Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

NBC's Olympic coverage sucks a big one

NBC's Olympic coverage sucks a big one

Old Aug 24th 2004, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NBC's Olympic coverage sucks a big one

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
I know what you mean. I keep expecting one of the announcers to say something like "We interrupt this commercial break to bring you 2 minutes of the Olympics".

LOL. After the, lack of, coverage of the Sydney Olympics, the TV guide ran the statisitics for airtime spent on commercials, sob stories and the events . I think it was something like only 10% of the Olympic airtime was spent on the actual events. There was so much protest I thought things would improve for this Olympics....silly me
Old Aug 25th 2004, 12:14 pm

cuckoofrommars is an unknown quantity at this point

I will say this tho - I watched the 1500 meters which was the last stage of the Decathlon last night. I watched it cuz BBC Online mentioned Dean Macey ran a damn good 1500. Unfortunately NBC didn't show Dean Macey at all. In fact they didn't even show the race being won - they fixed the camera on the US guy who finished 2nd overall - they didn't mention who won, or even think to say anything about it. That was dire - for the first time it really did seem that nobody else mattered, just the US guy.
Old Aug 25th 2004, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my God......Cannot believe what I heard on the radio this morning... The broadcasters were complaining that the olympics had too many foreigners and that there should just be a US olympics instead...........
Old Aug 25th 2004, 3:33 pm

cuckoofrommars is an unknown quantity at this point

You weren't by chance listening to Michael Savage were you?
Old Aug 25th 2004, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cuckoofrommars
You weren't by chance listening to Michael Savage were you?
No it was Bob & Tom...I listen to them every morning and they tell jokes by the bucketload but this was a serious comment...was a little disapointed in them. But will continue to listen every morning
Old Aug 25th 2004, 4:15 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: NBC's Olympic coverage sucks a big one

Originally Posted by Englishmum
http://davejustus.blogspot.com/2004/...-olympics.html

This is a very interesting perspective on press coverage of the olympics by an American......
On Wednesday last week our local newspaper, The News-Press, had a headline :-

"U.S. women gymnnasts flop".

Right next to the headline was a half page photo of Carly Patterson performing on the parallel bars. This was the day before she won Gold for all-around gymnast.

I wrote the Editor with the following, which they had the decency to publish :-

"I am appalled at the headline in the Aug 18 Sports section, "US women gymnasts flop". getting a silver medal in the Olympics is not a flop. This headline was an insult to the team members and belittled their hard work in getting to Athens. Taking your logic, there may as well be no silver or bronze medals at all. It is interesting that the gymnast in the accompanying photo, Carly Patterson, subsequently became the first American woman since Mary Lou Retton to win a gold medal for all-around gymnast. Some flop!"

I have frequently complained to my American wife of the bias exhibited against non-American athletes but the degradation in the media of any American athlete who does not win a gold is quite vile.
Old Aug 25th 2004, 4:41 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Oddly enough, I was walking through the living room and on the TV was Carly Patterson doing the floor exercise (how come it's mostly tumbling these days - they used to have those colourful ribbons a few years ago?). Anyway, after doing a really high tumble and she slipped onto the mat upon landing. As soon as she had completed her performance there was no comment whatsover and it went straight into an advert....and after the advert ended it was straight into beach volleyball (yawn).

On the radio yesterday afternoon Bill O'Reilly proved what a total idiot he is. His theory why the US and Australia (per head of population in Oz) has so many gold medals compared to Russia and Canada is that the US and Oz are go-getting societies which don't rely on welfare handouts so people have to work harder to achieve, even in sports.

I nearly spat my tea out.... Australia is very similar to the UK as regards to having a welfare state and they even have a term known as 'dole bludgers'. It's just the culture of the country that most Aussies are sports mad. O'Reilly really ought to do his research before opening his big mouth

(Does anyone else like that Canadian high-board diver? I think the female commentator has the hots for him, she hasn't said a single negative thing about him compared to the Chinese and Russian guys!).
Old Aug 25th 2004, 6:21 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cuckoofrommars
I will say this tho - I watched the 1500 meters which was the last stage of the Decathlon last night. I watched it cuz BBC Online mentioned Dean Macey ran a damn good 1500. Unfortunately NBC didn't show Dean Macey at all. In fact they didn't even show the race being won - they fixed the camera on the US guy who finished 2nd overall - they didn't mention who won, or even think to say anything about it. That was dire - for the first time it really did seem that nobody else mattered, just the US guy.
Yep, I saw that too.

