Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Naperville, IL - Soccer

Naperville, IL - Soccer

Old Mar 25th 2010, 12:00 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Naperville, IL - Soccer

Hi,

I'm relocating to Naperville in May - anyone else in the area? Specifically looking to join a soccer league, nothing serious just looking for weekly game to keep the mid-west lifestyle from collecting around my waist! Any recommendations?

Cheers,
Rob
Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

RalphJolly is a jewel in the roughRalphJolly is a jewel in the roughRalphJolly is a jewel in the roughRalphJolly is a jewel in the roughRalphJolly is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Naperville, IL - Soccer

I live nearby in Downers Grove and I'm afraid this isn't going to be the most helpful post. But anyway.
A friend of mine advised me a few years ago to give football a miss in the US. They see it as a non-contact sport over here so if you even get slightly physical then people get upset. Really upset in his experiences.
Also, very disappointed by the use of the word soccer. Tried not to make the comment but couldn't help myself...
Maybe the next poster will be more helpful. You never know.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:47 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RalphJolly
I live nearby in Downers Grove and I'm afraid this isn't going to be the most helpful post. But anyway.
A friend of mine advised me a few years ago to give football a miss in the US. They see it as a non-contact sport over here so if you even get slightly physical then people get upset. Really upset in his experiences.
Also, very disappointed by the use of the word soccer. Tried not to make the comment but couldn't help myself...
Maybe the next poster will be more helpful. You never know.
I know I know it pains me to use soccer but having been in North America for about 5 yrs now I'm used to it....

How do you like Downers Grove? Our office is based there, looked at a couple of houses in the area but Naperville seems to have more parks & green spaces.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I find it very hard to believe that you can't find a league being that close to Chicago and the comment about giving up on playing. I've found it very easy to find leagues and the standard and physicality is much higher than any of the rec leagues I've seen in the UK.

15 seconds on google turned this up
http://www.playersindoor.com/indoor-soccer/adults

Just call any rec center or sports complex and they will usually have leagues or know of places that do. Even post an ad in the forums on bigsoccer.com for players/teams, we picked up a few quality people doing taht.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 4:26 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I find it very hard to believe that you can't find a league being that close to Chicago and the comment about giving up on playing. I've found it very easy to find leagues and the standard and physicality is much higher than any of the rec leagues I've seen in the UK.

15 seconds on google turned this up
http://www.playersindoor.com/indoor-soccer/adults

Just call any rec center or sports complex and they will usually have leagues or know of places that do. Even post an ad in the forums on bigsoccer.com for players/teams, we picked up a few quality people doing taht.
Yep, plenty of indoor leagues, even up here in the far northern 'burbs. I've been looking into joining one myself if I can get into reasonable shape.

Not sure where the idea of the non-contact sport came from though, I coach my son's U12 AYSO team, and there is plenty of contact. Luckily there are also refs that are smart enough to let play continue when there was intent to go for the ball. Just got done with indoor - our games certainly couldn't be described as non contact! Bloody hell though, there's a lot of good players in the U12 boys divisions up my way. I'm so happy my adopted son (US born) likes a proper game of footy