Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Need some help - No 2 - My Purchase rights - I don't know them

Need some help - No 2 - My Purchase rights - I don't know them

Old May 27th 2014, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently Cheshire in UK but soon to be an Expat....
dfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud of
Default Need some help - No 2 - My Purchase rights - I don't know them

Not having a great week.

After being here since May, two weeks ago I finally replaced my UK motorbike and bought a bike over here. A 2013 Ducatti M696 with 1340 miles on the clock.

On Saturday while out riding I suddenly could not change out of 2nd gear, luckily I was near the dealership so rode it back to them and left it with them.

I have heard back today that a pin has come undone in the gear mechanism within the engine block and it needs repair under original warranty (as less than 2 years old).

Now I have only had the bike less than two weeks and have done less than 150 miles on it and am very unhappy about this. They have offered me a demo bike for the 3 or 4 weeks that my bike will be off the road but I have lost confidence in the bike.

I asked them for my money back but they talked around how it was now titled to me. (Bought it for cash) and there was a dollar value involved. They may buy it back from me but I will lose some money. I am waiting for them to come back to me. I don't know what my rights are.

What would happen to the sales tax I paid on top of the purchase price?
I have also paid for a tag, would I take that away with me if I left them with the bike?

Don't know what to do for the best on this again if you could offer advice would be appreciated.

Feeling a little fed up at the moment.
Old May 27th 2014, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need some help - No 2 - My Purchase rights - I don't know them

I think your rights would be limited to a repair under warranty.

Not an expert though.
Old May 27th 2014, 7:17 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps the state lemon laws would help -- I believe you are in FL?

http://www.myfloridalegal.com/lemonlaw
Old May 27th 2014, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Basically, drop your trousers and bend over.

Once you take the bike off the lot, it's yours unless something was specified at the time of purchase. Vehicles here do not come with ANY warranty from the dealer, but you do get the remainder of the manufacturer's warranty, which it appears you have. The dealer is 'being generous' by lending you another bike.

The same is true for a car purchase. I once bought a new Beetle with a salvage title. I found out over the weekend that it hadn't been repaired properly and tried to get a refund the following Tuesday (Monday was a holiday I think). I was told not to call them again and to contact their lawyer if I wanted to communicate, so basically, I was stuck with it! Lost a lot of money on that vehicle, so I'm way more wary now!!

ETA: Lemon laws usually only apply to the first purchaser of a new vehicle and not subsequent buyers. I believe the dealer has a certain number of attempts at the same repair before it is declared a lemon and it's not, in reality, easy to do.
Old May 27th 2014, 7:33 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf

ETA: Lemon laws usually only apply to the first purchaser of a new vehicle and not subsequent buyers. I believe the dealer has a certain number of attempts at the same repair before it is declared a lemon and it's not, in reality, easy to do.
Missed the fact the bike was used!
Old May 27th 2014, 8:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Your rights will depend on your state.

Some, like MA will be half decent with lemon laws. Most will be shite though.

Tags, check your DMV.
Old May 27th 2014, 8:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely state dependent.

Down my way, it depends on mileage/age of the vehicle. Dealer is meant to attempt a number of fixes before it's lemoned.
Old May 27th 2014, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I think that "first purchaser" bit is state dependent, but I agree with the second in that a lemon is typically defined as a vehicle on which there have been a number of failed repair attempts.

My advice to the OP is to stick with the purchase. The dealer is repairing it under warranty and loaning a bike for the time of the repair. Seems fair enough to me.
Old May 27th 2014, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I think that "first purchaser" bit is state dependent, but I agree with the second in that a lemon is typically defined as a vehicle on which there have been a number of failed repair attempts.

My advice to the OP is to stick with the purchase. The dealer is repairing it under warranty and loaning a bike for the time of the repair. Seems fair enough to me.
Honestly, I'm not sure anywhere would refund just because you had lost confidence in a vehicle.
Old May 27th 2014, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Now I have only had the bike less than two weeks and have done less than 150 miles on it and am very unhappy about this. They have offered me a demo bike for the 3 or 4 weeks that my bike will be off the road but I have lost confidence in the bike.

One incident does not a lemon make. It's second hand. I'd whinge more about 3..4weeks for a simple repair.
Old May 28th 2014, 11:03 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I had injector FP issues with my Mini after buying. The dealership carried out the replacement, but it was the manufacture warranty that covered it.
Old May 28th 2014, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

In general, you have very few rights. The court system seems to be the accepted purchase dispute method.
Old May 28th 2014, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Rickyk is on a distinguished road

Remember you just bought a Ducati, I have a few and they all love a little dealer shop time! It definitely would not fall under the lemon law as it is one fault so far. I think you are getting great service with the dealer giving you a loaner during the repair period for a used bike.
Old May 28th 2014, 2:29 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rickyk
I think you are getting great service with the dealer giving you a loaner during the repair period for a used bike.
Agreed.
Old May 28th 2014, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rickyk
Remember you just bought a Ducati, I have a few and they all love a little dealer shop time! It definitely would not fall under the lemon law as it is one fault so far. I think you are getting great service with the dealer giving you a loaner during the repair period for a used bike.
This - definitely. My M900 needed a complete Denso ignition system replacement and a new fuel tank - all part of the ownership experience. The dealer is looking out for you, in providing the loaner, as said by Rickyk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.