Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Needy Generation...

Needy Generation...

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 4:11 pm
Perfumdiva1

Default Re: Needy Generation...

Originally Posted by Tami2
Let's see...right click on the picture and "save pictue as" and name it and put it in your picture file or desktop or where ever. Go to the My Profile up in the blue line across the top of the page. Once inside on the left side there is a column of stuff. Click on edit my avatar. Go in there and it will have an area with a box that says browse. Click it and find the avatar where ever you stored it. Double click and it will show the name in the box. Hit the upload button and I think that should do it. Bob could probably tell you better though.

Tami2

Thanks for the instructions

I had no clue

Son no.1 helped his useless Mother

One day I shall get it

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 4:11 pm
Yes, Master...

Tami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Perfumdiva1
Hey

It worked

Thanks to my genius son
Kids are occassionally good for something...Hubby thinks they're for handing him the remote...LOL
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 4:13 pm
Perfumdiva1

Hey, it worked. I see it. Good girl. If you want something different we can play with it another time.

No it is perfect

Thank you soooooooooooo much

Sleep well

Dont get frost bite on the way to the bus stop

Definately Karma coming your way

Had a lot of fun tonight

PD
x

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 4:16 pm
Perfumdiva1

Kids are occassionally good for something...Hubby thinks they're for handing him the remote...LOL

OK

Dont know how to spread reputation, before Karma

What the bloody hell does that mean ?????????????

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 4:16 pm
Perfumdiva1

Oh My God

Just realised

You must have been a child bride ????????????

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 4:20 pm
Perfumdiva1

Looks like just u and me left

Everyone else gone to bed, sensible people

Up at 6am UUrrrghhhhhhh

Had fun

PD
x

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 3:11 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Needy Generation...

Again, I agree it shouldn't just be handed to them without any meaning. But, if she graduates from college (she's in the honor's college), and she's managed to learn to drive by then, we've discussed giving her a new little suv for graduation. Thank goodness that's two years down the road! We really value and stress education with our kids and they know they have to keep their grades very high. To me, that's their job right now, and if they do it well, then they deserve some reward. We have such a difference in ages, it's really varied. They each get an allowance each month and either a bonus or something special they've been wanting every quarter if their report cards are good. It's just kind of an incentive program.

It's a very bad idea buying an SUV for a young, inexperienced driver:

http://carfax.com/teen_driving/Teen_Safety_Home.cfm

(See article: Teens Can't Handle SUVs) :scared:
Old Feb 4th 2005, 5:46 am
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

um......

don't mean to be rude like, but would perfume and tami kindly **** off to the "lounge" if they want to carry on with the "I live in Dubai....hey girlfriend" bullshit.

I mean for once I thought I had come up with a thread that we could all chime in on, and all I get is 6 pages of shite!
Old Feb 4th 2005, 2:47 pm
Cuppa tea and a biccie !!

Tracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by psb182
how come everyone on here has a husband working in Dubai???????
I wish my husband was working in Dubai !!!
Old Feb 4th 2005, 2:53 pm

Tracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Perfumdiva1
I know this is gonna sound totally sappy or physco

But the Middle East is where I feel at home
How weird is that..
For me it is truly magical.....
I have to agree with you there, I lived in Bahrain for three years and LOVED it - felt completely safe etc etc. (also had a 'house boy' - an Indian gent - to do all my housework, shopping, cleaning, washing etc etc etc )

Loved it there !! Miss it loads !
Old Feb 4th 2005, 3:05 pm

Back on subject . . . .
Yes - most American kids are totally spoilt - they want it all and want it NOW ! It's called instant gratification, and that's why this country's inhabitants are up to their eyeballs in debt and many file for bankruptcy.
When I married my hubby he was in debt (which we paid off gradually) and since then I've been running the finances (thank God) We now have a nice house, plus a car and a truck (both 2001 models that we own outright ) and we pay our bills and credit card (NOT plural - one Credit Card only !) off every month. If we don't have the money, we don't buy it. Only debt we have is the mortgage - I even refied that when interest rates dropped and it's a 15 year rather than a 30. All these ways of thinking were totally alien to hubby but now he sees the value in my financial outlook.
I just couldn't sleep at night knowing we had loads of debt etc. Scary !! :scared:
The younger generation really need financial counselling at school, as things will only get worse. What really gets me is that they seem to think they deserve everything without putting an ounce of effort into it. I had to walk to work for two years (2 miles each way) until I could get a car loan to buy my first car (a Hillman Imp !) Now I see high school kids driving around in Camaros and BMW's - It's ridiculous !!
They take it all for granted and will never know the feeling of satisfaction of working hard to obtain certain things.
Awful !
Old Feb 5th 2005, 3:44 am
Perfumdiva1

Originally Posted by Yosser
um......

don't mean to be rude like, but would perfume and tami kindly **** off to the "lounge" if they want to carry on with the "I live in Dubai....hey girlfriend" bullshit.

