Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Multi Region DVD Players

Multi Region DVD Players

Old Nov 19th 2005, 11:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Multi Region DVD Players

Originally Posted by Roadster280
Good deal Ray! I just ordered one. I cant believe they can profitably make these things in Asia, ship to the US and then distribute within the US for 20 dollars. Shocking. But thanks!
because all the parts are standard parts that have been flogged in other machines like the rom chips and decoders etc...
Old Nov 19th 2005, 11:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toontje
What about making a laptop multiregion?

Aspire 1804WSMi
http://www.dvdregionmaster.com/ software to by-pass the region protection of a dvd drive...

Another one, DVD Decrypter, that's good, but the website's down right now..

Last edited by Bob; Nov 19th 2005 at 11:47 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

jamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Multi Region DVD Players

Well thankyou all for the great info. Will go check if there's an easy hack for the JVC. My $40 memorex just went Kaput so I think I will get the cyberhome one to replace it. You can't beat $20 for a DVD player.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

or.... go download dvd shrink for free.... All you do then is use this to backup one of your dvd's and it will make a perfect copy in region free format!

I have backed up all my brit dvd's so they will work everywhere in the us!

of course you will need a pc with a dvd write drive
Old Nov 20th 2005, 1:54 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by basementwaj
or.... go download dvd shrink for free.... All you do then is use this to backup one of your dvd's and it will make a perfect copy in region free format!

I have backed up all my brit dvd's so they will work everywhere in the us!

of course you will need a pc with a dvd write drive

And either the software Bob mentioned or a hacked ROM for your DVD drives if you are using DVDs from different regions on a single PC. Of course, once you've removed the region coding, it will then play anywhere.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 2:52 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
No, just a $30 DVD player, that's the beauty of it
Not entirely true that. If you don't have a relatively modern TV, or a DVD player with a built in PAL/NTSC converter then you will have a problem. This is because of the different number of lines in the two different systems. We had an older TV (about 5 or 6 years old) and when connecting my portable DVD player from the UK to it, the picture was black and white and the picture was not aligned properly, with part of the picture cut off.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
Not entirely true that. If you don't have a relatively modern TV, or a DVD player with a built in PAL/NTSC converter then you will have a problem. This is because of the different number of lines in the two different systems. We had an older TV (about 5 or 6 years old) and when connecting my portable DVD player from the UK to it, the picture was black and white and the picture was not aligned properly, with part of the picture cut off.

Yes but if you buy the US Cyberhome its out put signal is NTSC just playing the UK discs - this works as i have an older TV that did not take my PAL output signal on a DVD player until i changed the out put.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

i know what you mean about the black and white screen..... but all tvs made in the last 3-4 years are pretty much compatible with pal and ntsc inputs. i guess the big players in tv production are making a standard unit and shipping it worldwide, just putting different plugs on em
Old Nov 20th 2005, 5:31 pm
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

I get mine from .... Bombay Electronics They are in Chicago.
I also purchased a multiregion TV from there as well ... My latest purchase was the Coby DVD player ... it plays any DVD on any TV. and cost $45. Its no bigger than a paperback book so its portable as well.

http://www.bombayelectronics.com/

Old Nov 20th 2005, 5:33 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
http://www.dvdregionmaster.com/ software to by-pass the region protection of a dvd drive...

Another one, DVD Decrypter, that's good, but the website's down right now..

Is there a popular Mac version for this stuff? I've been messing with VLC and some other stuff (a bit cautious about f**king with firmware).
Old Nov 20th 2005, 6:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

didn't read the spec then? it has multi out put, which makes it a great gift for the UK as it outputs a PAL signal as well as a NTSC one...
Old Nov 20th 2005, 6:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Is there a popular Mac version for this stuff? I've been messing with VLC and some other stuff (a bit cautious about f**king with firmware).
For getting around the region code? Wouldn't have a clue...is region coding a problem with macs? I know they ain't with Linux, but that's a whole new story I guess...

VLC is a good player, and for dvd's it ain't to bad, but if your OS and DVD drive are region coded/locked, VLC wont' do much for you...and if there isn't a mac software hack, that does leave the firmware hack, but your right, best avoid that is possible because it'll void warranty as well as risk killing the drive if it goes wrong...
Old Nov 20th 2005, 7:39 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
didn't read the spec then? it has multi out put, which makes it a great gift for the UK as it outputs a PAL signal as well as a NTSC one...
Now, why would I bother reading everything? I was just pointing out that even if something says it's multi region it might not help if you don't have the right sort of TV. If this one outputs both then you're good to go, so I stand corrected.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 10:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Now, why would I bother reading everything? I was just pointing out that even if something says it's multi region it might not help if you don't have the right sort of TV. If this one outputs both then you're good to go, so I stand corrected.
The Coby is the default player of recommendation around here, mainly because it's cheap, has decent sound/video, really easy to hack with the remote, it's multi output and multi voltage, small, so makes a great present...i generally wouldn't be recommending a lemon
Old Nov 21st 2005, 3:11 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Thats why I pointed the above out ..... it works on all the Tv's we have in the house .. the multi region one ... and all the NTSC ones. Don't ask me for all the tecnical doin's all I know if that I can finally watch all my UK DVD's (not to mention vcd's )

I finally got to show the kids Father Ted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.