Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Negotiating our rent renewal -- any advice?

Negotiating our rent renewal -- any advice?

Old Jan 29th 2008, 5:58 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Negotiating our rent renewal -- any advice?

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
The affected areas have already been bleached (several times) and are not places that can be painted (bathroom tile, etc). The boarding under the kitchen sink should have been replaced from the get-go, but they refused because (according to them) it would be too difficult to recut plywood to fit in the same spot. So they just left it there.

~ Jenney
they seem to be a bunch of muppets, its wood FFS, send javier out with a table saw and some plywood and fix it
Old Jan 29th 2008, 5:58 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
if your renting, you shouldn't have to do that though
absolutely
Old Jan 29th 2008, 6:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
if your renting, you shouldn't have to do that though
Why not (unless the sealant needs replacing)...it builds up on the grout and sealant just like dirt builds up around the house if it's not cleaned.

I agree with BritGuyTN...it sounds like mildew. We get it in our shower...I spray bleach on it...rinse it and hey presto. Of course if it's been left to build up some elbow grease may be required.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 29th 2008 at 7:52 am.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 6:24 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

So while we’ll still have the same rent increase, at least now we’re getting more for our money. A newer (even if not brand-new) washing machine means no more extra rinse-and-spin cycles, which means a reduction in energy and water usage, and lower utility bills – yay!
Hey, congratulations! There's a result

You pay your own water/sewer? In our state, it's customary for the landlord to pay it, so I am always up on those leaking toilets.. they cost *me* money.

You could take to including a little wish list with your rent check every month; start documenting a request to have the board under the sink replaced. I get a little love note almost every month from the aforementioned tenant. She wears me down and eventually gets her wishes.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:14 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

In the bathroom, the best way I can describe it is that the black stuff (mold, mildew, whatever) seeps from behind the tile and "stains" the grout around the perimeter where the tub meets the tiled shower wall. Scrubbing the black stuff does absolutely nothing. It does not rub off and bleach, etc does nothing. I've tried all sorts of cleaners and nothing works, trust me. The only way to get rid of it is to literally rip it out and regrout it.

Ideally, the entire shower should be retiled, because we believe that there are small perforations in the tile grout and water/moisture constantly gets in there. But I highly doubt they'll be willing to retile, because it would also involve somehow replacing the wall behind the tile (which is probably black with mold) and I don't think they'd want to pay to do that. And we certainly can't afford to do it ourselves.

This is a completely different matter from the kitchen sink. We asked them to replace the boarding underneath but they refused for the reasons I'd mentioned previously.

~ Jenney
Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

In the bathroom, the best way I can describe it is that the black stuff (mold, mildew, whatever) seeps from behind the tile and "stains" the grout around the perimeter where the tub meets the tiled shower wall. Scrubbing the black stuff does absolutely nothing. It does not rub off and bleach, etc does nothing. I've tried all sorts of cleaners and nothing works, trust me. The only way to get rid of it is to literally rip it out and regrout it.

Ideally, the entire shower should be retiled, because we believe that there are small perforations in the tile grout and water/moisture constantly gets in there. But I highly doubt they'll be willing to retile, because it would also involve somehow replacing the wall behind the tile (which is probably black with mold) and I don't think they'd want to pay to do that. And we certainly can't afford to do it ourselves.

This is a completely different matter from the kitchen sink. We asked them to replace the boarding underneath but they refused for the reasons I'd mentioned previously.

~ Jenney
Well if it was toxic mold, it sounds like there's enough around that you'd be sick by now. But I know I wouldn't care to live with that, my allergies would NOT like it.

You can put sealant on the tile grout, not expensive, perhaps you could give that a try. And I personally would put caulk where the tub meets the tile, rather than grout. That might help.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Why not (unless the sealant needs replacing)...it builds up on the grout and sealant just like dirt builds up around the house if it's not cleaned.
because that's why you pay rent, it's the landlords responsibility to maintain the upkeep of the gaff...
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:59 am
Mr. Grumpy

Originally Posted by Bob
because that's why you pay rent, it's the landlords responsibility to maintain the upkeep of the gaff...
cleaning is certainly NOT the responsibility of the landlord

grime on the grout/caulk/sealant is definitely the responsibility of the tenant since its caused by the tenant

if its all peeling off etc then the landlord needs to replace it

i'm not coming out to clean the kitchen stove FFS
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN

grime on the grout/caulk/sealant is definitely the responsibility of the tenant since its caused by the tenant

That's what I thought.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

I have to disagree a bit.

If the mold is seeping from BEHIND the grout, and cannot be cleaned - it's not sealed tight to the tub. I had this problem.

Technically, I'd say the landlord should remove the stained grout at the tub rim, and caulk the thing. Solved the problem for me. But actually, I did it myself, rather than wait for the landlord.

Of course there is a funny (now, after many years) nightmare story about me and the caulk... didn't realize you needed a caulking gun... gave it a good squeeze...
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:14 am
Mr. Grumpy

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's what I thought.
yeah, sorry, I meant to reference your comment

When I used to have some section 8 tenants one of the inspectors actually put on his report for me to clean the bathtub

I phoned him and we had a protracted conversation which ended up with him agreeing it was a stupid idea since the tenant had been living there for years

another stupid thing I had on an inspection report was 'trip hazard' since the tenant had some speaker wire lying on the floor...
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

yeah, sorry, I meant to reference your comment

When I used to have some section 8 tenants one of the inspectors actually put on his report for me to clean the bathtub

I phoned him and we had a protracted conversation which ended up with him agreeing it was a stupid idea since the tenant had been living there for years

another stupid thing I had on an inspection report was 'trip hazard' since the tenant had some speaker wire lying on the floor...
LOL I was going to say...it's like expecting the landlord to clean the bath for you.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:16 am
Mr. Grumpy

Originally Posted by Tracym
I have to disagree a bit.

If the mold is seeping from BEHIND the grout, and cannot be cleaned - it's not sealed tight to the tub. I had this problem.

Technically, I'd say the landlord should remove the stained grout at the tub rim, and caulk the thing. Solved the problem for me. But actually, I did it myself, rather than wait for the landlord.

Of course there is a funny (now, after many years) nightmare story about me and the caulk... didn't realize you needed a caulking gun... gave it a good squeeze...
my comment you quoted was a generalisation not referencing the Op's situation

I completely agree with your assertion, remove all the old caulk and re-caulk it
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

my comment you quoted was a generalisation not referencing the Op's situation

I completely agree with your assertion, remove all the old caulk and re-caulk it
Oh sure, I understand. Sorry.

Sounds like she just has GROUT at the tubline rather than caulk. Which I think doesn't work nearly as well.

Re-caulking it and sealing the grout might help quite a bit - if it's all leaky, water's getting behind there whenever she uses the shower.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Tracym
Oh sure, I understand. Sorry.

Sounds like she just has GROUT at the tubline rather than caulk. Which I think doesn't work nearly as well.

Re-caulking it and sealing the grout might help quite a bit - if it's all leaky, water's getting behind there whenever she uses the shower.
Both are easy jobs to do and cost very little. I'd rather do it myself...as in let hubby do it ...than have workmen or the landlord around the place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.