Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Netflix or Blockbuster?

Netflix or Blockbuster?

Old Nov 21st 2005, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Netflix or Blockbuster?

Thats fine if all you want to watch is "How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days" and the like.

I'm a bit more picky than that.

Originally Posted by rushman
I have a service where I get the latest release delivered to my house, I watch the movie when I want and then it gets taken back. Doesn't cost me a
penny in fee's.

It's called "a wife".
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 5:09 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kevntrace
Thats fine if all you want to watch is "How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days" and the like.

I'm a bit more picky than that.

I havent used this but I've heard it is okay - free month of blockbuster:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/b...&CMP=AFC-AFFIL
Old Jan 1st 2006, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

Dominique is just really niceDominique is just really niceDominique is just really niceDominique is just really niceDominique is just really niceDominique is just really niceDominique is just really niceDominique is just really nice

Originally Posted by rushman
I have a service where I get the latest release delivered to my house, I watch the movie when I want and then it gets taken back. Doesn't cost me a
penny in fee's.

It's called "a wife".

I work for Netflix, and I think that people need to be a bit more patient. We try to get the movies out to you in a reasonable amount of time. And the only reason our prices change is because we lower them to may our customers happy.

Saving Money, Aint nothing wrong with that.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 2:11 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dominique
I work for Netflix, and I think that people need to be a bit more patient. We try to get the movies out to you in a reasonable amount of time. And the only reason our prices change is because we lower them to may our customers happy.

Saving Money, Aint nothing wrong with that.
Yeah right.

Your spelling is as good as the Netflix movie turnaround.

Old Jan 1st 2006, 2:33 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I swear by Netflix, they are ace!!!!! We have kids in and out of the house so it sometimes takes us up to a month to watch a movie, next month we watch 20, love it, love it, love it

Plus I get to watch all weird films I would not normally watch because they come up on recomendations

Patrick
Old Jan 1st 2006, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

I love Netflix as the turnaround is so quick and their movies are always available to rent. I started off with Walmart rentals (I know I know) the turnaround was dire and movies were often on a wait list. Never tried Blockbuster though.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 10:47 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
I've had Netflix for a couple of years, and found the service great and the selection fantastic. I'm a bit tempted to switch to Blockbuster but only for the free in store rentals. My concerns with switching are:

1. The length of time it may take to get a new film (Netflix has a place very near me so I get my new films back within 2 days of sending back the old one).

2. The selection available - I found that they do not have one, admittedly obscure, film that is currently in my Netflix queue.

Can anyone give an informed comparison?

Thanks
I used netflix for a while and then switched to Blockbuster when netflix put me into their "he's been with us long enough - no need to ship new releases too quickly now" category. Also about 25% of my discs came broken. With Blockbuster only 2 discs out of 110 have arrived broken. Also blockbuster gives me two free coupons a month for game/dvd rentals. As it costs $19/month for the service and the games are about $7 ea/month, the service just costs $5/month - cheaper than cheap.

As for the selection - 99% of what I look for is on blockbuster. And the nearest hub is in Pittsburgh so there's a 2 day turnaround.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

Dominique is just really niceDominique is just really niceDominique is just really niceDominique is just really niceDominique is just really niceDominique is just really niceDominique is just really niceDominique is just really nice

Originally Posted by ukemigrant
I used netflix for a while and then switched to Blockbuster when netflix put me into their "he's been with us long enough - no need to ship new releases too quickly now" category. Also about 25% of my discs came broken. With Blockbuster only 2 discs out of 110 have arrived broken. Also blockbuster gives me two free coupons a month for game/dvd rentals. As it costs $19/month for the service and the games are about $7 ea/month, the service just costs $5/month - cheaper than cheap.

As for the selection - 99% of what I look for is on blockbuster. And the nearest hub is in Pittsburgh so there's a 2 day turnaround.

blah, blah, blah....lol

We have no control over the disc being broken. We inspect every dvd we ship out. The Postal Service damages our dvds in the process of shipping them out. We have filed several complaints with the Postal Service reguarding this.

Netflix does not have a physical store to give you coupons for no, but we have 15,000 more titles than Blockbuster and out Forgein and Independent Film section is hands down the best.

We really strive to get all our customers the movies highest on their queue, however if we have 100k customers all with the same movies at the top of the queue, we simply cant satisfy all the time.....
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 1:34 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

"That was a party political broadcast by the Netflix party"

they are better though...
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 2:08 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

I've never had a problem with Netflix. I did think of switching a couple of years ago when their prices went up ($19.99 up to $21.99). It was right about the same time that Blockbuster & Walmart copied their idea and were low-balling the Netflix price.

However, Netflix dropped their prices (down to $17.99) so I stayed with them. Plus I had never been a real fan of Blockbuster, their late fees always left a bitter taste in my mouth (plus a hole in my wallet!)

It has been great to see them grow from a little operation, where all of the discs had to ship back to CA, to now where even my little town has a distribution center. Local certainly = fast turnaround.

It is good to see them finally making some money - DEBT-FREE NETFLIX HAS 4.1 MILLION SUBSCRIBERS COMPARED TO BLOCKBUSTER'S 1 MILLION
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 3:05 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

blah, blah, blah....lol

We have no control over the disc being broken. We inspect every dvd we ship out. The Postal Service damages our dvds in the process of shipping them out. We have filed several complaints with the Postal Service reguarding this.

Netflix does not have a physical store to give you coupons for no, but we have 15,000 more titles than Blockbuster and out Forgein and Independent Film section is hands down the best.

We really strive to get all our customers the movies highest on their queue, however if we have 100k customers all with the same movies at the top of the queue, we simply cant satisfy all the time.....
I love Netflix, but I have to say the discs often arrive "dirty". I don't notice until it starts jumping or sticking. I've only had two unplayable discs, one was cracked the other just all scratched up (unfortunately, I watched it for an hour before it 'conked out". Grrr.). The dirty ones I just wash and then they are all right.

I'd think you could invest in a disc washer and somehow automatically separate discs that have been out, say, 10 times since their last wash and clean them. There has to be some way to do this based on the bar code on the disc cover.

Last edited by dunroving; Jan 2nd 2006 at 4:03 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 3:35 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Netflix Rulz!!!
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 8:11 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

blah, blah, blah....lol

Don't know what your problem is bud but since you're a netflix stooge and I'm just an average joe consumer, let me point any interested readers to this blog http://www.manuelsweb.com/netflix.htm that contains lots more juicy details on the netflix throttling phenomenon. For those of you who don't know, it's a phenomenon whereby the length of time you have to wait for a netflix dvd increases the longer you've been a customer, and then some other factors.

Enjoy.
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 8:36 am
Skyscrapered

Haggischomper has a spectacular aura aboutHaggischomper has a spectacular aura aboutHaggischomper has a spectacular aura about

We started with Blockbuster who proved to be awful - cracked DVDs, the wrong DVDs, and so on. Chucked them after 2 months and we quickly switched to Netflix and have been much happier.
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 8:39 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been using Netflix for about two years. I tried Blockbuster for about two months at one point and they managed to send me the wrong movie three times and a unreadable scratched disc twice in that time . I've never had a problem with Netflix, always get my exchanged selections within three days of putting the old ones in the mail (I live in a fairly urban area, though) and their selection simply can't be beat.

On the other hand, Blockbuster does give you coupons for free rentals at the local stores. That's definitely nice if you want something fast. I had a fairly terrible experience with them, but YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.