Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

My US passport

My US passport

Old Aug 29th 2016, 11:57 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default My US passport

I applied for my US passport renewal about ten days ago, expedited. I got it back already, which was quick. My old passport was due to expire November 26, 2016. My new passport will expire August 23, 2026. I thought they added the unexpired time left on the old passport to the validity of the new passport?
Old Aug 30th 2016, 12:49 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My US passport

Originally Posted by robin1234
I applied for my US passport renewal about ten days ago, expedited. I got it back already, which was quick. My old passport was due to expire November 26, 2016. My new passport will expire August 23, 2026. I thought they added the unexpired time left on the old passport to the validity of the new passport?
They do for British passports, but I don't know that they do that for US passports - Mrs P thinks not.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 1:07 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm USC, and I don't think they do that.

Rene
Old Aug 30th 2016, 1:11 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, 10 years is all you get. I bet it's a matter of: not a day more, not a day less....
Old Aug 30th 2016, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

No they do not...... I too renewed my US passport (which had 6 months remaining on it) and the new passport came back in line with the date I applied for it i.e they ignored the 6 months remaining on the old one.

With most airlines and countries now looking for up to 6 months on passports for people flying to and entering their countries, looks like that last 6 months of your old passport is not usable.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 1:20 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
...... With most airlines and countries now looking for up to 6 months on passports for people flying to and entering their countries, looks like that last 6 months of your old passport is not usable.
That's another advantage of having two passports, so long as they have expiry dates at least six months apart.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 1:35 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys.

I renewed my British one a few months ago, so I was beginning to think I must have got confused between the two sets of rules.

It seems like giving you the unexpired time is a good policy, since it might encourage people to apply early and keep things running smoothly.

I now realise that mine came back by return of post, I mailed it in on the 20th and they issued it the 23rd. I certainly didn't need to have paid the expedited service, but I was nervous about being without a valid US passport for (potentially) as long as six weeks.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 1:43 am
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That's another advantage of having two passports, so long as they have expiry dates at least six months apart.
Two occasions in the last couple of years I was glad I was carrying two passports. About eighteen months ago, I arrived at Heathrow with my old British passport. He didn't like the picture in my British passport, so I was able to show him my US as backup.

Then, flying from Heathrow to Canada two weeks ago, at checkin she was unimpressed by my US passport only having three months validity left (even after I told her I was planning on staying just three hours in Canada.) I was able to show her my British passport.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 4:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

This will be the first time I have applied for my renewal while outside the US, but for Canada its the same as renewing as if in the US, but never thought about it until now that I will be stuck in Canada until the new one is returned.

What a pain.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 5:14 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

About eighteen months ago, I arrived at Heathrow with my old British passport. He didn't like the picture in my British passport
And what did he think he was going to do about it?
Old Aug 30th 2016, 12:15 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
And what did he think he was going to do about it?
He demanded an additional picture ID. If I hadn't had the U.S. passport, I expect my NY drivers licence would have served.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

He didn't like the picture in my British passport, so I was able to show him my US as backup.
Nobody ever likes their own passport photo, I didn't know they judged peoples passport photos now when entering the UK.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
With most airlines and countries now looking for up to 6 months on passports for people flying to and entering their countries, looks like that last 6 months of your old passport is not usable.
Actually most countries do NOT require 6 months remaining on a passport. There's a list here:

Six Months Validity Rule - What is the 6 Months Validity Rule