Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Need ALOT of advice!!

Need ALOT of advice!!

Old Jul 14th 2012, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Married2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need ALOT of advice!!

"I have had private healthcare for 4years so am used to having to pay through the nose. I understand the cost will be even higher in the states but a lot of things are cheaper as well."

With all due respect, you have no concept of how expensive it will be. Years ago, my husband needed a hernia repair within 3 months of marriage to me (and my employer had not put him on my insurance because they were waiting on some specific paperwork). My parents basically flew my husband to England and his parents paid for a private hospital and hernia surgery repair (not through the NHS). The cost for private hospital for 3 days as an inpatient and doctor's visits to his home while recovering was approximately 1600 pounds. The rate for the same surgery (keep in mind this amount does not include any individual doctor's fees or anesthesia fees)-- just for use of hospital for outpatient surgery-- was $16,000 (thousand) dollars.

Another example, a couple at my church had great insurance for their family through their employer and their child developed cancer. Their child has been dead for over 2 years now, but every month they are still paying off the bills they are still receiving for care that the child required while alive.

A friend of my mother's had a brother with his own business. He faithfully paid for insurance for his family and his workers for over 20 years. The week he got liver cancer, the insurance company canceled all of the policies that he held (his, his wife's, and his workers). He had to pay for treatment out of pocket (thousands of dollars at a time) due to having no active insurance. He died and his wife is still having trouble finding someone to insure her (she didn't work, so had no employer health plan to fall back on).
Old Jul 14th 2012, 2:00 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dta316
I do however understand why the USA can't just open it's doors and take all comers, the uk immigration system is a mess and we let too many people in.
The irony inherent in your comment is not lost on too many of us. You don't like immigrants in the UK, so you want to become one in the US.

The NHL is not a luxury to me and it's not free either.
I admit that the brawls are quite entertaining, and when the players charge the ice during a fight it's even more fun... but that's pro hockey for you!

Ian
Old Jul 14th 2012, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Dta316 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The irony inherent in your comment is not lost on too many of us. You don't like immigrants in the UK, so you want to become one in the US.

I admit that the brawls are quite entertaining, and when the players charge the ice during a fight it's even more fun... but that's pro hockey for you!

Ian
I have no problem with immigrants that pay their way I have a problem with people who take advantage of the system and that includes the lazy people in the uk or those with "back problems".

I should of said NHL is a luxury. I do like hockey.

As for the cost of healthcare I'm aware it's an issue for people in the states but there are a lot of people in the USA worse off than me getting by quite happily.

I have not said it will be cheaper over all in the USA nor have I said it would make my problems go away I simply want a country I can explore and have decided the USA is for me.

There are reasons NOT to move to any country but it's the reasons TO move to the states I'm interested in. There are many threads about what you expats like about the USA and that's what I'm basing things on.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 3:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Married2abrit
"I have had private healthcare for 4years so am used to having to pay through the nose. I understand the cost will be even higher in the states but a lot of things are cheaper as well."

With all due respect, you have no concept of how expensive it will be. Years ago, my husband needed a hernia repair within 3 months of marriage to me (and my employer had not put him on my insurance because they were waiting on some specific paperwork). My parents basically flew my husband to England and his parents paid for a private hospital and hernia surgery repair (not through the NHS). The cost for private hospital for 3 days as an inpatient and doctor's visits to his home while recovering was approximately 1600 pounds. The rate for the same surgery (keep in mind this amount does not include any individual doctor's fees or anesthesia fees)-- just for use of hospital for outpatient surgery-- was $16,000 (thousand) dollars.

Another example, a couple at my church had great insurance for their family through their employer and their child developed cancer. Their child has been dead for over 2 years now, but every month they are still paying off the bills they are still receiving for care that the child required while alive.

A friend of my mother's had a brother with his own business. He faithfully paid for insurance for his family and his workers for over 20 years. The week he got liver cancer, the insurance company canceled all of the policies that he held (his, his wife's, and his workers). He had to pay for treatment out of pocket (thousands of dollars at a time) due to having no active insurance. He died and his wife is still having trouble finding someone to insure her (she didn't work, so had no employer health plan to fall back on).
That's similar to what happened to my daughter's friend. She was 16 when she was diagnosed with an extremely rare and aggressive type of cancer. Mother was a nurse...both parents had good healthcare insurance. 3 years later they were $250,000 in debt.

After a year the insurance company refused to pay for more treatment at the NYC hospital she had been attending for treatment. So she had to switch hospitals and doctors. A few months later the insurance company refused to pay for anymore overnight stays in hospital. Nice way to treat a young girl who died died before her 20th birthday.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 3:25 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

People like me in the USA can only be good for the USA. And if I was to fail they could kick me out.
On various visa types, they absolutely will 'kick you out' if you or your business fails.
Like having good taste, everyone thinks they'll be a good immigrant.

