Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Multiregion Portable DVD players

Multiregion Portable DVD players

Old Aug 15th 2005, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold
Default Multiregion Portable DVD players

I know there have been many threads about DVD players that'll play UK discs. But do any of you have one of those portable DVD players - you know, the ones with the 7-10 inch screen attached, that will play region2 discs?

Any ideas?
Old Aug 15th 2005, 4:57 am
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Multiregion Portable DVD players

Originally Posted by Pharrya
I know there have been many threads about DVD players that'll play UK discs. But do any of you have one of those portable DVD players - you know, the ones with the 7-10 inch screen attached, that will play region2 discs?

Any ideas?
I am hoping to get many of the above to fit into my
car in the next few weeks. I *think* its going to be $100
more for multi region.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 2:23 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Any ideas?
Don't know for sure, but my Sunday paper carried a report of a portable DVD player from Cyber Home, a company that has appeared on these threads several times as being hack-able. YOu might try a Google to find this model, and then search the hack sites to see if there's a hack for it.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 4:04 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Any ideas?
I don't know if it's the case any more but when I bought one 4 years ago I had to get one from the UK. The reason being that the screens on the US models were NTSC only and could not play PAL (whereas PAL can always cope with NTSC), so even if you had one converted to multi region you could only watch region 2 discs if you plugged it into a compatible TV which sort of defeated the point.

Times have moved on so it might not be the same now.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 7:58 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

I know of two: CyberHome and Polaroid.
Sorry I don't have the model #s.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

There are a bunch here http://www.hkflix.com/hardware/ ranging from $100-$1000.
Old Aug 28th 2005, 4:44 am
Just Joined

ToujoursDan is an unknown quantity at this point

Also look on Ebay using keyword Region Free Dvd Player.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...e=search&fgtp=

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
There are a bunch here http://www.hkflix.com/hardware/ ranging from $100-$1000.
Old Aug 28th 2005, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
I don't know if it's the case any more but when I bought one 4 years ago I had to get one from the UK. The reason being that the screens on the US models were NTSC only and could not play PAL (whereas PAL can always cope with NTSC), so even if you had one converted to multi region you could only watch region 2 discs if you plugged it into a compatible TV which sort of defeated the point.

Times have moved on so it might not be the same now.

This shouldn't be an issue here - firstly its for the car so not going to be hooked up to TV. Secondly if its bought in the US from what you are saying (NTSC) it will work in US and UK - if you buy in UK it will only work in UK???

Anyway the PAL NTSC should no longer be an issue
Old Aug 28th 2005, 4:23 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
This shouldn't be an issue here - firstly its for the car so not going to be hooked up to TV. Secondly if its bought in the US from what you are saying (NTSC) it will work in US and UK - if you buy in UK it will only work in UK???

Anyway the PAL NTSC should no longer be an issue
It's the screen itself (on the portable player) you need to be careful of - the DVD player might be capable of playing European DVD's but the screen might not be able to handle it if it can only play NTSC.