Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

My food rant

My food rant

Old May 20th 2005, 6:29 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default My food rant

Just have to get this off my chest.

1) Crisps! Lays? Lay off! Give me my Walkers back. Pringles aren't the same here either - they're much thinner and less satisfying.

2) Bread. How much?? How crap??

3) Sausages. Pork and leek, Cumberland, Lincolnshire... all a thing of the past. Wtf are links? Do they actually have any meat content at all? I suppose it's all well and good if you like Italian spicy sausage and frankfurters.

4) Where are the baby new potatoes? What am I supposed to serve with quiche?

5) I'm really going to have to start making my own quiche, aren't I?

6) Pate. That's with an accent, not in the bald head sense. I wanna live near France again. MWAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

7) Cheese. How many different ways are there to grate Monterey Jack anyway? And if I wanted cheese that you can squirt out of a bottle, I'd just let my milk sit in the sun for a few hours. Thank you.

8) Rice. I want to make my own risotto thank you. With fresh ingredients. Not add water to your processed crap. Now give me some risotto rice. And while I'm on the subject, basmati is the best. No question. Can I have some please?

9) Ice cream for cats? This is some kind of joke, right? Why not just sell tins of cat food with "freeze" as the serving suggestion? Ah yes... because you couldn't sell them for $5 a go.

10) Wine boxes. That's wine in a box. Not that I don't like Hardy's, but I'm used to having a choice, if you see what I mean.

11) Cakes. Get rid of the gooey cack. And a lighter hand with the food colourings would go down well too. Apart from the cheesecake - keep up the good work in that arena.

12) Where are the choccie biccies? I want my Penguins and Breakaways and Wagon Wheels. There's only so many different kinds of cookie you can market before it starts to get very repetitive.

13) Betty Crocker does not rule the world. It is possible to make your own frosting.

14) Meat. Enough said, really. Particularly on the lamb front. I never saw fat on chicken breasts before so cutting it off was a new experience for me. Thank you.
Old May 20th 2005, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Ruslan124 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: My food rant

Originally Posted by Wintersong

1) Crisps! Lays? Lay off! Give me my Walkers back. Pringles aren't the same here either - they're much thinner and less satisfying.

3) Sausages. Pork and leek, Cumberland, Lincolnshire... all a thing of the past. Wtf are links? Do they actually have any meat content at all? I suppose it's all well and good if you like Italian spicy sausage and frankfurters.

6) Pate. That's with an accent, not in the bald head sense. I wanna live near France again. MWAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

7) Cheese. How many different ways are there to grate Monterey Jack anyway? And if I wanted cheese that you can squirt out of a bottle, I'd just let my milk sit in the sun for a few hours. Thank you.

8) Rice. I want to make my own risotto thank you. With fresh ingredients. Not add water to your processed crap. Now give me some risotto rice. And while I'm on the subject, basmati is the best. No question. Can I have some please?

9) Ice cream for cats? This is some kind of joke, right? Why not just sell tins of cat food with "freeze" as the serving suggestion? Ah yes... because you couldn't sell them for $5 a go.

10) Wine boxes. That's wine in a box. Not that I don't like Hardy's, but I'm used to having a choice, if you see what I mean.

11) Cakes. Get rid of the gooey cack. And a lighter hand with the food colourings would go down well too. Apart from the cheesecake - keep up the good work in that arena.

12) Where are the choccie biccies? I want my Penguins and Breakaways and Wagon Wheels. There's only so many different kinds of cookie you can market before it starts to get very repetitive.

13) Betty Crocker does not rule the world. It is possible to make your own frosting.

14) Meat. Enough said, really. Particularly on the lamb front. I never saw fat on chicken breasts before so cutting it off was a new experience for me. Thank you.
Brilliant, best laugh of the day.
Old May 20th 2005, 6:36 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong

just to let you know.

you do live in a foreign country.
Old May 20th 2005, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you on most of what you wrote. However, I like the beef here better.
Old May 20th 2005, 6:42 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
just to let you know.

you do live in a foreign country.
Shit! How the f**k did that happen?
Old May 20th 2005, 6:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There are baby spuds, not the same though...

Cheese, sausages and bread, if you want decent, it does suck, but can be found for a price at various health type co-ops, well around here, but it's not cheap.
Same with the rice and other fresh ingredients....all at the co-op...does bug me when you can't get the stuff at the supermarket....but on the plus, prawns are cheap here
Old May 20th 2005, 6:50 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Ice Cream for cats......OMG :scared:
Old May 20th 2005, 7:00 pm
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Two words, Trader Joes!
Old May 20th 2005, 7:04 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bored-silly
Two words, Trader Joes!
Absolutely.... much of what you're talking about can be found here in Austin.... pates, risotto rice, etc. -- even Cumberland sausages. I can buy Penguins but they don't last long at my house. A local bakery should be able to get you a crusty loaf, but no, it's not convenient and you'll have to pay more.

The Walkers you'd have to mail order, but at least crisps don't weigh very much
Old May 20th 2005, 7:06 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Publix sells some great whole grain bread, found in the breakfast refrigerator. But you pay 4.69 to 4.99 a loaf! :scared: :scared: My one kid alone will eat a loaf a day! (teenager)

In S.A., every corner shop has a bakery that churns out fresh Portuguese bread rolls every hour or so. The thing I miss most about the place is the bread
Old May 20th 2005, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

I seem to have a fond childhood memory of putting sausages in the oven and cooking them until the skin goes crispy, leaking juices that turn to bronzed goo on the pan. More and more I'm growing suspicious of these memories, Blade Runner-style.

Last week, in Trader Joes, I found real sausages. The usual happy-hippy packaging, but real sausages none the less, made with pork, not chicken, or turkey, or mushroom rerived reconstituted proteins. I rushed home, tore open the pack, and was instantly hit with that salty, smokey smell...sure enough, they're pre-boiled, Frankfurter-style shite!

I know you feel my pain.
Old May 20th 2005, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Two words, Trader Joes!
Trader Joes is great if you're a hippy. The one thing that pisses me off about TJ's, is that when I go there to get some lunch, they never have the express lane open, despite the fact that it's lunch time and plenty of people are in there buying lunch. So I have to queue behind Old rich folks or organic food munching hippy looking people, buying their entire months worth of food while all I have is some Beef Flautas and a drink.
Old May 20th 2005, 7:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Two words, Trader Joes!
you know your living in a state that isn't cared about as half these stores you guys ever mention like trader joes don't exist here *lol*
Old May 20th 2005, 7:26 pm
ImHere

Aargh Ive just been listening to BBC Radio 2 on the internet while working and Johnnie Walker couldnt make up his mind whether to have an Indian or Chinese takeout for tea as he fancied a curry but also had a hankering for some crispy fried duck and hoi sin sauce.....now I cant stop thinking about both of them!! I would kill for a decent Chinese take out.

Old May 20th 2005, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
you know your living in a state that isn't cared about as half these stores you guys ever mention like trader joes don't exist here *lol*
I'm starting to think that everybody still travels by Horseback and sends telegrams where you live Bob.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.