Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

NC Penguin - Closing the thread on my question seems a bit harsh!

Wikiposts

NC Penguin - Closing the thread on my question seems a bit harsh!

Old Apr 1st 2005, 7:47 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NC Penguin - Closing the thread on my question seems a bit harsh!

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
I won't post in any of the visa forms because of the usenet thing. Call me whatever you want, but I prefer posting where I can be cut, pasted, and linked all day, rather than somewhere that puts my posts on autopilot. (Some day, a bunch of aliens are going to get a hold of the Voyager spacecraft and find all of BE's usenet posts inside.)
There is the option, if one posts in the visa forums via BE, to check a box so your post does not appear on usenet...

NC Penguin
Old Apr 1st 2005, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond repute

Pulaski's post moved to Site Feedback.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 3:57 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
There is the option, if one posts in the visa forums via BE, to check a box so your post does not appear on usenet...
Can a BE user quote someone else's post in full (someone who had opted out of USENET) and then reply, thus effectively sending the first post to USENET? The only partial solution I could see to this would be to generate an error and appropriate reply to someone who used the Quote button function to quote an opt-out poster, but there is no way to prevent someone from cutting and pasting into a post that goes to USENET.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 5:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Can a BE user quote someone else's post in full (someone who had opted out of USENET) and then reply, thus effectively sending the first post to USENET? The only partial solution I could see to this would be to generate an error and appropriate reply to someone who used the Quote button function to quote an opt-out poster, but there is no way to prevent someone from cutting and pasting into a post that goes to USENET.
It won't prevent that from happening, but if you Opt out, it ain't being hooked into it to start with...
Old Apr 1st 2005, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond repute

Scenario A
1) The thread starter opts out of usenet.

No replies from anyone will be sent to usenet for the lifetime of that thread.

Scenario B:
1) The thread was initially connected to usenet.
2) you made a post with the 'do not send' button checked.
3) somebody responds specifically to your post by clicking the reply button.

Neither your post or the reply will go to usenet.
Responses to other posts within the thread will be sent out as usual.
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 3:51 am

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
There are actually three forums dedicated to US visa related issues. There are many BE members and the public (all three are usenet groups) knowledgeable about advance parole and many other visa related topics on those forums. Many more than in the USA forum.

It's probably worth your while to take a moment to familiarize yourself with the many British Expats forums.

Please see the descriptions below the US visa related forum titles-
http://britishexpats.com/forum/

NC Penguin

NCP, you closed my thread that was posted in the wrong place the other day too. Wouldn't it be nicer if you just moved the thread instead?
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Now, I'm with you.

Still dunno the answer. Maybe coz Americans have a bit of a hang-up over their adopted language? Touch of OCD, perhaps? No idea!
Perhaps its the effects of seeing a thousand and one (tad of exaggeration there, perhaps) misspelled words and grammar mistakes.
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 4:12 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Perhaps its the effects of seeing a thousand and one (tad of exaggeration there, perhaps) misspelled words and grammar mistakes.
Possibly. The marriage forum is interesting because it's multinational mix provides a wide variety of interesting grammatical errors. Up here, the mistakes tend to be more native, monotonous and mundane.
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 1:37 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pigtails
NCP, you closed my thread that was posted in the wrong place the other day too. Wouldn't it be nicer if you just moved the thread instead?
Don't know you well enough to know.... are you taking the piss?
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 2:27 pm
Love you Chris!

USAgirl will become famous soon enoughUSAgirl will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: NC Penguin - Closing the thread on my question seems a bit harsh!

Originally Posted by ScotsmanInTexas
You might have at least given someone the chance to respond to it. Since my question is of urgence and importance. Don't you think you are just a bit too over enthusiastic in your policing of the boards?
Dont feel rained on LOL seems as though mine has been as well

Mickie
Old Apr 4th 2005, 2:19 am

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Don't know you well enough to know.... are you taking the piss?

Not at all. I've seen other threads get moved to different forums, I just didn't understand why he couldn't have done that with my thread or the thread being mentioned in this thread......if that makes sense!
Old Apr 4th 2005, 3:07 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pigtails
Please see message 3# in this thread. This explains my actions/lack of action.

NC Penguin