Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Natural Disaster Rankings of 50 US Cities

Natural Disaster Rankings of 50 US Cities

Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:54 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Natural Disaster Rankings of 50 US Cities

Originally Posted by LMUK
If I remember my Discovery programme correctly - there's a massive fault called the Cascadia just off the Oregon and Washington coast that doesn't go off very often but when it does its likely to be big and cause a Tsunami.

Trouble is its so close to land there isn't much time to get away after you've recovered from the earthquake itself.

I know there's Tsunami warning systems on the Oregon coast and Oregon State Uni has a Tsunami reseach center with a fancy wave pool.

Yes, I only skimmed that article, but thats the gist of it I think - ie local stuff. For some reason I always associate Tsunamis with the long transpacific stuff, which is wrong - maybe its the name.

Apparently one of the other places at massive risk is Portugal - theres a chunk of undersea mountain due to fall off the edge of the canaries (or somewhere out there) and they reckon its so close, and the Portuguese coast so vulnerable that it'll be really nasty if when it does happen. Its supposed to be likely to happen "soon" although in geological terms I guess that could be 50,000 years off!! Stilll, not buying a holiday home there just in case
Old Aug 7th 2006, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

cinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Yes, I only skimmed that article, but thats the gist of it I think - ie local stuff. For some reason I always associate Tsunamis with the long transpacific stuff, which is wrong - maybe its the name.

Apparently one of the other places at massive risk is Portugal - theres a chunk of undersea mountain due to fall off the edge of the canaries (or somewhere out there) and they reckon its so close, and the Portuguese coast so vulnerable that it'll be really nasty if when it does happen. Its supposed to be likely to happen "soon" although in geological terms I guess that could be 50,000 years off!! Stilll, not buying a holiday home there just in case
Is that what happened to Atlantis then? It used to be a sort of additional Portugal, which fell off Spain during an earthquake, and all that's left is the Canaries, or the Azores.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 6:17 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm just glad that we're not right on top of that san andreas fault.....
Old Aug 7th 2006, 6:23 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i'm just glad that we're not right on top of that san andreas fault.....
Well, we're on the Balcones Fault, but I think Austin's surprisingly high ranking is from tornadoes -- either from being at the southern end of the Great Plains, or tornadoes spawned by Gulf hurricanes and cold fronts meeting the Gulf air.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Well, we're on the Balcones Fault, but I think Austin's surprisingly high ranking is from tornadoes -- either from being at the southern end of the Great Plains, or tornadoes spawned by Gulf hurricanes and cold fronts meeting the Gulf air.
interesting i've just looked up the balcones fault zone and it's in one of the lowest risk zones for earthquakes in the united states, so good on that score......
Old Aug 7th 2006, 7:54 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad

Actialy La Palma (Canary Islands) is off the western coast of Africa, not Portugal. The show I watched on Discovery(?) showed that it could be one of the worst tsunamis ever- but for North and South America/s eastern coasts, with waves up to 500 feet high hitting.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ironporer
Actialy La Palma .
lol and how many did you sink at lunchtime today
Old Aug 8th 2006, 12:44 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
Actialy La Palma (Canary Islands) is off the western coast of Africa, not Portugal. The show I watched on Discovery(?) showed that it could be one of the worst tsunamis ever- but for North and South America/s eastern coasts, with waves up to 500 feet high hitting.

Yeah, they are, but the tsunami will go out in all directions from the point of the collapse, and the landfall in the canaries will be so swift that warning/evacuation will be virtually impossible. Couple that with the cliff nature of much of the portuguese coast, and its gonna be a pounding. Or that was the gist of the article I read anyway...