Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Need Help. New York

Need Help. New York

Old Nov 14th 2011, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

cjnsmith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need Help. New York

I met my girlfriend when she did a gap semester at my university (University of Manchester), in my first year, she is Canadian but goes to school in Boston. We spent six months together and completely fell in love. We have done the long distance thing since, saving every last bit of spare money to cross the atlantic to see eachother, in the hope that we would soon be able to build a life together.
She just landed a job at TD bank in New York starting next year. I am terrified because I want so much to be with her but I know she will not give up New York for me because it has always been her dream and I can see why, I am in love with New York too.
I don't want this to be the end, after everything, that would be so cruel. How can I get to New York?
Can somebody please offer me some help or advice, anything.
I am now in my final year of university, studying Ancient History & Archaeology but I would do any job to be with her.

Advice please?

Thanks,

Christopher Smith
Old Nov 14th 2011, 8:48 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need Help. New York

Originally Posted by cjnsmith
I met my girlfriend when she did a gap semester at my university (University of Manchester), in my first year, she is Canadian but goes to school in Boston. We spent six months together and completely fell in love. We have done the long distance thing since, saving every last bit of spare money to cross the atlantic to see eachother, in the hope that we would soon be able to build a life together.
She just landed a job at TD bank in New York starting next year. I am terrified because I want so much to be with her but I know she will not give up New York for me because it has always been her dream and I can see why, I am in love with New York too.
I don't want this to be the end, after everything, that would be so cruel. How can I get to New York?
Can somebody please offer me some help or advice, anything.
I am now in my final year of university, studying Ancient History & Archaeology but I would do any job to be with her.

Advice please?

Thanks,

Christopher Smith
You can get to the US with money, work or family.

You don't mention if you've got lots of dosh.

Your skills are highly unlikely to provide a path.

If she were to marry you, you may be able to live in the US. Depending on her immigration status, you may or may not be able to work here.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

cjnsmith is an unknown quantity at this point

We are literally talking hundreds of thousands, aren't we?

I have started playing the lottery

We did even explore the marriage route but I wouldn't be able to work

I'm close to trying to find someone on craigslist to marry me
Old Nov 14th 2011, 9:40 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

We are literally talking hundreds of thousands, aren't we?
Yes.

The penalties can be quite severe. Don't!
Old Nov 14th 2011, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Well firstly since you are about to graduate you can look for a job for 1 year, provided it is relavant to your field of study.

Did you enjoy your studies? Perhaps a PhD might be worth looking into? Unfortunately, arts and humanities PhDs don't pay for themselves as effectively as science ones do, but it's an avenue to explore. Having said all that I've always found the primary reason for doing a PhD should be the love of the subject. It's a long hard slog if the only reason you want to do it is to be with someone/live in a foreign country.

Both of those are short term solutions (the first one especially so).

For the long term, your best bet is to go back to school in the UK and get more specialized, or get a job with a multinational in London or elsewhere that could let you move over there on an L1 after a while (at least 1 year).

Last edited by caleyjag; Nov 14th 2011 at 10:20 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 12:00 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

How can I get to New York?
If you're both ready for marriage... just marry her. Regardless of the visa she's on (what visa will she be on?) you'll get a derivative visa and will be allowed to stay with her in the US. You might not be able to work (depending on her visa) but you'll be together.

Ian
Old Nov 15th 2011, 12:22 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck!

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA Essentially what you've already been told, the common ways in.

If you're about to finish your degree, perhaps look at doing a masters in NY? Might not be a cheap option, but a realistic one in getting there and opening up the opportunity to network and perhaps help increase your chances of finding a job that might sponsor you....though that would obviously depend on what kind of work you hope to achieve with the studies you have under your belt....with experience and connections, might be able to land something at a museum, but if that would land a H1B, I have no idea.

You don't have to set your sights just on NY either, there are other colleges in other nearby states, Brown in RI that's a short hop on the train and as you've been to Boston, you'll know plenty of colleges there and only a couple hours on the train. CT too, wouldn't be a bad train ride.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 12:35 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously? Have you heard of marriage fraud?
Old Nov 15th 2011, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

H4s are allowed to study, right? This wouldn't quite fix the whole "extortionate fees" issue, but it would circumvent the "needing to far exceed the extortionate fees to get an F-1" issue. Providing her salary would be able to support you both, this could keep you together, occupied and on the path to more employable. (If she's going to be on a TN, sorry, but I have no idea of how/whether this would work for its derivative. Can anyone else chime in here?)

Check out the CUNYs - they are not fancy, but they have some good people teaching there. Academics like living in NYC too

Originally Posted by caleyjag
I've always found the primary reason for doing a PhD should be the love of the subject. It's a long hard slog if the only reason you want to do it is to be with someone/live in a foreign country.
It's a long hard slog even if you love the damn thing to death! Marriage for immigration purposes is one thing, but a PhD
Old Nov 15th 2011, 3:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retzie
H4s are allowed to study, right? This wouldn't quite fix the whole "extortionate fees" issue, but it would circumvent the "needing to far exceed the extortionate fees to get an F-1" issue. Providing her salary would be able to support you both, this could keep you together, occupied and on the path to more employable. (If she's going to be on a TN, sorry, but I have no idea of how/whether this would work for its derivative. Can anyone else chime in here?)
Problem with studying while on H4 over getting F1 student visa, wouldn't even be allowed to do the part time on campus work, if one needed the money.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 4:53 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Go for it!
Chances are, you won't ever get caught anyway.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Go for it!
Chances are, you won't ever get caught anyway.
Irresponsible advice.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 5:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Irresponsible advice.
funny though.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 5:25 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Irresponsible advice.
But advice, nevertheless.

Last edited by Xebedee; Nov 15th 2011 at 5:34 pm. Reason: ......must try to be nicer.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 5:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Xebedee
But advice, nevertheless.
Another vote for craigslist

Which category?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.