British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   My US passport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/my-us-passport-882514/)

robin1234 Aug 29th 2016 11:57 pm

My US passport

I applied for my US passport renewal about ten days ago, expedited. I got it back already, which was quick. My old passport was due to expire November 26, 2016. My new passport will expire August 23, 2026. I thought they added the unexpired time left on the old passport to the validity of the new passport?

Pulaski Aug 30th 2016 12:49 am

Re: My US passport

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12038515)
I applied for my US passport renewal about ten days ago, expedited. I got it back already, which was quick. My old passport was due to expire November 26, 2016. My new passport will expire August 23, 2026. I thought they added the unexpired time left on the old passport to the validity of the new passport?

They do for British passports, but I don't know that they do that for US passports - Mrs P thinks not.

Noorah101 Aug 30th 2016 1:07 am

I'm USC, and I don't think they do that.

Rene

WEBlue Aug 30th 2016 1:11 am

I agree, 10 years is all you get. I bet it's a matter of: not a day more, not a day less....

SanDiegogirl Aug 30th 2016 1:16 am

No they do not...... I too renewed my US passport (which had 6 months remaining on it) and the new passport came back in line with the date I applied for it i.e they ignored the 6 months remaining on the old one.

With most airlines and countries now looking for up to 6 months on passports for people flying to and entering their countries, looks like that last 6 months of your old passport is not usable.

Pulaski Aug 30th 2016 1:20 am

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12038547)
...... With most airlines and countries now looking for up to 6 months on passports for people flying to and entering their countries, looks like that last 6 months of your old passport is not usable.

That's another advantage of having two passports, so long as they have expiry dates at least six months apart.

robin1234 Aug 30th 2016 1:35 am

Thanks guys.

I renewed my British one a few months ago, so I was beginning to think I must have got confused between the two sets of rules.

It seems like giving you the unexpired time is a good policy, since it might encourage people to apply early and keep things running smoothly.

I now realise that mine came back by return of post, I mailed it in on the 20th and they issued it the 23rd. I certainly didn't need to have paid the expedited service, but I was nervous about being without a valid US passport for (potentially) as long as six weeks.

robin1234 Aug 30th 2016 1:43 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12038549)
That's another advantage of having two passports, so long as they have expiry dates at least six months apart.

Two occasions in the last couple of years I was glad I was carrying two passports. About eighteen months ago, I arrived at Heathrow with my old British passport. He didn't like the picture in my British passport, so I was able to show him my US as backup.

Then, flying from Heathrow to Canada two weeks ago, at checkin she was unimpressed by my US passport only having three months validity left (even after I told her I was planning on staying just three hours in Canada.) I was able to show her my British passport.

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 30th 2016 4:26 am

This will be the first time I have applied for my renewal while outside the US, but for Canada its the same as renewing as if in the US, but never thought about it until now that I will be stuck in Canada until the new one is returned.

What a pain.

AdobePinon Aug 30th 2016 5:14 am

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12038558)
About eighteen months ago, I arrived at Heathrow with my old British passport. He didn't like the picture in my British passport

And what did he think he was going to do about it?

robin1234 Aug 30th 2016 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by AdobePinon (Post 12038615)
And what did he think he was going to do about it?

He demanded an additional picture ID. If I hadn't had the U.S. passport, I expect my NY drivers licence would have served.

mrken30 Aug 30th 2016 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12038558)
He didn't like the picture in my British passport, so I was able to show him my US as backup.

Nobody ever likes their own passport photo, I didn't know they judged peoples passport photos now when entering the UK.

MarylandNed Aug 31st 2016 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12038547)
With most airlines and countries now looking for up to 6 months on passports for people flying to and entering their countries, looks like that last 6 months of your old passport is not usable.

Actually most countries do NOT require 6 months remaining on a passport. There's a list here:

Six Months Validity Rule - What is the 6 Months Validity Rule