looking for in there.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

MrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Your first port of call should be the BE Wiki. You may find the info you're looking for in there.
Hi, thanks I have already taken a look through the wiki:

I figure that the 'temporary insurance providers' at the bottom are what I need, but wondered if anyone has specific experience with these type of providers. It is really difficult to work out what is and isn't covered, or which would provide 'prior credible coverage'.

Cigna are the only insurance provider i have actually heard of that provide this type of service - has anyone else used them for this?
Old Feb 29th 2012, 9:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thanks I have already taken a look through the wiki:

I figure that the 'temporary insurance providers' at the bottom are what I need, but wondered if anyone has specific experience with these type of providers. It is really difficult to work out what is and isn't covered, or which would provide 'prior credible coverage'.

Cigna are the only insurance provider i have actually heard of that provide this type of service - has anyone else used them for this?
Go to this page....at the right hand side of the page you will see Search This Forum...go to Advanced Search. At the top left hand side of the page type in cigna...then select Search Posts only. Press the Search tab...this should show all the threads where cigna is mentioned.

Sorry I can't do it for you as the page is time sensitive.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 29th 2012 at 9:27 pm.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Go to this page....at the right hand side of the page you will see Search This Forum...go to Advanced Search. At the top left hand side of the page type in cigna...then select Search titles only. Press the Search tab...this should show all the threads where cigna is mentioned.

Sorry I can't do it for you as the page is time sensitive.
thanks, but this returns no matches. I get a few by searching 'entire posts' but haven't found anything of much help. I guess these 'temporary providers' aren't used much.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 9:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

thanks, but this returns no matches. I get a few by searching 'entire posts' but haven't found anything of much help. I guess these 'temporary providers' aren't used much.
Sorry my mistake...I meant Search Posts.

There are a few people who have needed temporary cover when they first moved over here...hopefully they will be able to help you.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry my mistake...I meant Search Posts.

There are a few people who have needed temporary cover when they first moved over here...hopefully they will be able to help you.
No problem, thanks for helping. I am just worried as this is new territory for me - I'll ring round a few places in the morning, see if I can get some advice.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 9:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's one of those pieces of string questions.

It all depends on the policy, the state and what people are comfortable for in a deductible and for levels of coverage.

There have been threads that have recommended specific short term immigrant cover, at least two companies off the top of my head, but don't recall what the companies are called.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's one of those pieces of string questions.

It all depends on the policy, the state and what people are comfortable for in a deductible and for levels of coverage.

There have been threads that have recommended specific short term immigrant cover, at least two companies off the top of my head, but don't recall what the companies are called.
I think one of the companies is American Patriot

http://www.insubuy.com/patriot-america-insurance/

.....but I have never used them so cannot give any comments on them
Old Mar 1st 2012, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

thanks
Greg
Do a Google search on 'short term health insurance'. Most major insurance companies do such a policy - Anthem, Cigna, Aetna etc. I don't know how quick they are to set things up but its worth a try.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 1:18 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Just be sure to read the fine print on those temporary coverages. Many of them are basically "hit by a truck" plans that will get you patched up should you be in an accident. They don't cover preventive care (i.e. doctor's visits) or major medical things like cancer.

You can find plans that are more comprehensive, but they cost a bit more.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Just be sure to read the fine print on those temporary coverages. Many of them are basically "hit by a truck" plans that will get you patched up should you be in an accident. They don't cover preventive care (i.e. doctor's visits) or major medical things like cancer.
Yes, but if this is only temporary for a month or two until the OP can be covered by his wife's insurance through her employer's health plan he probably only needs "catastrophic" coverage just in case he does get "hit by a truck".
Old Mar 1st 2012, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Since I wrote that bit a couple of weeks ago I've had a reply from IMG about the Patriot insurance. It does NOT provide "prior credible coverage" which I think means you really need to be on proper insurance before 63 days are up otherwise exclusions start kicking in.

Originally Posted by Bob
Two are in the Wiki !

Originally Posted by md95065
Yes, but if this is only temporary for a month or two until the OP can be covered by his wife's insurance through her employer's health plan he probably only needs "catastrophic" coverage just in case he does get "hit by a truck".
Yes, this is most likely what we'll do. Though I've had a written quote from a trade industry type of group policy, it's still going to be easier to set it up stateside but in the interim I'll get one of these temporary policies.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 7:37 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking of adding a "Prior Existing Coverage" section to the wiki to explain why it is important. Does anyone have some experience in what it took (i.e. what they had to get from the NHS) to prove prior coverage?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.