Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Needy Generation...

Needy Generation...

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Needy Generation...

Originally Posted by Dan725
Needy young generation? More like needy every genereation if you ask me, bunch of ponces propping up a futre bunch of ponces All buying crap they don't need, getting into debt and pretending they have really important jobs with complicated titles that just mean "office clerk" or "security guard"!

Dan you are on the ball with that comment.....a "TITLE" over here means a lot to people......and I know guys who's wives are on the qvc channel all fuggin day buying junk on credit cards that will eventually catch up with them and drag them into the gutter.......imo if you can't write a check then you can't afford it......thats not saying everyone is irresponsible with credit cards but many have balances that will take as long as your mtg to pay off......give it a few years there will be auctions everywhere homes on the chopping block left right and center
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:21 pm
Perfumdiva1

Originally Posted by psb182
Dan you are on the ball with that comment.....a "TITLE" over here means a lot to people......and I know guys who's wives are on the qvc channel all fuggin day buying junk on credit cards that will eventually catch up with them and drag them into the gutter.......imo if you can't write a check then you can't afford it......thats not saying everyone is irresponsible with credit cards but many have balances that will take as long as your mtg to pay off......give it a few years there will be auctions everywhere homes on the chopping block left right and center

You are so right..

It is definately a "must have life style here" to impress the neighbours

My son will have his drivers license in the summer, and we plan on buying him something safe and not outrageously priced.

But, when his friends are having new BMW's, Escaldes, Mustangs, Mercedes, and belive me, I am not joking, they all think it is quite normal

We are British, and my husbands first car was a 50 quid mini which he rebuilt, and mine was a mega old MG Midget, but we were so proud of them.

Me thinks, he is gonna be seriously disappointed

Had to laugh, he asked if Grandpa could sent over his spare Jag for him to drive..

Bless

Innocence is bliss

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:28 pm
Yes, Master...

Tami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Perfumdiva1
You are so right..

It is definately a "must have life style here" to impress the neighbours

My son will have his drivers license in the summer, and we plan on buying him something safe and not outrageously priced.

But, when his friends are having new BMW's, Escaldes, Mustangs, Mercedes, and belive me, I am not joking, they all think it is quite normal

We are British, and my husbands first car was a 50 quid mini which he rebuilt, and mine was a mega old MG Midget, but we were so proud of them.

Me thinks, he is gonna be seriously disappointed

Had to laugh, he asked if Grandpa could sent over his spare Jag for him to drive..

Bless

Innocence is bliss
I understand what you're saying about the status symbols, and I agree, my first car (in 1979) was a 1972 Cutlass Supreme...but

As parents, aren't we all working hard so that we can give our kids a good life; maybe give them more or better than we had growing up. My husband was DIRT poor growing up in Iran and he has worked his @ss off, getting his PhD here in the states, working for 16 years for the big oil companies and now that he finally has his own firm and is doing well, who's to tell him he can't give his kids the good life. I guess you just have to be careful that they don't forget where it all comes from and how hard Dad had to work to get there.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

better than my crappy renault 11 then
that thing was a tank, but had a massive boot, very handy for lugging shite to uni
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:37 pm
Perfumdiva1

Originally Posted by Tami2
I understand what you're saying about the status symbols, and I agree, my first car (in 1979) was a 1972 Cutlass Supreme...but

As parents, aren't we all working hard so that we can give our kids a good life; maybe give them more or better than we had growing up. My husband was DIRT poor growing up in Iran and he has worked his @ss off, getting his PhD here in the states, working for 16 years for the big oil companies and now that he finally has his own firm and is doing well, who's to tell him he can't give his kids the good life. I guess you just have to be careful that they don't forget where it all comes from and how hard Dad had to work to get there.

Yip

My husband came from a very affluent background, but his parents still made him appreciate a pound.

Everything we do is for our kids, but I am not going to buy him a top of the range sports car, for his first car, for numerous reasons, but my main one, after safety, is that everything is not handed to you on a plate, and everyone has to have a dream,

My parent didnt have much money at all, but everything they had to spare went on us kids

Funny thing is, even though my husband had to save for things when he was a child at boarding school, and I did not, he is always more willing to give the kids almost everything they ask for.

Me, the older I get, the more cautious I am of throwing things at them, even though I did this up until recently.

But when they are asking for $40,000 cars, I have to say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

That would be a big NOOOOOOOOO

Just my opinion

PD

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

where it all comes from and how hard Dad had to work to get there.
Tami thats the problem...."how hard dad had to work for it"......I am not saying you can't do anything you want for your kids,it's your life do as you wish ...but I belive nothing is appreciated as much unless you earn it yourself....I guess it is a culture thing I don't know
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yip

My husband came from a very affluent background, but his parents still made him appreciate a pound.

Everything we do is for our kids, but I am not going to buy him a top of the range sports car, for his first car, for numerous reasons, but my main one, after safety, is that everything is not handed to you on a plate, and everyone has to have a dream,

My parent didnt have much money at all, but everything they had to spare went on us kids

Funny thing is, even though my husband had to save for things when he was a child at boarding school, and I did not, he is always more willing to give the kids almost everything they ask for.

Me, the older I get, the more cautious I am of throwing things at them, even though I did this up until recently.

