Reload this Page >

Naturalization Ceremony

Naturalization Ceremony

Old Dec 15th 2012, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

dolega is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Naturalization Ceremony

I have my ceremony on 12/20/2012. 3 Questions:

1) Does my US spouse need to be present at the ceremony? I cannot see on the Notice I received any need for my spouse to be there, however, I have seen other threads on this site indicating that US spouses would need to be present.

2) How long does the ceremony take? I appreciate this might vary depending on attendance, however, how long did it take in your own ceremony?

3) Will I receive my Naturalization certificate at the end of the ceremony?

Thanks for any help/guidance..
Old Dec 15th 2012, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Naturalization Ceremony

Originally Posted by dolega

1) Does my US spouse need to be present at the ceremony? I cannot see on the Notice I received any need for my spouse to be there, however, I have seen other threads on this site indicating that US spouses would need to be present.

2) How long does the ceremony take? I appreciate this might vary depending on attendance, however, how long did it take in your own ceremony?

Thanks for any help/guidance..
Don't think your spouse needs to be there and even if they were there, they would be separated from you as all applicants are seated together with other family members (if they are not being naturalized)seated behind.

Depend on how big the ceremony is and how many people. Ours was quite large as they only have a ceremony in Austin twice a year. With all the processing and standing around plus the actual ceremony we were there for 2 hrs. My son on the other hand, who was naturalized in Denver, did in less than an hour, might even have been less than 30 mins

We got our certificate at the ceremony and also registered to vote at the same time

congratulations on your naturalisation
Old Dec 15th 2012, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

1) the only person that NEEDS to be there is you. But it can be nice to have friends and family to witness what is quite a momentous occassion. Note venues vary and space may be limited.

2) depends on how many people need to be checked in ceremonial thing vary by location. Allow an hour plus time after to register to vote and update ssn record if they have tables set up. Passport usually done only at office.

3) Yes
Old Dec 15th 2012, 7:11 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Mine had 900 or so people and took about 3 hours.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 7:25 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

1) Does my US spouse need to be present at the ceremony?
No.

2) How long does the ceremony take?
About 20-30 minutes if there's fewer than 50 people being naturalized... close to 1 or 2 hours if there's more! You may also need to be there an hour or more beforehand.

Yes.

Ian
Old Dec 15th 2012, 8:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

No, your spouse doesn't need to attend. However, it's such an honorable day, most spouses (and other family and friends) enjoy attending.

Totally depends on where the oath is being held and how many people are being sworn in. My husband had his in Phoenix in 2009. The actual ceremony part took about 1/2 hour, but the whole event took about 3 hours, from start to finish (arriving at the time they specified for HIM (not for guests), and then staying afterwards to update social security and get registered to vote). We also applied for his US Passport right afterwards, at the downtown Phoenix passport office, which took another hour and a half. We barely made it to the lunch party I had arranged for him! LOL

My husband did. But I think it depends who is doing the oath ceremony, whether it's a judge or not (I'm not sure).

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Dec 15th 2012 at 8:16 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

The US government royally screwed up my Naturalization Ceremony.

When I got my certificate it wrongly stated I was Female.
They couldn't fix it on the spot, I had to make an appointment and wait for a week to get it resolved.
I was denied my new US passport which I needed for a trip to the UK while the UK passport renewal was taking three bloody months.
I had to wait four hours during my appointment.
They then suggested I had given the wrong information and tried to blame me.
Bunch of incompetents on what should have been a very happy day. Completely ruined.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Beccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the rough

Spouses do not need to be there, but it is a neat thing to watch. My husband just went through his 2 weeks ago and it was really nice to be there for him. Most people had people there with them, friends, family, etc.

The whole process was about 2 hours (including a waiting period while they set up- they did not start on time). There were 98 people in the ceremony.

Yes, you will receive your certificate. You can also have pictures taken (if your spouse or someone else goes with you).

My husband's was in Washington state and it was an amazing experience for him, and for me. They really did a great job.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

dolega is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your input. Your help as well these past years have been invaluable.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 2:39 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Time for the ceremony also depends on how many VIPs will be giving speeches to congratulate the new citizens.

Regards, JEff

1) ....

3) ...
Originally Posted by ian-mstm
About 20-30 minutes if there's fewer than 50 people being naturalized... close to 1 or 2 hours if there's more! You may also need to be there an hour or more beforehand.
Originally Posted by Noorah101
Totally depends on where the oath is being held and how many people are being sworn in.