I don't know why people keep going on about the NHL and healthcare. The NHL is not a luxury to me and it's not free either. This is rip off Britain and our tax including vat pays for it. It's only a luxury for the poor and the lazy.

I have had private healthcare for 4years so am used to having to pay through the nose. I understand the cost will be even higher in the states but a lot of things are cheaper as well.

The luxuries I'm on about are more material things. For example we pay £6 per box of lucky charms here coz you can't buy it in shops only online and the mrs is addicted to it.
You do not, yet, have any idea what constitutes 'paying through the nose' for healthcare.

You need to do a lot -- a lot -- more research about the practicalities of living in the US, let alone the practicalities of getting in. So many things you've said are setting off warning signs. Dislike the UK; better life in the USA; health care, sure it'll be fine; everything else is cheaper.

A lot of misconceptions and generalizations.

Plus, I haven't yet seen any practical way you could move to the US. You don't have enough to invest. Opening a new branch of your particular business sounds like a bit of a non-starter. You're too young to be considered a retiree. Why not just enjoy traveling round the US on the VWP?

Originally Posted by tonrob
If I were dying in a shop doorway having lost my job (and therefore my healthcare) followed by my home due to cancer, I think I'd still thank my lucky stars that breakfast cereal was so plentiful and cheap.

Don't listen to the rest of the Moaning Minnies on here - they don't know which side their bread's buttered on.
Every two weeks at work we have 'Employee Appreciation Day', with free bagels. It totally makes up for the company not offering healthcare. It's the little things, you know?
Old Jul 14th 2012, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... there are a lot of people in the USA worse off than me getting by quite happily.
Well, that's debatable. Without health insurance in the US, a single hospitalization could easily bankrupt you - and absolutely no one would care if that happened - especially the US government.

Ian
Old Jul 14th 2012, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

It seems to me as tho a lot of people on here think life in the USA is really tough. I would have to disagree now I know I have never lived in the USA but I personally think life is tough anywhere but mostly in third world countries. I know the problems you guys are saying I could face are real but so what. You can face these kind of problems anywhere and in some places much worse problems. Life is one big risk but if you don't try and do what you want to do with your life regardless of it being a safe decision then what's the point in living at all.

Yes I could become poor in the USA or could end up dying early in the USA but these are things that can and do happen anywhere.

Yes the nhs has its advantages but it also has its downsides as does private health care in any country but if I lived my life worried about getting Ill I wouldn't leave the house and would be some kind of weird germophob.

Guys your lives are no harder in the USA then any other country and from reading some of the great posts on this site it doesn't sound too bad at all.

If I manage to get into the USA I hope I enjoy it and encourage others to do the same.

If I never get allowed in there are always other ways around it. Not saying I would go down that route but it is an option. All I want is a country that has a lot to offer and no one can argue that the USA doesn't fall into that category.

Sure there will be bad things about it if it happens but that's just life.

My parents both died in their 50s due to the nhs so don't think it's some safety net that cures us all...... Shit happens (everywhere)
Old Jul 14th 2012, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to me as tho a lot of people on here think life in the USA is really tough. I would have to disagree now I know I have never lived in the USA but I personally think life is tough anywhere but mostly in third world countries.
So you have absolutely no experience but you know that it's not tough here? You're being ridiculous now.

If I never get allowed in there are always other ways around it. Not saying I would go down that route but it is an option.
So now you're so desperate to get in that doing so illegally has crossed your mind.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 4:39 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to me as tho a lot of people on here think life in the USA is really tough. I would have to disagree now I know I have never lived in the USA but I personally think life is tough anywhere but mostly in third world countries. I know the problems you guys are saying I could face are real but so what. You can face these kind of problems anywhere and in some places much worse problems. Life is one big risk but if you don't try and do what you want to do with your life regardless of it being a safe decision then what's the point in living at all.
It seems to me that you're relentlessly missing the point. All this 'life is tough anywhere' and 'just do it' rhetoric has nothing to do with the actual, real practicalities of moving to and living in the US. You just don't seem to be able to focus on anything specific and real.

Who cares about philosophical statements about life being hard and about countries which have much to offer?

Firstly and lastly, you need to think about what visa you'd get. You need to think about how your business might operate in the US. You need to think about boring little details like health insurance, credit cards, visa renewal. You need to think about location in terms of more than weather.

On this site, people with a plan get plenty of advice. If someone's posting about a possible job relocation in City X, State Y, they generally get lots of responses about everything from schools to job contracts. Investment visas, student visas, marriage visas, (and even 'I'm 15 and I really want to live in the USA someday) get responses from people who've been in the same position.

But these vague, pie-in-the-sky postings from adults who just want to move to America (not much caring about the where, and for what, and how) go nowhere unless you're ready to actually consider the details.

