Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New Airport "security" procedures/charades

New Airport "security" procedures/charades

Old Jul 7th 2014, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Airport "security" procedures/charades

BBC News - Heathrow issues must-be-charged gadget advice

None of which makes logical sense to me. If it's a bomb surely it doesn't matter if it is powered off and in your checked luggage or switched on in your carry on. Anyway remember to put fresh batteries in your wife's personal items as they will want to check it works.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Airport "security" procedures/charades

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Anyway remember to put fresh batteries in your wife's personal items as they will want to check it works.
British Airways has said that its customers face being made to rebook if they are found in possession of an uncharged device.

What a Carry On.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 5:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

BBC News - Heathrow issues must-be-charged gadget advice

None of which makes logical sense to me. If it's a bomb surely it doesn't matter if it is powered off and in your checked luggage or switched on in your carry on. Anyway remember to put fresh batteries in your wife's personal items as they will want to check it works.
If it's in your carry-on you can access it and activate it by hand. If it's in your checked luggage it would need a timer or other form of activation (tilt switch + timer, pressure sensor, etc), which would make the device more complex, and (hopefully) make it show up on the security screening.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 5:14 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

If it's a bomb surely it doesn't matter if it is powered off and in your checked luggage or switched on in your carry on.
I haven't seen a device hidden inside something, the size of a laptop or smaller, which hasn't required most of the inside of the object to be removed. If the device works it is a reasonable, but not foolproof, indication it hasn't been tampered with. The powered off in the hold suggests they have specific information about what they are trying to prevent.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

It may not seem logical, and a farce etc etc, but as someone that worked 6 years at Heathrow doing airport security, they obviously have a credible threat. As mentioned before, one of the checks of electrical items is to have them turned on. Clearly, they aren't taking any chances and are saying if you can't turn it on, you can't take it with you.
Just as a little side note, that's me in the photo stopping the aircraft (genuinely)
Old Jul 7th 2014, 7:36 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
Just as a little side note, that's me in the photo stopping the aircraft (genuinely)
Seriously? That's awesome!
Old Jul 7th 2014, 7:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
Seriously? That's awesome!
I think you mean "brilliant", or are you flaunting the fact that you've gone native?
Old Jul 7th 2014, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

It may not seem logical, and a farce etc etc, but as someone that worked 6 years at Heathrow doing airport security, they obviously have a credible threat. As mentioned before, one of the checks of electrical items is to have them turned on. Clearly, they aren't taking any chances and are saying if you can't turn it on, you can't take it with you.
The best security is the stuff you don't notice. Broadcasting what you are doing is basically hoping that they don't bother trying because they think you are on to them, when in reality everyone knows that the TSA et al have been utterly incompetent at detecting anything.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 7:55 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

The best security is the stuff you don't notice. Broadcasting what you are doing is basically hoping that they don't bother trying because they think you are on to them, when in reality everyone knows that the TSA et al have been utterly incompetent at detecting anything.
Good idea that. Don't tell anyone that they will need to turn their device on and it must work. Thereby increasing the number of devices with flat batteries and increasing the inconvenience caused. Somehow I think the people putting out the information have the intelligence to say what needs to be said, and keep quiet about the rest.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury
Good idea that. Don't tell anyone that they will need to turn their device on and it must work. Thereby increasing the number of devices with flat batteries and increasing the inconvenience caused. Somehow I think the people putting out the information have the intelligence to say what needs to be said, and keep quiet about the rest.
The funny thing is that pre-flight security made a big deal about turning my SLR camera on, to prove it was a functioning camera eight years ago. I was somewhat purplexed and concerned because security wanted to open it up, and it was a film camera, in the dying days of the era of film cameras, and after digital cameras had already become popular.

I was preparing to have to rewind the partially exposed film back into its canister to save the pictures I had already taken if the security officer continued to make a big deal and to ignore my protestations that it was already "turned on", because it is a film camera, not a digital one. .... The location of this cutting edge security screening and/or concern about a hotbed of terrorist activity? Tel Aviv? Cairo? Lahore? JFK? ..... No, George FL Charles airport, St Lucia!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 7th 2014 at 8:10 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

*wolf whistle*
Old Jul 7th 2014, 8:18 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think you mean "brilliant", or are you flaunting the fact that you've gone native?
Oops...
Old Jul 11th 2014, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry what were you saying about farce?

US security at Phoenix, Arizona, airport misses man with loaded gun boarding flight to UK | Metro News
Old Jul 11th 2014, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Too busy checking vibrators.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 10:45 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was already part of the system for some time now, that electronics had to be useable. Maybe it was just in some countries and not others. I can not remember where I have been asked to turn devices on now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.