Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

in need of a new cell phone, best price plan?

in need of a new cell phone, best price plan?

Old Jun 15th 2006, 2:13 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: in need of a new cell phone, best price plan?

Originally Posted by magilla442
Yes luv I did! just got in from my first 12hr overnighter! knackered, hope i can stay awake for the footy!
Congratulations! That's a weight off your mind. Enjoy the football.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magilla442
My british vodafone contract is finally up, and since i live here now i need to get a U.S. one, only thing is, I have no idea which company off the best deals for phoning and texting back to the UK, does anyone have any advice, I have spent hours trawling throught the websites, yet they all seem concentrated on national call plans

Any help greatly appreciated!
I have had Sprint for over a year now and I am really happy with them for the most part. I recently switched to a family plan, and we have 2600 minutes per month (anytime minutes), unlimited evening and weekend calls starting at 6pm, and international plan, roadside rescue, 500 text messages monthly all for $119.99 per month. The calls to the UK are 6 cents per minute and I have never had a problem with roaming/reception. There are no roaming charges with them either. Free phone etc as per the norm when you sign up. I have an extra line for hubby that was free of charge when I switched to the family plan.

One pet hate about Sprint. We have a spending limit of $200 and on occasion it has gone over that, simply because I have made lots of UK phone calls, used the cellphone for internet etc and they will disconnect your phone in a heartbeat with no warning. Same goes if your bill is even ONE day past due. I make sure that never happens now, but just a word of warning if you do go with them.

If you like to use the net or instant messaging on your phone, they have a vision pack which I believe is $15 per month and you get unlimited use of both of these features.

Good luck with whoever you decide, but I have talked to various people about their plans (and hubby had Cingular before and thought they were OK) but overall Sprint, in my opinion has the best deals and coverage.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 5:43 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

You could look at voipstunts or skype as you can make calls from your mobile.

Incomming calls is easy to setup as it just forwards the call and it does not cost you anything on voipstunt. If you get an exchange box you can also make out going calls to.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 10:46 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

The thing I hate the most about cell phones in this country is the way that they charge you for incoming calls. This was totally new to me & something I find so annoying. In NZ all incoming calls are free regardless of the time of day. Nights & weekends are all free too. Do you think the US will ever upgrade their system to at least try keeping up with the rest of the world??
Old Jun 21st 2006, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shepslady
The thing I hate the most about cell phones in this country is the way that they charge you for incoming calls. This was totally new to me & something I find so annoying. In NZ all incoming calls are free regardless of the time of day. Nights & weekends are all free too. Do you think the US will ever upgrade their system to at least try keeping up with the rest of the world??
They do it their own way in the US. According to them, the rest of the world are wrong and they are right. So, to answer your question...NO (Do I sound bitter?)
Old Jun 21st 2006, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I find it annoying too, however, the fact that you pay for incoming means that family and friends overseas can call you on your cell phone as cheap as a landline. Phoning a UK cell phone costs you an arm and a leg.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold

It is not a question of "upgrading their system". It's a question of the business model. The tariff is worked out, with users expecting to pay for received calls. That's why often there are no roaming charges, and international calls cost cents per minute.

Look at Europe. The calls there are more expensive per minute, but one doesnt pay for incoming calls. Also consider the geographical diversity of the US. Large centres of population at the coasts, and in the midwest. Not much else in terms of subscirber mass. Now consider having to provide coverage for that.

It's all in the billing systems. The call detail records for each call are pretty much the same, no matter where in the world the network is. How the billing system interprets it is down to the operator.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadster280
It is not a question of "upgrading their system". It's a question of the business model. The tariff is worked out, with users expecting to pay for received calls. That's why often there are no roaming charges, and international calls cost cents per minute.

Look at Europe. The calls there are more expensive per minute, but one doesnt pay for incoming calls. Also consider the geographical diversity of the US. Large centres of population at the coasts, and in the midwest. Not much else in terms of subscirber mass. Now consider having to provide coverage for that.

It's all in the billing systems. The call detail records for each call are pretty much the same, no matter where in the world the network is. How the billing system interprets it is down to the operator.
You have a point. Maybe we are not so badly off after all in the US.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

The same in Europe - but here in the US calling a cell phone is the same as a landline, dependent on area code - in UK it costs more to call a mobile - its the way the call charges are structured rather than being behind
Old Jun 21st 2006, 4:27 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

I swapped to cricket and I pay one fee a month and thats it text and calls unlimited so they do do it.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

sfoley is a name known to allsfoley is a name known to allsfoley is a name known to allsfoley is a name known to allsfoley is a name known to allsfoley is a name known to allsfoley is a name known to allsfoley is a name known to allsfoley is a name known to allsfoley is a name known to allsfoley is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Big D
The same in Europe - but here in the US calling a cell phone is the same as a landline, dependent on area code - in UK it costs more to call a mobile - its the way the call charges are structured rather than being behind
As I've heard quoted in a court case in India about this very subject (the cellphone company wanted a European style calling structure) - the poor man shouldn't have to pay for the rich mans (mobile) phone.
The US system, where the caller isn't penalised for the device chosen by the callee is much fairer IMHO. Also the notion that cellphones are somehow cheaper in Europe/UK is BS on a big scale - look at the price it costs to call an out of network cellphone, or a cellphone from a landline.

One other suggestion - have you looked at Vonage for your home phone? Their 24.95 month unlimited plan now includes unlimited UK calls. And you can get yourself a UK incoming number for an extra 4.99 a month. A really good deal IMHO
Old Jun 21st 2006, 4:32 pm
The American Job

Originally Posted by sfoley
As I've heard quoted in a court case in India about this very subject (the cellphone company wanted a European style calling structure) - the poor man shouldn't have to pay for the rich mans (mobile) phone.
The US system, where the caller isn't penalised for the device chosen by the callee is much fairer IMHO. Also the notion that cellphones are somehow cheaper in Europe/UK is BS on a big scale - look at the price it costs to call an out of network cellphone, or a cellphone from a landline.

One other suggestion - have you looked at Vonage for your home phone? Their 24.95 month unlimited plan now includes unlimited UK calls. And you can get yourself a UK incoming number for an extra 4.99 a month. A really good deal IMHO
Not sure I agree with that although it depends on the network and plan you choose, free cross network minutes where all the rage when I left the UK.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

sfoley is a name known to allsfoley is a name known to allsfoley is a name known to allsfoley is a name known to allsfoley is a name known to allsfoley is a name known to allsfoley is a name known to allsfoley is a name known to allsfoley is a name known to allsfoley is a name known to allsfoley is a name known to all

Originally Posted by britontour
Not sure I agree with that although it depends on the network and plan you choose, free cross network minutes where all the rage when I left the UK.
Compare like for like - here you can buy 1000 minutes/month across the US for < 50 bucks (30 quid) - try to find a deal like that across Europe (or even possibly the UK).

EDIT: A quick scan at Orange website shows that 200 minutes to "any network" costs 30 quid, with an additional 100 minutes to landlines. Hardly a good deal IMHO, especially considering its an 18 month contract. The US plan with T-Mobile includes unlimited weekends and nights.

Last edited by sfoley; Jun 21st 2006 at 5:30 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 6:47 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

I understand what you are all saying but I still prefer the $30 a month contract with unlimited nights & weekends & free incoming calls.

As for price plans etc in the US I really feel it depends on what part of the country you are in & the coverage that you want. I notice that most of the companies now offer no roaming. Being able to phone a cell phone from a land line at no additonal cost is good but not something that will convince me the system here is good. Ive been here 6 years now & I still prefer the service I had at home, guess some of us old dogs are just creatures of habit huh