For me, that is what's frustrating about reading this thread. Some people start with pie-in-the-sky and then get very practical. Some just disappear.

If I never get allowed in there are always other ways around it. Not saying I would go down that route but it is an option.
If you're subtly hinting at illegal immigration here, forget it. You want to improve your life, don't you? Illegal immigration only counts as a better life if you're working for a few dollars a day in some drug-cartel-ravaged country. You live in Europe. Try to appreciate that.

Last edited by MoshiMoshi; Jul 14th 2012 at 4:43 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GeoffM
So you have absolutely no experience but you know that it's not tough here? You're being ridiculous now.

So now you're so desperate to get in that doing so illegally has crossed your mind.
Ok clearly you have no experience of life outside the USA or your little bubble. What I said was its no tougher there than anywhere else. Can I say it's tough to live on the streets of India doing whatever it takes to survive? Yes have I experienced it? No. Some things are common sense. The USA is not a third world country and the problems you may face there are minor in comparison to elsewhere that's what im saying. If your too idiotic or arrogant to accept that that's your issue.

Also I'm not saying I'm going to become an illegal immigrant I'm saying it's an option. Probably one too many people take who should be offered other ways of proving themselves.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 4:46 pm
Misses Los Angeles

Ok clearly you have no experience of life outside the USA or your little bubble. What I said was its no tougher there than anywhere else. Can I say it's tough to live on the streets of India doing whatever it takes to survive? Yes have I experienced it? No. Some things are common sense. The USA is not a third world country and the problems you may face there are minor in comparison to elsewhere that's what im saying. If your too idiotic or arrogant to accept that that's your issue.

Also I'm not saying I'm going to become an illegal immigrant I'm saying it's an option. Probably one too many people take who should be offered other ways of proving themselves.
Honestly? You're making a fool of yourself.

If you now have specific questions to ask about visas, business, practicalities etc, I'm sure you'll find this site more helpful.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi
It seems to me that you're relentlessly missing the point. All this 'life is tough anywhere' and 'just do it' rhetoric has nothing to do with the actual, real practicalities of moving to and living in the US. You just don't seem to be able to focus on anything specific and real.

Who cares about philosophical statements about life being hard and about countries which have much to offer?

Firstly and lastly, you need to think about what visa you'd get. You need to think about how your business might operate in the US. You need to think about boring little details like health insurance, credit cards, visa renewal. You need to think about location in terms of more than weather.

On this site, people with a plan get plenty of advice. If someone's posting about a possible job relocation in City X, State Y, they generally get lots of responses about everything from schools to job contracts. Investment visas, student visas, marriage visas, (and even 'I'm 15 and I really want to live in the USA someday) get responses from people who've been in the same position.

But these vague, pie-in-the-sky postings from adults who just want to move to America (not much caring about the where, and for what, and how) go nowhere unless you're ready to actually consider the details.

For me, that is what's frustrating about reading this thread. Some people start with pie-in-the-sky and then get very practical. Some just disappear.

If you're subtly hinting at illegal immigration here, forget it. You want to improve your life, don't you? Illegal immigration only counts as a better life if you're working for a few dollars a day in some drug-cartel-ravaged country. You live in Europe. Try to appreciate that.

And I can respect that which is why this started as a very vague post. All I wanted is advice on locations so I could look into the other details. No matter where people are they have to face the every day boring details. This seems like a grass is greener post on your behalf. Yes I live in Europe and yes it has things to offer but if you read the whole thread you'd see that I have seen most of Europe and have loved it but it's not for me long term. Doesn't make me a bad person it's just my choice. If you like Europe so much and living in the USA is so difficult have you considered relocating?
Old Jul 14th 2012, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Go ahead, come on over

Lots of cleaning up needed here after hurricanes, floods and the odd tornado. Send me your number and I'll give you a call
Old Jul 14th 2012, 4:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Also I'm not saying I'm going to become an illegal immigrant I'm saying it's an option.
I don't understand this statement at all. You are saying two opposite things here:

1. I am not going to become an illegal immigrant.
2. Illegal immigration is an option.

That makes no sense. If you are not going to become an illegal immigrant, then illegal immigration is NOT one of your options.

We (and you) aren't talking about other people here. We're talking about YOU and YOUR case.

Rene
Old Jul 14th 2012, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi
Honestly? You're making a fool of yourself.

If you now have specific questions to ask about visas, business, practicalities etc, I'm sure you'll find this site more helpful.
I'm guessing your British it's people as close minded and rude as you I'd like to get away from.

All I have done is said I need a lot of help and I have had some (even if it's in a rude comment) its helped. I now know the questions to ask and the things to consider hence contacting a immigration solicitor.

I have neither been rude disrespectful nor overly naive (even if initially a little unaware of some aspects)

If you don't have anything constructive to say then please feel free to stop posting in my thread and I will wait for a reply from someone who does. That goes for everyone.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.