Reload this Page >

My Move to NJ... a few tips

My Move to NJ... a few tips

Old Jan 14th 2015, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

ShanksUSA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My Move to NJ... a few tips

Hi All,

In Dec 14' I moved over to Hoboken NJ to work for the US arm of my employer - it has been an interesting move and I just wanted to share a few things that have made my life easier... it might not work for all however!

My relocation was over a year in the making from when the idea was proposed to when I officially set foot here - if there are others that may be starting a similar journey and it could take a similar amount of time, I would advise the following;

- Get a UK American Express: Once you have had for 12 months, you can speak to the Global Transfers Team and have them switch things over to the US. You will need a SSN, Address in US and a Landline but it's a lot easier than trying to get a regular card. I have just done this and opened a AMEX Credit Card and they offered a very good credit limit straight off the bat.

- Open CitiBank Account (or Similar) - CitiBank were extremely helpful and the advantage is that you can open a USD account while in the UK, you can then link your Debit Card to this account when you are first in the US to avoid any fees. I then popped down to my local CitiBank and they opened me Checking Account and printed me a debit card there and then! You can then transfer GBP into USD in your UK account then wire it to your US account really quickly if you need to transfer funds.

The next most important thing in my opinion is a Utility Bill, I was fortunate in that the apartment I was moving into was empty so I could have the Cable guys (Optimum) come in and install cable/internet/phone before my arrival (landlord allowed them access) this meant that 2-3 weeks after I arrived I had a Utility Bill in my name - this combined with my CitiBank ATM card, Apartment Lease agreement and US visa, meant I could get my SSN. This arrived within 6 days and then using the same documents I could get my NJ driving licence.

All in all, after around 1 month I have pretty much all I need to survive in the US.

I realise this will differ from state to state, but hopefully it will be of use to some of you.

Thanks
Old Jan 14th 2015, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Move to NJ... a few tips

Originally Posted by ShanksUSA
I have pretty much all I need to survive in the US.

Did you get a car?
Old Jan 14th 2015, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

In the process of getting one with IAS, will collect next week
Old Jan 14th 2015, 6:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You have a "local Citibank"? Across most of the US they are like hens' teeth.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You have a "local Citibank"? Across most of the US they are like hens' teeth.
They're quite popular in NYC (and by extension, Hoboken, NJ). I'm also with Citibank.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 6:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlphaTangoMike
They're quite popular in NYC (and by extension, Hoboken, NJ). I'm also with Citibank.
Right. I used to live in NY myself, but Citibank is nowhere near as big (branch network) as many people imagine. I looked for a branch in Tampa, FL a couple of years ago, but despite there being a big Citibank office down there, I couldn't find one. Same here in the Charlotte NC area: an office in SC just across the state line, but no branches in either stage that I know of.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

Understood - for those based in the UK that are looking to head out to NYC it would work very well though
Old Jan 15th 2015, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Right. I used to live in NY myself, but Citibank is nowhere near as big (branch network) as many people imagine. I looked for a branch in Tampa, FL a couple of years ago, but despite there being a big Citibank office down there, I couldn't find one. Same here in the Charlotte NC area: an office in SC just across the state line, but no branches in either stage that I know of.
Yes, their branch network is quite limited. 7-11 stores have their ATM's though, so you can still get cash without charges (around the country). I don't have much reason to go into bank branches nowadays. (Fortunately). I can't wait for people to lose their fixation with 'checks' and then insisting on using a fax machine to send proof of payment. (What is this, 1970 > I'll leave this for the pet peeves thread).