Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Need advise...

Need advise...

Old Jun 11th 2005, 7:18 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need advise...

A friend of mine, both of them Indonesian. They getting divorce in the US. And what I am aware that now that soon going to ex-husband might be deported back to Indonesia since he got arrested for drug possesion.

1. My girlfriend told me that he won't sign the divorce certificate. She is worry, once he being deported back to Indonesia she won't be able to get the divorce certificate sign by him. Is that any way that my girl friend can force him to sign the divorce paper ...??? Any place / biro she can contact to help her to force this guy to sign the paper???

2. At the moment they still living in the same apartment ... she told me once he being deported she won't have anywhere to stay. She told me that in the US they need a number (not sure what number she referring to) to rent a place. She have no money with her ... She told me she need to pay 230 USD to apply for the number, and it still not guarantee she will get the number. So what she should do regarding about this?

3. She told me they have a saving in the bank ... but i would guess it would under the 'soon going to be ex-husband' account. She want half of the money since she have nothing when he deported, but he won't give any single $$$ to her. Anyway she can claim half of the money from the saving, maybe by showing their marriage certificate???

I don't know what to advise her since I never been to the US at all, and have no idea what the system in there like.

Thanks in advance,

NOVITA

Last edited by novita77; Jun 11th 2005 at 7:26 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 8:04 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need advise...

Originally Posted by novita77
A friend of mine, both of them Indonesian. They getting divorce in the US. And what I am aware that now that soon going to ex-husband might be deported back to Indonesia since he got arrested for drug possesion.

1. My girlfriend told me that he won't sign the divorce certificate. She is worry, once he being deported back to Indonesia she won't be able to get the divorce certificate sign by him. Is that any way that my girl friend can force him to sign the divorce paper ...??? Any place / biro she can contact to help her to force this guy to sign the paper???

2. At the moment they still living in the same apartment ... she told me once he being deported she won't have anywhere to stay. She told me that in the US they need a number (not sure what number she referring to) to rent a place. She have no money with her ... She told me she need to pay 230 USD to apply for the number, and it still not guarantee she will get the number. So what she should do regarding about this?

3. She told me they have a saving in the bank ... but i would guess it would under the 'soon going to be ex-husband' account. She want half of the money since she have nothing when he deported, but he won't give any single $$$ to her. Anyway she can claim half of the money from the saving, maybe by showing their marriage certificate???

I don't know what to advise her since I never been to the US at all, and have no idea what the system in there like.

Thanks in advance,

NOVITA
Which state do they live in? This is relevant.

Also, your friend's legal status may be at risk if she and her husband divorce.

Probably best that your friend consults with a competent divorce attorney practising in the state where she lives. Divorce laws may differ depending on the state.

NC Penguin
Old Jun 11th 2005, 8:21 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin

Probably best that your friend consults with a competent divorce attorney practising in the state where she lives. Divorce laws may differ depending on the state.

NC Penguin
Thanks Penguin, i will speak to her.

NOVITA
Old Jun 11th 2005, 8:33 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin

Also need visa status to decide if non-offender is also at immigration risk.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 5:07 am
semarang

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Also need visa status to decide if non-offender is also at immigration risk.
fat brit what do u mean?

my friend worry ... if his soon to be exhusband being deported, what going to happen to her??????? she have no SS to rent an apartment. Their saving under his name, and he wont give her any single penny.

thanks
Old Jun 16th 2005, 6:10 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

fat brit what do u mean?

my friend worry ... if his soon to be exhusband being deported, what going to happen to her??????? she have no SS to rent an apartment. Their saving under his name, and he wont give her any single penny.

thanks

Which visa did she use to come to the US? If, for example, he was here on certain types of work visa and she came as a dependant of her husband, she might not be able to stay and it might be better to apply for repatriation. Under other circumstances, she might be okay but needs to finalize paperwork. Or she might be okay to stay regardless. But we really have no idea given the current info.

As a immigrant, she can possibly claim certain benefits without jeopardizing that status, but we don't know her status.

Regardless, as a human being she can get help from charities, but it would be helpful to know where she was. Some posters might have local contacts if we knew this.

