Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Needy Generation...

Needy Generation...

Old Feb 1st 2005, 10:58 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Needy Generation...

Don't know if its just me, but has anyone else noticed just how bloody needy the younger generation of yanks are!

For example, I have worked for my present company for 2 years and I was thinking the other day just how many young guys 20,21+ years old that we have gone through expecting to make a fast buck, off the top of my head we have had about 20 people. They all expect to be earning top dollar for the lower rung type of work, but instead of working hard, keeping their heads down etc, nearly all of them expected a pay rise in less that 8 weeks.

Second example, I was in Houston all last week, took 2 - 21 year old helpers with me, they bitched about meal allowance ($40 a day) they bitched about the hotel room (not having a hot tub by the pool) called me a tight arse 'cause we booked into a $70.00 a night hotel, bitched about how much they were earning per hour (they were bloody well on time and a half!).

To top it off they bitched about how tired they were because they only had 7 hours sleep one night. One of the helpers has a brand new truck, a jet ski, and a 4x4 quad all paid for by mummy and daddy but was stressed because his girlfriend wanted a $400 ring for her birthday.

What the f@ck! when I was 20 I was earning 40 squid a week on YTS and had trouble paying my car loan on a 1988 ford transit.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 11:08 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Needy Generation...

See my other posts about this nation raising a generation of ponces.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 12:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

bunch of nonces...i'd be happy with a job, even a shite one right now...
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 12:34 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Needy Generation...

Originally Posted by Manc
See my other posts about this nation raising a generation of ponces.
Which posts?
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 12:56 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Which posts?
there's a few of 'em
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 1:01 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Which posts?
remember those 16 and 17 year olds running in and out of your house all weekend?
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 1:54 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
remember those 16 and 17 year olds running in and out of your house all weekend?

Oh those little gits?

One of the not-so-slim boys dived onto our futon in the basement and has broken the slats. I only discovered that today....and I was about to phone his parents when I heard the boy is currently at the emergency room as he jumped out of his window for a prank this evening and has a suspected broken leg.

I also found they'd hidden a lot of empty bottles of Corona and cans of Bud in a rucksack in the basement LOL!

It's also possible that quite a few of my son's X-Box games have been nicked....but it's his responsibility, I've also discovered that some of the kids he 'invited' into our house he didn't really know (friends of friends) and I guess may have appropriated the games. I suspect he's learned a valuable lesson but he's keeping quiet and doesn't want to discuss it.

The Chinese girl who was definitely the worse for wear apparently managed to conceal it from her parents...I was going to phone them to collect her (I didn't want to drive her home and have her puking in the car....had that done to me in my old Cortina donkeys years ago and it's *not* nice) but all the Chinese girls begged me not to phone them (and I know just how strict some of the Asian parents are....in Singapore the Chinese parents would frequently cane their children for mild misdemeanors) so Lisa was carted off to her friend's house a few doors down to sober up.

Yeah.... I do agree Manc, most of the kids over here really are mollycoddled....if my son only knew the things his mum got up to at his age....
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

I also found they'd hidden a lot of empty bottles of Corona and cans of Bud in a rucksack in the basement LOL!
nice...all those bottle return deposits
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:51 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yosser
For example, I have worked for my present company for 2 years and I was thinking the other day just how many young guys 20,21+ years old that we have gone through expecting to make a fast buck, off the top of my head we have had about 20 people.
Unfortunately the first thing they get taught in college is that their starting salary is going to be $120k to $150k.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:57 pm
You fat bastard

adeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really nice

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Unfortunately the first thing they get taught in college is that their starting salary is going to be $120k to $150k.
Then find out that there are no jobs, every man and his dog has a Bachelors nowadays anyway so it doesn't mean anything or the job requires a Masters now because everyone has a bachelors and they need someone 'better qualified''.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 4:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by adeshell
Then find out that there are no jobs, every man and his dog has a Bachelors nowadays anyway so it doesn't mean anything or the job requires a Masters now because everyone has a bachelors and they need someone 'better qualified''.
old boys network...either that, of have someone from you uni in all the top spots...works for Brunel elite...head designers at virgin, BA, Dyson...loads of places except black and decker after a student screwed them royally over a patent
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 7:04 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
yeah - this is hilarious

one of my friends is currently doing his MBA - he pulled out the statistic the other day about the average salary for people graduating where he is studying is 75k

he currently earns around 40 i think and he really thinks he will get a magic 85% payrise

what he has maybe failed to consider is that many of the people going into the course are in middle management and already earning 75k....

if he gets it then all the best, but it seems people have huge (misguided) expectations

this is probably the reason why i find most people under 30 seem to be up to their eyebrows in debt trying to live a lifestyle beyond their means with the help of credit cards and 5 year car loans
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 8:45 pm

Post Re: Needy Generation...

Originally Posted by Bob
old boys network...either that, of have someone from you uni in all the top spots...works for Brunel elite...head designers at virgin, BA, Dyson...loads of places except black and decker after a student screwed them royally over a patent
He he, my daughter is at Brunel University.....pity she's not doing an engineering or technical degree though....

My husband sometimes recruits project managers from outside the company and he says he's not been that impressed when he interviews some of the applicants with Masters from the Ivy League colleges, they don't seem to have the drive and commitment that the applicants from less elite institutions have.

(Here's me hoping that on the latest 'Apprentice' series the team members who didn't go to college beat the 'smart Alecs' LOL!).
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 10:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

He he, my daughter is at Brunel University.....pity she's not doing an engineering or technical degree though....

Brunel...very practical sense of crush the life out of you with shear weight of work, and you will work 10 times harder than someone at bournmouth and your first year projects will be better than anyone elses' final year project...
but black and decker was good, student designed a part that houses a motor for a drill, but before he left after his placement, he sold the design to bosch for £30K, B&D couldn't sue because he was a student and was under casual employment, also they never had him sign a confidentiality agreement...last time they made that mistake, and last time they employed a Bruenl student

Brunel also good at sports, very good at law, one of the top international law and management courses...which surprised me *lol*
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Needy young generation? More like needy every genereation if you ask me, bunch of ponces propping up a futre bunch of ponces All buying crap they don't need, getting into debt and pretending they have really important jobs with complicated titles that just mean "office clerk" or "security guard"!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.