Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

National Insurance Number -UK Please help!

National Insurance Number -UK Please help!

Old Aug 27th 2008, 7:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: National Insurance Number -UK Please help!

Originally Posted by milan79
Hello to all of you! :-)
Your answers are very helpfull, so are you saying that credit is build on your name and home address? But don't people have same names sometimes? what if you are moving ? And if you are renting a room and utility is included how would you proove the utility bill if it not might be even in your name? How could you get a student loan? Thank you again
Use a copy of the lease then...

It's hardly rocket science to show proof of address.

What helps in the UK, paying bills on time will boost your credit rating unlike in the US, but like the US, being late will ding it, so it'll be easier to get a start.

As for student loan, go to any bank and ask for a student loan with proof that you've been accepted at a place....you won't be eligble for the government student loan through the student loans company though.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

adjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Ian
Well, is it against the law to work in another country while you are PR in the USA? As long as I come every 6 months for few days, will I still loose my GC?
Old Aug 27th 2008, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Ian
Well, is it against the law to work in another country while you are PR in the USA? As long as I come every 6 months for few days, will I still loose my GC?
As a Perm. Resident, you are expected to live here permanently. That's the whole reason for someone to gain PR status. If you plan on living outside the US for a period of longer than 1 yr or so, then you need to get a re-entry permit which will allow you to remain outside the US for up to 2 years (I think). I have no idea if these are renewable, so after 2 years you may be expected to come back to the US. If you don't, you're PR status is considered abandoned and you would have to start the visa process all over again to come back to the US. If you're not physically living in the US, eventually your PR status is revoked, as far as I know.

But why bother with the I-751 if you plan on moving to Britain and staying there? Seems a waste of time and money. Not to mention, if you try to maintain your PR status, you run the risk of having to pay US taxes even though you live abroad. Remember, a PR has to report all worldwide income, no matter where they live. So depending on how much money you make, you could wind up owing money to the US, if you try to keep your PR status.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Aug 27th 2008 at 7:49 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:43 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

also.

it wouldn't be worth the hassle of lending someone money if there is a chance that they're gonna do a runner back to the USA.

I'm not saying you would.......... but if I were a loan officer I'd stay WELL clear of that possibility
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

adjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond repute

Why would I have to own money to the US if I won't be working here? Doesn't make any sense to me, so let's say you go back to your own country because someone is ill in your familly and you will be there for 6 months , who cares if you going to work over there? I mean I know you can be out of USA without loosing your GC up to one year. After that you need the re-entry permit. Am I wrong?
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Why would I have to own money to the US if I won't be working here? Doesn't make any sense to me, so let's say you go back to your own country because someone is ill in your familly and you will be there for 6 months , who cares if you going to work over there? I mean I know you can be out of USA without loosing your GC up to one year. After that you need the re-entry permit. Am I wrong?
You are sadly wrong. A privilege of being a Perm Resident is that you have to no choice but to file US taxes every year, no matter where you live, or what monetary denomination you are paid in, or where the company is located. That being said, you may or may not owe taxes to the US on any money earned overseas, depending on any tax treaties in place between the US and the other country. For example, if you earn more than (I think) $85k in the UK, you may need to actually pay taxes to the US government even though you've paid taxes to the UK gov't. Is this fair? No, but it's US law.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Ok, I didn't know that. But I won't be making 85k in the UK ha ha wish I could. Thank you for your information.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I didn't know that. But I won't be making 85k in the UK ha ha wish I could. Thank you for your information.
You still have to file a tax return though.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
You still have to file a tax return though.
and filing taxes is a good indicator that you aren't abandoning your US permanent residence...