British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to Vegas and Credit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-vegas-credit-805840/)

Yorkieabroad Aug 20th 2013 6:02 pm

Re: Moving to Vegas and Credit

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10860433)
out in the 'burbs the incidence of break-ins, especially at night,

Round our way, most of the burglaries seem to be mid morning - "they" seem to know which houses have 2 working parents, and no dogs, and target them. The established method is to go in by smashing the Master Bathroom window, (which is rarely alarmed, and usually in a concealed area), giving them access to jewelry and what have you in the closets, often a tv or other electronics in the bedroom. After they've cleaned that out, they make a dash into the family room, triggering the motion alarms which then gives them about 8-10 minutes to grab what they can and get out before the police arrive. My Sil was hit in exactly this manner a couple of years ago.
Got this from a Police Officer that came to give a talk to the Cub Pack a while ago. He reckoned alarms are very little deterrent now - better (according to him) is video cameras with online recording, ideally covering all the entry points. He reckoned that if you only have a 2 camera system, have one covering the master bath/blind side, and one covering the front door

He also reckoned that the incidence in our subdivision is significantly below average because our HOA pay for an extra patrol car to be in the area, so response time is down to 2.5 minutes - Thank you, HOA!

Londonswan Sep 18th 2013 6:56 am

Hi,
We moved to Vegas a couple of months ago and here are some things we hope you find handy to know.

Someone mentioned about your UK credit score having no influence here, which is true, however, we printed out copies of our credit reports from UK before we left, and showed it to our landlord. This actually put us ahead of others who were after the same property as we could show excellent credit history.

We rented a touch outside summerlin, but got a five bed, 3 bath 3000 sq ft place with pool for $1800 which is less than the rent in London for a 600 sq ft flat!

Cars are expensive, and what we would consider to be high mileage (say 100k) is nothing here. They are essential though as public transport is limited to say the least.

Driving test does have to be done within 30 days, but it's easy enough. You can go onto the Nevada DMV website and download the driving test manual. A quick read of this and you will pass the written part easily. I asked a driving school to give me an hour lesson which was enough to pick up tips. (Ie take test at Decateur test centre on a non school day) don't worry about parking part either, I could have fit a coach in the space they allow.
Credit card, I did get one easily enough, but with a low limit ($2000). Did it online with Bank of America who couldn't give me a decision online, but card appeared a week later.
Give me a shout if you have any specific questions.

Can understand why people knock Vegas, but I would just wish they would spend a few weeks off strip in the suburbs and then you will see what a great small city it is (well certainly compared to London!)

Poppy girl Sep 18th 2013 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Londonswan (Post 10906177)
Hi,
We moved to Vegas a couple of months ago and here are some things we hope you find handy to know.

Someone mentioned about your UK credit score having no influence here, which is true, however, we printed out copies of our credit reports from UK before we left, and showed it to our landlord. This actually put us ahead of others who were after the same property as we could show excellent credit history.

We rented a touch outside summerlin, but got a five bed, 3 bath 3000 sq ft place with pool for $1800 which is less than the rent in London for a 600 sq ft flat!

Cars are expensive, and what we would consider to be high mileage (say 100k) is nothing here. They are essential though as public transport is limited to say the least.

Driving test does have to be done within 30 days, but it's easy enough. You can go onto the Nevada DMV website and download the driving test manual. A quick read of this and you will pass the written part easily. I asked a driving school to give me an hour lesson which was enough to pick up tips. (Ie take test at Decateur test centre on a non school day) don't worry about parking part either, I could have fit a coach in the space they allow.
Credit card, I did get one easily enough, but with a low limit ($2000). Did it online with Bank of America who couldn't give me a decision online, but card appeared a week later.

Can understand why people knock Vegas, but I would just wish they would spend a few weeks off strip in the suburbs and then you will see what a great small city it is (well certainly compared to London!)

We just got back from Vegas on Monday night, and have a friend who is a GC holder there plus he works for a law firm he has been there for 3 years and I said to him about ID in conversation he said he uses his UK licence :blink: I said you can't its not valid and he said yes it is they know my circumstances ie GC holder etc and still insure me DMV is aware as well when he bought his car in CA and registered in NV I am lost!!

Pulaski Sep 18th 2013 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 10906698)
We just got back from Vegas on Monday night, and have a friend who is a GC holder there plus he works for a law firm he has been there for 3 years and I said to him about ID in conversation he said he uses his UK licence :blink: I said you can't its not valid and he said yes it is they know my circumstances ie GC holder etc and still insure me DMV is aware as well when he bought his car in CA and registered in NV I am lost!!

He works for a law firm? :blink:

Poppy girl Sep 18th 2013 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10906713)
He works for a law firm? :blink:

He does indeed... I am miffed he just smiles like I am the dim one, I said to him "if you have an accident you're in deep water he said the cops have even pulled over him for a DUI and he was not drinking....beats me I have no answer to this!

civilservant Sep 18th 2013 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Londonswan (Post 10906176)

You got a CC with $2k a couple of weeks off the boat? Did you provide your UK credit report?

Londonswan Sep 19th 2013 5:11 am

Yes, the $2000 credit card was a virgin Atlantic one (I had a similar one in the UK) just remembered that they did call it an expat card, so that may have helped.

Now just got to hope that all those virgin airmiles can be used at some point!