Just my opinion

PD

agree 100%
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:42 pm
Yes, Master...

Tami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the rough

Yip

Just my opinion

PD
I completely agree. I would never buy my kid a $40,000 car. To tell you the truth, my 20 year old doesn't even have her driver's license because we were living in Saudi from the time she was 15-19, but she came back to the states to go to university at 18. Of course, women can't drive in Saudi, so she never learned and now she's afraid to try. But there are three more moving up behind her, so I'm sure we'll be buying them something to drive eventually. I think a nice, old Volvo would be good. Aren't they supposed to be extremely safe, kind of like a tank?
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:42 pm
Perfumdiva1

Originally Posted by psb182
Tami thats the problem...."how hard dad had to work for it"......I am not saying you can't do anything you want for your kids,it's your life do as you wish ...but I belive nothing is appreciated as much unless you earn it yourself....I guess it is a culture thing I don't know

Yeah, I didnt get that until I was older

The words "spoilt brat" come to mind LOL

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:48 pm
Perfumdiva1

I completely agree. I would never buy my kid a $40,000 car. To tell you the truth, my 20 year old doesn't even have her driver's license because we were living in Saudi from the time she was 15-19, but she came back to the states to go to university at 18. Of course, women can't drive in Saudi, so she never learned and now she's afraid to try. But there are three more moving up behind her, so I'm sure we'll be buying them something to drive eventually. I think a nice, old Volvo would be good. Aren't they supposed to be extremely safe, kind of like a tank?

Hey Girl

My eldest is having his first driving lessons this week-end, and in a Mustang, is it any wonder they want these kind of cars when that is what the driving school is providing

What to do...

He doesnt want my Mama mobile (Expedition), and his Dad's car is a stick shift

So tough luck then, wait until he sees what his parents choose for him for this birthday (just how cruel am I???) LOL

Volvo sounds fab, or how about a really old Saab

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:48 pm
Yes, Master...

Yeah, I didnt get that until I was older

The words "spoilt brat" come to mind LOL
Again, I agree it shouldn't just be handed to them without any meaning. But, if she graduates from college (she's in the honor's college), and she's managed to learn to drive by then, we've discussed giving her a new little suv for graduation. Thank goodness that's two years down the road! We really value and stress education with our kids and they know they have to keep their grades very high. To me, that's their job right now, and if they do it well, then they deserve some reward. We have such a difference in ages, it's really varied. They each get an allowance each month and either a bonus or something special they've been wanting every quarter if their report cards are good. It's just kind of an incentive program.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:51 pm
Yes, Master...

Hey Girl

My eldest is having his first driving lessons this week-end, and in a Mustang, is it any wonder they want these kind of cars when that is what the driving school is providing

What to do...

He doesnt want my Mama mobile (Expedition), and his Dad's car is a stick shift

So tough luck then, wait until he sees what his parents choose for him for this birthday (just how cruel am I???) LOL

Volvo sounds fab, or how about a really old Saab
Exactly!! I drive a Grand Caravan (I need it with 4 kids) and hubby has a Durango over in Dubai. I never learned to drive a stick, so it's only automatic for me
A Saab would be good!!!
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:53 pm
Perfumdiva1

Again, I agree it shouldn't just be handed to them without any meaning. But, if she graduates from college (she's in the honor's college), and she's managed to learn to drive by then, we've discussed giving her a new little suv for graduation. Thank goodness that's two years down the road! We really value and stress education with our kids and they know they have to keep their grades very high. To me, that's their job right now, and if they do it well, then they deserve some reward. We have such a difference in ages, it's really varied. They each get an allowance each month and either a bonus or something special they've been wanting every quarter if their report cards are good. It's just kind of an incentive program.

Have you seen the promos, they are doing for SUV's??? not good

I would rather buy her somthing closer to the ground, less roll over

Although, my first choice for my sons was a SUV, until I did some research, he is gonna be 16, and not all that responsibel/cautious, so something closer to the ground would be better for him

But he is a boy, insurance companies say girls are much more sensible drivers, although still need to re-mortage the house to insure either LOL

BTW, good on her for doing so well at college

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exactly!! I drive a Grand Caravan (I need it with 4 kids) and hubby has a Durango over in Dubai. I never learned to drive a stick, so it's only automatic for me
A Saab would be good!!!

how come everyone on here has a husband working in Dubai???????
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:56 pm
Yes, Master...

Have you seen the promos, they are doing for SUV's??? not good

I would rather buy her somthing closer to the ground, less roll over

Although, my first choice for my sons was a SUV, until I did some research, he is gonna be 16, and not all that responsibel/cautious, so something closer to the ground would be better for him

But he is a boy, insurance companies say girls are much more sensible drivers, although still need to re-mortage the house to insure either LOL

BTW, good on her for doing so well at college
Oh, I agree on the SUV if it's a youngish boy. But she'll be 22 by then and she's more levelheaded than I am. And like I said, she's scared shitless to even learn. I think at 16 they think they're immortal and they'll try anything, but 19 or 20, they've seen a bit more and relized that they're not invinceable. She likes the little SUVs and living here in the mountains in Pennsylvania, they do come in handy. We've got a while to wait though, so no worries right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.