Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Need recommendation for good, sympathetic US accountant

Need recommendation for good, sympathetic US accountant

Old Jul 15th 2019, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light
Default Need recommendation for good, sympathetic US accountant

Hi all,

My family needs a recommendation for a good, sympathetic US based accountant who specializes in helping expats with taxes.

We're currently living in the UK and our US taxes are a mess. We want to get them sorted out, not least because we're worried about passport concequences. Need someone who can help file, but also negotiate back tax owed, etc.

Any recommendations are very, very appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old Jul 15th 2019, 2:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need recommendation for good, sympathetic US accountant

Who did your taxes while you were living in the US for 13 years. Can this person not continue to prepare your tax forms?
Old Jul 15th 2019, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light

She knows nothing about expat tax related issues. Or treaties, or special rules, etc. A lot (most?) accountants wouldn't know about this area of tax as why would they?

There are many companies out there specializing in US expat accountancy, but they seem to be out of the box, cookie cutter. I'm looking for a real person who we can talk to.
Old Jul 15th 2019, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

I know a dual-qualified accountant in the UK who handles tax affairs for US and UK expats - this is his area of specialty.

Let me know if you want me to send you over his details.
Old Jul 15th 2019, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

1)The US - UK Tax Forum is an excellent resource. It's an Expat forum based in the UK. As I recall there's a frequent poster named 'GUYA' - who I think is a UK chartered accountant - very knowledgeable about IRS matters: https://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?board=11.0

2)Comb through the links in this BE thread: UK/US Tax Adviser Recommendation

Last edited by MMcD; Jul 15th 2019 at 4:47 pm. Reason: added link
Old Jul 16th 2019, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TexanScot
I know a dual-qualified accountant in the UK who handles tax affairs for US and UK expats - this is his area of specialty.

Let me know if you want me to send you over his details.
Yes please!