Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Naming child on OF-230 Pt1

Naming child on OF-230 Pt1

Old Aug 15th 2002, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

grajan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Naming child on OF-230 Pt1

Queery about question 14B on the OF-230 part1. I am filing this in the UK... with reference to a K1 to the USA.

My daughter is 16 and will not be accompanying me to the USA. But I do want her to be able to come along if she decides to at a later date.... so....

Q 14B is ... Person(s) named in 12 and 13 (i.e. my daughter) who will follow me to the United States at a later date.

My question is does this mean DEFINITELY follow me, or MAY follow me... in other words do I list her there or not?

I understand that if she were to follow in say 2 years, then she would have to file a new petition at that time...

Thanks again...

grajan
Old Aug 16th 2002, 7:56 am
Mrtravel

Default Re: Naming child on OF-230 Pt1

Put her down as will follow if you are not sure. They aren't going to punish you if
she doesn't come.

Old Aug 16th 2002, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

grajan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mrtravel:
Put her down as will follow if you are not sure. They aren't going to punish you if
she doesn't come.
Thank you mrtravel.... the US consulate help line said the same thing today. They did say however that if she was to file seperately later it could take 'several years' !... But the guy was confusing me rather, he seemed to be saying that it would not be that long if I did enter her on the K1 forms and she filed later... is this true?

He also said that if she were to file later then it would not matter how old she was (over 21) so long as she was single... this is the first time I have heard that said too?

He said that if it was part of the Fiance Visa application then it would be quicker?... but surely if she was on the faincee application then she would be travelling with me... not just 'quicker'?

So now I am wondering just how difficult it will be to get my daughter over to the US later if she changes her mind.

I will put her down as travelling later as you suggest... it may speed things along later too.

grajan
Old Aug 16th 2002, 11:45 pm
Mrtravel

grajan wrote:
    > Originally posted by Mrtravel:
    > > Put her down as will follow if you are not sure. They aren't going to punish you
    > > if she doesn't come.
    > >
    > Thank you mrtravel.... the US consulate help line said the same thing today. They
    > did say however that if she was to file seperately later it could take 'several
    > years' !... But the guy was confusing me rather, he seemed to be saying that it
    > would not be that long if I did enter her on the K1 forms and she filed later... is
    > this true?

If she came within 12 months of you, it can be done quickly. The other option would
be for the USC step parent to file I-130 for the child as an immediate relative. The
the child could enter as a permanent resident. Consitions would be removed when the
parent's conditions are removed.

> He also said that if she were to file later then it would not matter how old she
    > was (over 21) so long as she was single... this is the first time I have heard that
    > said too?

That is not a true statement. You only have 12 months to follow as a k-2.

> He said that if it was part of the Fiance Visa application then it would be
    > quicker?... but surely if she was on the faincee application then she would be
    > travelling with me... not just 'quicker'?

No, if she can wait for up to 12 months after you to follow.

> So now I am wondering just how difficult it will be to get my daughter over to the
    > US later if she changes her mind.

That depends on her age, and how long after she is traveling. And, of course, your
current status.