They did actually show macey right at the end after the race had finished, all the other runners were rolling around on the track, looking like they were about to die, ol' macey was still standing tall, unlucky to get 4th again though.

Anyone see that canadian 110m hurdles take a fall on the first hurdle and proceeded to take out a russian girl. she must be gutted after all that effort getting there, then being took out by the very first hurdle.

The russians are trying to protest and want the race ran again.
Old Aug 25th 2004, 6:43 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Yosser
Anyone see that canadian 110m hurdles take a fall on the first hurdle and proceeded to take out a russian girl. she must be gutted after all that effort getting there, then being took out by the very first hurdle.

The russians are trying to protest and want the race ran again.
Yeah, but going by the semi's where that Russian girl did her personal best, she would have been out of the medals anyway. Not a nice way to go out though.
Old Aug 29th 2004, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
Funny that, the BBC coverage always featured other nations. Guess that is the difference between quality tv & yanks.
Just got back from England, and I have to say that the coverage over there was focused on the Brits...most sports they showed had Brits competing, but I thought that was to be expected that they wanted to focus on there own people.

They didn't have too many of the sob stories over there, the only one I saw was the marathon runner lady crying.
Old Aug 29th 2004, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
http://davejustus.blogspot.com/2004/...-olympics.html

This is a very interesting perspective on press coverage of the olympics by an American......
After reading this article I thought about the men's 4x100 relay race last night. I already knew of the outcome, but wanted to watch it. It was a great race, but what I thought was in poor taste was the journalist pumping the American guys who ran the race for what they did wrong. In the end he made a comment, "didn't it bother you that you lost" or something in that vein, and one of them said "of course it does" That had to have been the most insane redundant question I've heard in a while (probably since the day before! )
Old Aug 29th 2004, 6:19 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
After reading this article I thought about the men's 4x100 relay race last night. I already knew of the outcome, but wanted to watch it. It was a great race, but what I thought was in poor taste was the journalist pumping the American guys who ran the race for what they did wrong. In the end he made a comment, "didn't it bother you that you lost" or something in that vein, and one of them said "of course it does" That had to have been the most insane redundant question I've heard in a while (probably since the day before! )
I was extremely annoyed that the British winners of the 4x100 were almost totally ignored. I liked the reaction of the host earlier in the day during the cockup over unforms in the Basketball. Some of the wisecracks would have done Des Lynam proud, with contant references to a certain 'wardrobe malfuntion' at the Superbowl.
Old Aug 29th 2004, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

All the us media can say is how the US team lost the 4 x 100. Fair play to the Yank lad who said that they were beaten by a better team. Both the memsahib & I reckon the coverage has shown worse bias than a party political broadcast.
Old Aug 29th 2004, 11:58 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

:scared:
Originally Posted by dgsyd1
I'm glad to see I'm not the only person less than happy with NBC's Olympic coverage. Watching their coverage sometimes gives the impression that the only country competing is the USA. I don't mind networks in different countries being biased towards their own country, but I think NBC are taking it a little too far. It's not just the Brits who are unhappy, I was speaking with someone at work who says they're watching the Olympics one of the Canadian television channels, because they wanted to see how other countries were doing as well.

hi this is my first time using this forum and it's great!! a bunch of Britis with the exact same gripes as me!! i feel like i wrote this one myself! I have fond memories of watching the olympics as a kid but since i've been in the states I all but gave up! this year tho i've been watching and alas no improvement ! I also get the feeling that the only people competing are the U.S! And last night has to really take the cake Britain beat the U.S in the mens relay but did we see the proud Brits standing on the podium showing off their medals and listening to our National Anthem!! heck no !! what's up with that? did i pop to the kitchen and miss it? I'm glad the U.S teams are doing well but if i have to hear their Anthem one more time I'll scream!!! :scared:
Old Aug 30th 2004, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
:scared:

but if i have to hear their Anthem one more time I'll scream!!! :scared:
My mute button on my remote control is used frequently for things I don't like.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.