Reload this Page >

my US Visa and ancient criminal convictions

my US Visa and ancient criminal convictions

Old Sep 23rd 2002, 2:21 am
Just Joined

malcolm_mrt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default my US Visa and ancient criminal convictions

hello
I am British and married to an American Citizen, we got married in the USA last year, my wife and stepson came back with me to live with me in the UK, she got a Visa to
settle in the UK.

My wife got upset and decided to go home in December 2001, the events of 9/11 didnt help, and she finaly went back in march 2002, and then she put in for an I-130 Visa, then the K3 shortly afterwards, She just has had the "notice of approval" for the K3, which also stated paperwork gone to London.

When i was 15 I got arrested and taken to Juvenile Court,
there were 8 things I got convicted for,
I got a Technical Care Order imposed for 3 years for the 1st offence, but stayed living with my parents. and the others according to my Police Criminal Record which I just obtained have "sentance accumulated" next to them.

I shortly after the court appearance went to college, then started work and after 18 months the Care order was removed.

I put it behind me and thought it was gone as a juvenile court thing.

Anyway this was 21 years ago, and was ancienty history as far as I was concerend, but reading up on the Visa denial bits on the INS site.
I am worried now wheither I can get a US Visa.
cany anybody advise?

regards malcolm
Old Sep 23rd 2002, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

Harry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: my US Visa and ancient criminal convictions

Malcolm,
I'm no expert at this so please disregard anything I say...hehe...but anyway, as far as I know, I think you're in luck because you were only 15 when you were arrested. I can't remember whether it is 16 or 18, but if it happened before then I think you're ok.
Like I said, I'm not absolutely sure about this.
If I was you, I'd just call the embassy and explain the situation and see what they say.

Anyway, best of luck,

-Harry
Old Sep 23rd 2002, 3:13 am
Just Joined

hello Harry
one conviction yes, but I have eight of the buggers on my PR.
the only thing I think that is in my favour is that I was 15 at the time, and they were 21 years ago, and I HAVE been rehabilitated.
regards malcolm

PS pardon spelling

Originally posted by Harry:
Malcolm,
I'm no expert at this so please disregard anything I say...hehe...but anyway, as far as I know, I think you're in luck because you were only 15 when you were arrested. I can't remember whether it is 16 or 18, but if it happened before then I think you're ok.
Like I said, I'm not absolutely sure about this.
If I was you, I'd just call the embassy and explain the situation and see what they say.

Anyway, best of luck,

-Harry
Old Sep 23rd 2002, 4:48 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by malcolm_mrt:
hello
I am British and married to an American Citizen, we got married in the USA last year, my wife and stepson came back with me to live with me in the UK, she got a Visa to
settle in the UK.

My wife got upset and decided to go home in December 2001, the events of 9/11 didnt help, and she finaly went back in march 2002, and then she put in for an I-130 Visa, then the K3 shortly afterwards, She just has had the "notice of approval" for the K3, which also stated paperwork gone to London.

When i was 15 I got arrested and taken to Juvenile Court,
there were 8 things I got convicted for,
I got a Technical Care Order imposed for 3 years for the 1st offence, but stayed living with my parents. and the others according to my Police Criminal Record which I just obtained have "sentance accumulated" next to them.

I shortly after the court appearance went to college, then started work and after 18 months the Care order was removed.

I put it behind me and thought it was gone as a juvenile court thing.

Anyway this was 21 years ago, and was ancienty history as far as I was concerend, but reading up on the Visa denial bits on the INS site.
I am worried now wheither I can get a US Visa.
cany anybody advise?

regards malcolm
Hi:

I'm an immigration lawyer practicing in Los Angeles. I would recommend quite strongly that you consult personally with an attorney experienced in US immigration law with copies of your records in hand.

Forturnately, there are several "AILA" lawyers in London -- personally, I'd recommend Kehrla Hodkinson.
Old Sep 23rd 2002, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the advice

Originally posted by Folinskyinla:

Hi:

I'm an immigration lawyer practicing in Los Angeles. I would recommend quite strongly that you consult personally with an attorney experienced in US immigration law with copies of your records in hand.

Forturnately, there are several "AILA" lawyers in London -- personally, I'd recommend Kehrla Hodkinson.