Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

in need of a new cell phone, best price plan?

in need of a new cell phone, best price plan?

Old Jun 14th 2006, 4:24 am
Tim

magilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to behold
Default in need of a new cell phone, best price plan?

My british vodafone contract is finally up, and since i live here now i need to get a U.S. one, only thing is, I have no idea which company off the best deals for phoning and texting back to the UK, does anyone have any advice, I have spent hours trawling throught the websites, yet they all seem concentrated on national call plans

Any help greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 14th 2006, 4:29 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: in need of a new cell phone, best price plan?

Originally Posted by magilla442
My british vodafone contract is finally up, and since i live here now i need to get a U.S. one, only thing is, I have no idea which company off the best deals for phoning and texting back to the UK, does anyone have any advice, I have spent hours trawling throught the websites, yet they all seem concentrated on national call plans

Any help greatly appreciated!
i pay an additional $5 a month that allows me to call uk landlines for 6 cents per minute

www.cingular.com
Old Jun 14th 2006, 4:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

depends where abouts you are for what's on offer....T-Mobile and Cingular aren't bad though...

Problem you'll find, international calls on a mobile ain't going to be cheap, can get phone cards that you could use if you get free 1-800 access...

If you only need something to keep you going for a bit, Tracfone ain't bad, 90 days on a $20 prepaid card, and anything added on top adds another 90 days...and if you move, can get a new number for where you move to...and if you let the use by date go over, a top up within 90 days and you won't lose the mins....can't knock it for a $19 phone in wally world or wherever....not the cheapest option around as 1 unit=1 min local, 2 unit=1 min while roaming, but all calls are charged at same rate, and txt msg is 0.5 units....handy to have in the car as an emergency phone at least, or till you sort out a proper plan.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 4:36 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magilla442
yet they all seem concentrated on national call plans
Sheeh. If you look at any recent US map of the World, you'll find three areas of the planet - the United States of America, Here be Dragons, and Here be Illegal Immigrants.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 4:39 am
Tim

magilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
depends where abouts you are for what's on offer....T-Mobile and Cingular aren't bad though...

Problem you'll find, international calls on a mobile ain't going to be cheap, can get phone cards that you could use if you get free 1-800 access...

If you only need something to keep you going for a bit, Tracfone ain't bad, 90 days on a $20 prepaid card, and anything added on top adds another 90 days...and if you move, can get a new number for where you move to...and if you let the use by date go over, a top up within 90 days and you won't lose the mins....can't knock it for a $19 phone in wally world or wherever....not the cheapest option around as 1 unit=1 min local, 2 unit=1 min while roaming, but all calls are charged at same rate, and txt msg is 0.5 units....handy to have in the car as an emergency phone at least, or till you sort out a proper plan.

cheers for that Bob. I mainly use my mobile for texting, and I'm in NC, usually use 1010987 to call the uk on the home phone
Old Jun 14th 2006, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

NeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud of

Bear in mind that most companies charge for incoming as well as outgoing calls. I'm on Cingular, been pretty happy with the service so far. I have 500 minutes a month and any calls I recieve from the UK get deducted from this.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 5:12 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I thought T-Mobile had some special plan, but 34 cents/min doesn't seem too special.

http://www.t-mobile.com/Internationa...eOverview.aspx
Old Jun 14th 2006, 6:05 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

OP: Where's your credit history?
Old Jun 14th 2006, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

Drebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of light

I just moved from the extortionate VirginMobile PAYG to a Sprint Contract.

I pay $30 a month for:
- 500 free anytime minutes a month, extra mins only $0.10 a min (as good as any PAYG deal)
- Free evenings and weekends
- Free mobile to mobile if they're on Sprint
- Free picture mail and web access
- Selection of decent phones with rebates. Lowest end one is free.

And soon I'll try for $5 off my bill a month to get it to $25 a month.

Here's how you get it, it's not quite straightforward but it's worth the effort:
http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...&enterthread=y

Did have to put down a $150 deposit since I had no credit rating, but apparently I get this back in six months.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 6:18 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Drebin
Did have to put down a $150 deposit since I had no credit rating, but apparently I get this back in six months.
Pigs might fly! But good luck anyway!
Old Jun 14th 2006, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Drebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of light

For international calls I use the Bizon card from here:
http://www.cards4calling.com/

I found this from a reccomendation on this very forum, so thanks whoever that was.

It's great to use of a weekend or if you're up late enough for it to be morning back home... With it being free of an evening/wend on my phone, it just costs 1.9 cents a minute to call the UK! You can tie it to specific number(s) to avoid typing in pin codes, which is nice.

No idea about texts, hate 'em!
Old Jun 14th 2006, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold

Is roaming in the UK/ROW an issue?

If so - Cingular and T-Mobile are the way ahead (GSM technology), as they will roam in Europe/ROW, if you have the right plan.

If not, Verizon and Sprint (with CDMA technology) probably have a better call quality and are closer to 3G network enhancements. Virgin Mobile use Sprint's network, so technologically are identical.

We're on Cingular, and as posted earlier, for $5 a month, the outgoing calls to Europe are charged at a fraction of the "normal" rate.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadster280
Is roaming in the UK/ROW an issue?

If so - Cingular and T-Mobile are the way ahead (GSM technology), as they will roam in Europe/ROW, if you have the right plan.

If not, Verizon and Sprint (with CDMA technology) probably have a better call quality and are closer to 3G network enhancements. Virgin Mobile use Sprint's network, so technologically are identical.

We're on Cingular, and as posted earlier, for $5 a month, the outgoing calls to Europe are charged at a fraction of the "normal" rate.

I am about to add that $5 extra to our plan - glad to hear it works OK - 6c a minute is cheap enough outside of VOIP. Txt to the UK will still be pretty pricey though i imagine?
Old Jun 14th 2006, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a fan of the T-Mobile Pay as you Go - if you put 100 dollars on there, it lasts a whole year if required and gives you 1000 minutes. I'm a fairly light phone user, that lasts me about 3-4 months. Each text message costs a minute (or 10c, national or international). I wouldn't phone the UK with it though (its expensive at $1.50 per minute) - I use my Lingo VOIP "free" phone for that. Now they have improved their coverage area as you can roam on Cingulars network with PAYG (Used to be contract on). Compatible with the rest of the world too.

Last edited by Dan725; Jun 14th 2006 at 2:01 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 2:12 pm
Tim

Originally Posted by fatbrit
OP: Where's your credit history?

Just starting to establish it over here, but will put the contract in my wifes name, whos credit score is over 800!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.