I mean for once I thought I had come up with a thread that we could all chime in on, and all I get is 6 pages of shite!
Oh piss of you miserable git

When we chatting, there was actually nobody else on the thread, apart from psb, and HE didnt have a problem

And the majority of the thread was related to the subject

Old Feb 5th 2005, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes being in debt is hard to avoid. My daughter is currently in her 2nd yr at University and we are paying all her expenses. However, once she has finished her undergraduate degree, she will be on her own as we have 2 other kids, hot on her heels. As she is wanting to go to Medical school, she knows she will be in debt by at least $100,000 by the end of it. Hopefully, she will be able to do a part-time job whilst she is studying or that might be a conservative estimate.

As for us, no doubt for the first time in years, we will also be facing a large debt as having 2 kids in College at the same time, we will have no option than to borrow money.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

I am going to play devil's advocate with this.

(1) College graduates today graduate in more debt than many of us have ever been in our lives, and they have paid more than most of us for that education. That drives the expectation of financial payoff. Having paid $100,000 in education, a job paying $20,000 is not acceptable. If you are bringing a hundred thousand dollars worth of intellectual capital to a firm, it needs to be recognized (financially). If that education isn't recognized as worth anything, why do companies keep requiring higher and higher levels of expensive university education?

(2) There is no financial safety net in the US, even social security is about to die, not to mention the potential for medical costs in later life. So, as an American graduate, you need to be earning more right off the bat in order to build a cushion.

(3) The college graduates I have met have been extraordinarly driven, ambitious, and hard-working. They work longer hours and at lower hourly pay than their European counterparts.

Of course, then you watch one of the MTV "reality" shows and you think they're all a bunch of hormone-driven layabouts with psychological disorders...but that's tv.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 6:05 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
I am going to play devil's advocate with this.

(1) College graduates today graduate in more debt than many of us have ever been in our lives, and they have paid more than most of us for that education. That drives the expectation of financial payoff. Having paid $100,000 in education, a job paying $20,000 is not acceptable. If you are bringing a hundred thousand dollars worth of intellectual capital to a firm, it needs to be recognized (financially). If that education isn't recognized as worth anything, why do companies keep requiring higher and higher levels of expensive university education?

(.....
To be Devil's advocate in return, I'm not sure that many students pay $100,000 on their education, but on the "must-haves" (car, Spring Break trips, cable TV, other toys) that go with the sentiment of this thread. Even if students don't work (and of course most of them do), figure $4,000 p.a. tuition/fees (I'm talking State school here, folks), $3,000 p.a. rent/utilities (I'm talking sharing an old house with 3 other students), and $3.000 p.a. groceries (I'm not talking Domino's pizza every night), and you get $10,000 p.a. times 4 years = $40,000 tops. Most students can be on mom and dad's health insurance, and do without all but the basic necessities, if they choose to. Work 20 hrs/week for 50 weeks at $5 per hr net = $5,000 p.a. income. All told, a 4-year education can easily be had for $20,000.

That's if you do it the way we did it in the UK not too long ago. But to do this, you have to sacrifice. It's ironic that while "monkey-brain" (I think that's what people on here call him) harps on about the sacrifices of US soldiers, he doesn't say anything about the general public sacrificing. There's just such a sense of entitlement to the best of everything - even if you can't afford it.

I think my estimates are pretty conservative too - I worked 40+ hrs a week during summers when I was working on my doctoral degree (here in the US), and 20 hrs a week during the semesters. 6 years of education cost me maybe 20,000 GBP tops - and that included one year when I didn't work at all, studying at a private school (unfortunately, 20,000 GBP was all I had - but it didn't kill me). That one year accounted for maybe 10,000 GBP of the 20,000.

Now if you insist on going to a private school for 4 years, of course the picture is different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.