Reload this Page >

Multiregion DVD player?!?!??!?

Multiregion DVD player?!?!??!?

Old Mar 3rd 2004, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough
Default Multiregion DVD player?!?!??!?

Originally posted by Muswell Hill
I was desperate for some only fools and horses, so treated myself to a multiregion DVD player and shipped over series' 1-5...23 hours of DVD pleasure!!!!!!
What's all this I'm reading??? Multi region DVD player's???? (as posted by Muswell Hill on another thread).

Is there really such a thing? Where do I get one from? Are they expensive? Only this afternoon I was saying to my ol' man 'are we going to flog all our region 2 DVD's?' when suddenly I spot this!

Tell me it's true!
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 9:05 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Multiregion DVD player?!?!??!?

Originally posted by whatever
What's all this I'm reading??? Multi region DVD player's???? (as posted by Muswell Hill on another thread).

Is there really such a thing? Where do I get one from? Are they expensive? Only this afternoon I was saying to my ol' man 'are we going to flog all our region 2 DVD's?' when suddenly I spot this!

Tell me it's true!
Check the following threads:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=region

Old Mar 3rd 2004, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

I now have three cyberhome dvd's and several of our friends have bought them. With a simple modification they will play all region dvd's and are very cheap.

(Switch player on and make sure there is no disc in the tray.
Close tray and press menu,1,9.

A menu should appear with the region option at about the third line from the bottom. Press enter and enter the region you want("0" for free zone) . Next press open/close. )

I bought one at Walmart for $47 and two at Sams Club for $39 - you can now buy them at Best Buy as well apparently.

It is a cyberhome CH 300 DVD - just google it and see what you come up with in your area.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

you also need to make sure either your tv or the dvd player converts PAL signals to NTSC signals.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

MissF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Search for the enabeling info!

Hi.
In Switzerland regional free DVD players are available. If you buy a DVD player that is not region free you can take it in and they will enable the function for you (cost 40$).
However, when I brought mine in the guy just pressed a couple buttons on the remote and typed in a number.. I recommend searching for the unlocking code online...

Cheers
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Multiregion DVD player?!?!??!?

Cheers mate
Old Mar 4th 2004, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Duncan Roberts
you also need to make sure either your tv or the dvd player converts PAL signals to NTSC signals.
The cyberhome supports both PAL and NTSC - I can also burn mpg's from my computer and play them on it.
Old Mar 4th 2004, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light

Check out this site.

You can search for particular models of dvd players to see if anyone's found a method of changing the region coding. There's some pretty good accounts of how well (or not) the players perform with region 2/PAL disks, so may help you when shopping.

Using this site, I plumped for a Philips 727, which not only looks pretty, but is supposed to play region 2 disks very well. Also, for under $80, surely you can't go wrong! Touch wood. I haven't tested it yet, as my dvd collection is somewhere mid-atlantic (or so I'm told). With any luck, the disks and the rest of my junk will arrive in a couple of weeks!
Old Mar 4th 2004, 1:37 pm
former Rochesterian

katina is an unknown quantity at this point

We have one from Hong Kong that works pretty well.
Old Mar 4th 2004, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I still stand by my Malata DVP-520.

Its not the cheapest player but has multiple outputs, it can be used in every country except France, and you can do x y scaling when widescreen UK DVDs mess up. Plus all the usual bells and whistles.