We could hazard many guesses as to what the number costing $230 is, but it would be useless without knowing for sure. All I have at the moment is that there's a woman in distress. You certainly don't need a social security number to rent an apartment. Beyond that, we need more info...
Old Jun 16th 2005, 6:16 am
semarang

Which visa did she use to come to the US? If, for example, he was here on certain types of work visa and she came as a dependant of her husband, she might not be able to stay and it might be better to apply for repatriation. Under other circumstances, she might be okay but needs to finalize paperwork. Or she might be okay to stay regardless. But we really have no idea given the current info.

As a immigrant, she can possibly claim certain benefits without jeopardizing that status, but we don't know her status.

Regardless, as a human being she can get help from charities, but it would be helpful to know where she was. Some posters might have local contacts if we knew this.

We could hazard many guesses as to what the number costing $230 is, but it would be useless without knowing for sure. All I have at the moment is that there's a woman in distress. You certainly don't need a social security number to rent an apartment. Beyond that, we need more info...

thanks fat brit. I will get in touch again. Have give her the link of this thread and told her to ask around this forum herself.

I think as far as I know she came to the US on tourist visa, then they become an illegal immigrant when the visa exspired. It is a common practice for indonesians who desperate to go inside the US. Some of my indonesian friends claimed 'asylum' during Indonesian riot in 1997 and they granted a visa to live in the US legally.

I guess this is why my friend so worry about what going to happen with her when soon to be an exhusband being deported.

Again i dunno much about the US and no idea what to do.

I do appreciate your time and your info.

NOVITA
Old Jun 16th 2005, 6:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You do not need a number to rent an apartment in the US, you do need money and being illegal will limit her choices.

Sounds like the $230 is to obtain forged documents.

If the money is in his name there is no way she can practically get hold of it without a divorce settlement.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 6:53 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by Boiler
You do not need a number to rent an apartment in the US, you do need money and being illegal will limit her choices.

Sounds like the $230 is to obtain forged documents.

If the money is in his name there is no way she can practically get hold of it without a divorce settlement.

Who knows? With the description above it could have been an asylum case, which could eventually lead to a GC. Alternatively, $230 sounds about right (without looking it up!) for an N400 -- but she left out the biometrics fee!

If it's a joint account, there's no problem. If it's a single account there's nothing but a court order that's going to release it.

We're pissin' in the wind until we get some concrete facts...
Old Jun 16th 2005, 8:06 am
semarang

Who knows? With the description above it could have been an asylum case, which could eventually lead to a GC. Alternatively, $230 sounds about right (without looking it up!) for an N400 -- but she left out the biometrics fee!

If it's a joint account, there's no problem. If it's a single account there's nothing but a court order that's going to release it.

sorry fat brit ... really did meant to piss u off. She is at work now ...

i really appreciate your help and anybody else contributing on this thread

NOVI
Old Jun 16th 2005, 8:07 am
semarang

Fatbrit ... she is in Michigan.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 9:56 am
Just Joined

bebek swiss will become famous soon enoughbebek swiss will become famous soon enough

Fatbrit ... she is in Michigan.
hi,
i'm the sister of novita's friend in michigan. she actually applied assylum and been rejected couple of times and now appealing for the federal court.....i think this is her last chance. she wanted to apply for the social security number and work permit at the beginning of the assylum process but her husband said no. her husband applied the social security and work permit only for himself because he doesn't want to spend too much money applying for her. now, the lawyer said the chance to get the work permit is very thin since she didn't apply within the time limit which is 180 days after submitting the assylum. the 230 dollars novita talking about is for applying the social security number.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 12:36 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

There's no fee to apply for a SSN. As she already has a lawyer she really needs to speak to him again as a matter of urgency. If her immigration lawyer doesn't handle divorce and family matters she needs to find one who does and can assist her with asset freezing.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 12:39 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

This website has details of lawyer offering free legal assistance to asylum seekers and is Michigan basesd...

http://www.equaljusticeworks.org/par...cprofiles4.php

Another useful one...

http://www.freedomhousedetroit.org/

Last edited by sibsie; Jun 16th 2005 at 12:42 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 1:14 pm
semarang

sorry fat brit ... really did meant to piss u off. She is at work now ...

i really appreciate your help and anybody else contributing on this thread

NOVI
Fatbrit ...

appologize ... Hubby just read this thread ... he explained about 'pissin in the wind'

Hope i did not offended you.

NOVITA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.